Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cosina 75-300/4.5-5.6 PK mount - rescued from destruction
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:36 am    Post subject: Cosina 75-300/4.5-5.6 PK mount - rescued from destruction Reply with quote

I picked this thing up for nothing, as it was broken and came with another lens. I thought I might disassemble the thing and use it for the mount or helical, to mount other lenses.

It looks like someone used it a very great deal indeed. Its worn all over, and the lettering is completely worn off in spots.

It is broken, the stop-down mechanism in the PK mount doesn't work, so its just a full manual lens. I'll see if I can repair it.

However ! As a manual lens it does work very well ! After trying it out I can't bring myself to use it for projects.

Its a very close-focusing lens (as usual for later zooms), going down to 5ft/1.5m, which is very useful for a 300mm. "Macro" on this thing is just a matter of focusing closer. The helical is quite smooth and responsive. It "creeps", but I was using the thing at 300mm only anyway. And being manual aperture, I can use Av mode on the Pentax. Its also very light, but quite sturdy. Its no strain carrying it.

This is a perfectly sharp lens, reaching the limits of my sensor wide-open, at f/5.6. No problems with contrast or flare and not a trace of CA or color fringes. In other words, this "free", "parts or repair" zoom lens may be one of my best 300mm.

The bird -

crop -

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another "crap" lens in you hands what produce great result Wink

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, there is nothing wrong with that performance at all. Coming from an economy zoom at max throw yet, congrats on giving the lens a chance. Fwiw, I removed that lever intentionally on lenses so I could close them down when mounted on the K20 (on the ones I wasn't able to switch between auto and manual anyways).

K.