Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

SMC M 28/3.5 - "Venezia" - 1st selection
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: SMC M 28/3.5 - "Venezia" - 1st selection Reply with quote

This SMC M 28/3.5 I got for 36 Euro and I couldn't believe the results of my first "developed" shots.
It's a perfect walk around lens for touristic purposes Smile
- distortions well controlled
- very flare resistant
- sharpness: wow
- corner sharpnes perfect
I was in Venice one week ago, and had it mounted on for most of the time. It's very small and light and great for manual focusing. Very much lighter than the bulky SMC K 28/2 (distagon), I also didn't dear to bring it to Italy ...

Here are some first shots which I just took a look at:
(a lot more coming soon)

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some more

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

100% Crop

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb series which makes me want to go there someday... Very Happy

And of course, the SMC 28/3.5 is a great lens. My examples did not perform too well in the corners, however. The lens performs even worse on Sigma SD14 cameras (the Foveon sensor in the Sigma does not like the light entering the sensor in a sharp angle, causing all sorts of bad abberations).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Peter !

Hope you mean the same lens. this is not SMC 28/3.5 (also known as SMC K 28/3.5), this is SMC M 28/3.5. There is a lot of difference between those 2 lenses I noticed.
The old K version seems a tack sharper ovrall, maybe the sharpest lens I have. It makes slightly darker colors (brownish, could be the old glass as well), not as saturned as the M version and is easier to focus.

http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/lenses/primes/wide-angle/M28f3.5.html

http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/lenses/primes/wide-angle/K28f3.5.html

from SMC 28 I have now with my personal ranking: K28/3.5, K28/2, M28/3.5, M28/2.8 and A28/2.8.

K28/3.5 and K28/2 stand out but M28/3.5 is a good competitor.
A28/2.8 one should avoid.

Quote:
The lens performs even worse on Sigma SD14 cameras

interesting,
... BTW can you actually mount K-mount lenses on the 5D ? did you try the K28/3.5 on the 5D?

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great trip, superb results

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely photos, to me it seems that all Asahi 28/3.5's perform well, they have an even handed way with saturation, color, gradation etc.

Having compared two Takumar 28's (Super and S-M-C) with a SMC-A 28/2.8 I can't explain why the consensus rankings are as they are. Based on what I saw, on a K100D, is that all three resolve very close to each other - the SMC-A a smidge better. Color, saturation and tonal gradations to me are close enough that I wouldn't be able to pick which is which. The K lens as far as I know is the same as the S-M-C.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I HATE YOU TOBBS! Laughing Supremely stunning set, and looking forward to
more! Shocked Cool

They are all aces, but really love the canal shots.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks !

Quote:
Having compared two Takumar 28's (Super and S-M-C) with a SMC-A 28/2.8 I can't explain why the consensus rankings are as they are. Based on what I saw, on a K100D, is that all three resolve very close to each other - the SMC-A a smidge better. Color, saturation and tonal gradations to me are close enough that I wouldn't be able to pick which is which. The K lens as far as I know is the same as the S-M-C.

@Nesster
yes, those Pentax 28's are very close to each other but still very noticeable different in resolution:
Check out this great resolution charts from Yoshihiko's page which show interesting results between all those Asahi 28's.

http://www.takinami.com/yoshihiko/photo/lens_test/pentax_28-30.html

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb captures and such good quality!

I was in Venice once, but did at that time only bring a small compact camera, just because it was my first digital camera. Can't really forgive myself for that.