Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mónica - Fashion Portfolio 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Mónica - Fashion Portfolio 3 Reply with quote

Another photoshoot. This time I used Contax 645 too but I haven't got the pictures yet.

These were taken with 400D + Carl Zeiss Planar T* 85mm f/1.4

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These aresuperb! I wish you will be able to own a 5D or 5D MkII and use all of the potantial of that Zeiss Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too extreme for me or just simple not met with my taste. (What is doesn't matter Wink)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Too extreme for me or just simple not met with my taste. (What is doesn't matter Wink)

imo, fashion photography needs being at least a little extreme Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ivo,

I'm not sure that I am liking your latest style.
I found your home made portfolio images more careful about the lighting and the composition.
In your latest efforts in the studio, I see a lot of one-light directional spotlight without the use of any fill techniques. This generates strong images but also areas where you lose all detail. For example the breast area in picture #2, has no detail at all, and breast area is not a secondary importance area in fashion photography.
Also I am not convinced by your choice of cropping, in these two images you cut the hands from the arms. This happens in both photos but it's especially abrupt in image #2, where that raised arm with no hand calls for attention and really doesn't work (for me). I would like #2 much better if it was cropped into a portrait and cut above the breasts.

Sorry for the critiques, but since you are pursuing a career, I think that my honest opinion might be of some help even if not pleasing. You have talent, you already proved it, so I expect to see more from you Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yalcinaydin wrote:
Attila wrote:

imo, fashion photography needs being at least a little extreme Smile

Yes, indeed a little extreme really nice, I found these photos didn't keep anything from a young pretty lady.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments.

My last photographs were taken in one way I don't like very much.

I went to the studio and my boss told me. "Take this girl and make some photos".

I didn't think in anything to do and I had to use what I could at that moment.

He tells me to not think to much in tehcnic because he knows I know it so he wants to see me doing photography just for "fun". Enjoying it without thinking.

I think my unconscious went to strong imagens with abrupt cuts.
Usually I think in all that details but in these last photographs I try to capture the model's feeling and soul and I didn't care with her arms, hands, legs...

My boss tells me that this is only an exercise. I can do what I want and f*ck the rules...

Hope I'm explaining me well. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lazzaros wrote:
... I can do what I want and f*ck the rules...

As long as it is only the rules... Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

As long as it is only the rules... Wink

I could think of an alternative to the rules Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like them a lot! #2 is the best, personally I would have liked a little more DOF so the shadow would have been more sharp to give it an edge/roughness Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem was the low light I had.

I was using f/2.8 at 1/60 I think and 200 ISO.

With 400D I didn't want to use an higher ISO to avoid noise...

:S

Wich I have a 5D Mark II.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ivo, tell your boss to give you decent lights!
At least two, and with the possibility of some diffuser of sort.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio I had all that light possibilities.

I had 4 cinema projections and a lot difusers if I wanted.

But in this case I went for one light source with strong contrast. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty good, but not equal to your good stuff, in my opinion...but, that's just me. If you were going for hard shadows, then it's a success.

The model certainly didn't exactly break out into a smile did she? Very Happy

Best to you,
Larry

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be hones I have any picture with her smiling.

For now it was my last "hard shadow" session Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lazzaros wrote:
To be hones I have any picture with her smiling.

For now it was my last "hard shadow" session Very Happy

Hi Lazzaros,

Hard shadows can work well.

Think about 1950's 60's 35mm film, ASA 400 Tri-X with some grain. It really has a special character.

Something like this (Toned with Blue) (Not the best but illustrates the point)

Jules

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ivo
These are very sexy edgy works
I think in the genre they are very effective.
Your framing is great in it's perspective but does cut maybe an akward view. Stay with it. The single/point source lighting has been an element of your portraits for some time. I think it can be a signature fir you in your fashion/glam work.

Cheers
Andy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I choosed this "style" because some time ago when I was starting I only had one way to photograph: using one of that constructions light projector.

Now I can use some cinema projectors (and flash equipment too) and I try to do better with it.

I like that cinematographic look to be honest.

(I have to say I love flash light too)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this message is outdated and deleted!

Last edited by Aykman on Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Lulalake

I have to be honest, I think I am missing the point in the picture of the boy. You can not even see the right part of his face, it is drowned in white.
Maybe it's a cool effect but to me it looks like overdoing it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aykman wrote:

In a time were people only shoot "flowers", "interior furniture with a lot of bokeh" or "not-well-looking-family-members"

Yeah, what is it with all that? Some days it's like opening a seed or furniture catalogue.

Quote:

The girls in my area.....try to look cool and then they look just....well....like they ate something wrong Smile

I know, it's the over-indulgence in cheap burgers and chips, here. Smile There's nothing quite like a belly top with half an acre of belly hanging out of it. Don't they get it - that crop tops are for skinny girls?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aykman wrote:

All in all.....good job. In a time were people only shoot "flowers", "interior furniture with a lot of bokeh" or "not-well-looking-family-members" your work shows some seriouse engagement in photography. Critism is okay if constructive..........but I think they guys are little hard with you.

Sorry, but: who are you to sentence that my criticism wasn't constructive?
I have always supported Ivo and even fought a hard battle on this group to defend his right to publish the pictures he wants against censorship.

Now he's learning how to be a pro and in my opinion, he can use more criticism than the simple hobbyist. I am not going to make criticism on a guy who works 9 to 5 on his day job and then comes home tired and take his camera out in the evening to have some fun - that would be just wrong.

But since Ivo is going to enter a competitive market I think that he can use the best advice that we can give him here - which does not mean that we are right and he is wrong - it can well be the other way around, but every serious criticism that he can get is food for his brain - things to think about, and then he and he alone will decide what to take of this criticism, and what to ignore because not useful.

If I think that Ivo cropped badly an arm, there is no two ways to tell it (one constructive and one unconstructive), there is only one way which is to just say it. Then if he thinks that the crop is good, he will keep it! The decision is his, not anyone else's.

One final note: if you are so disturbed by the kind of photographs that is posted here, and by the images of the relatives of the people who post here, why don't you make yourself a favour and go browsing some other forums with better pictures and sexier-looking relatives? Thank you.

-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lazzaros pics are perfect for advertising
I can imagine some legend
drink & pink
smoke & dream
bite & fly