Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

sirius 60-300 macro lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:47 am    Post subject: sirius 60-300 macro lens Reply with quote

any info on how good this thing is. I can't seem to find any info on it as to who it was made by how good the lens is or anything

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a few lenses with this brand name, I presume they're reasonably late lenses as they look a bit plasticky?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure when they came out. can't find anything on them really.

here at least is a picture of one

http://img.2dehands.be/f/normal/52603836_5-mooie-camera-canon-t50-en-toebehoren-goeie-staat.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotted one of those on Oz Ebay. More then likely not a great performer.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a well-known and very good Tamron SP 60-300 and a rather unknown but similarly good Soligor 60-300.
Don't know about the one you have spotted, but the one in the picture is very different from the Tamron and the Soligor.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been trying to find some information on Sirius, with no success.
I have a Sirius 28mm in OM fit, about late 70s, and it's middle of the road, quality-wise. I'd suppose most of the Sirius range to about the same - usable, but not outstanding. I suspect they were Cosinas or similar.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the launch of the Sirius brand in the UK some time in the 1980s, I think they were mostly Korean-built.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Sirius lenses Reply with quote

In the UK they were sold - for a time at least - as a "house brand" by one of the biggest UK photo-wholesalers. Prices were below those of Tokina or Tamron so they were clearly seen as budget-price lenses. Probably not a lens to spend very much money on ... although it could actually be good !

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen very similar 60-300 lenses sold under the Sears brand.

This is my 75-300 Cosina, it has some similar characteristics -

http://forum.mflenses.com/cosina-75-300-4-5-5-6-pk-mount-rescued-from-destruction-t15643,highlight,cosina.html