Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Bubbles and hazing?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Bubbles and hazing? Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I have a Tamron Adaptall 105mm F2.5 with bubbles in the glass. So far no big problem, although there's a lot of them Sad . But now I noticed that in the edges the bubbles have some kind of hazing around them. I never saw anything like this.

Here's a pic:

Red are regular bubbles.
Yellow are edge bubbles with opacity around them.

Does anyone have a clue?

BTW, I'm selling this together with the 24mm (which I've got on sale for a while now) and a 135mm. Didn't put here because I know you guys have better glass on the 24mm and 135mm category...

If its something nasty, I'll keep the lens, its a nice portrait lens and its not easy to come by a 105mm auto aperture lens...

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbles! Are you sure? More likely water droplets maybe. You may get the odd bubble in glass but not that many.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water? Wouldn't they move?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd think they would... I don't know, they just seemed too numerous to be bubbles. Maybe the residue of a condensation 'event'. I guess you'd have to take it apart and have a look.

Where are you selling it?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.
I could put it in the fridge for a bit to see if there is a difference, if its condensation it should show, right?

I'm selling it on Pentaxforuns. I'm selling to help get a Sigma 17-70mm Embarassed in time for Edi festival.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has the lens ever been left in a hot places and used right afterward??

Looks more like specks of grease/oil.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used it for a while, I've got new 135mm I'm checkign out.
It has been hotter in Edi for the last weeks.
I haven't checked well, bu tthe blades would be oily too right?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those halo spots might be early stage of fungus infection.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also thought of that, but I never saw fungus like that. Strange thing is they seem to be around the bubbles not in random glass.
The only way to check it up for sure is to op[en up the lens I suppose Crying or Very sad .

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sold it Confused, declared it as having fungus.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

. . .

concern dropped

Last edited by Blue on Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:44 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big deal. The problem wasn't hidden, indeed it was brought into the open by the seller. Hardly the actions of a shady dealer.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received interest of lens after I showed all the pics.
I showed pics taken by the lens after this and sold it with a minimal drop in price. What I thought was equivalent to me opening up the lens myself.

I would still like to know what it is. I still find the answer must be in the fact that the opacity apears around the bubbles and not randomly.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also say the bubbles are oil drops which happens when the lens is kept in a hot place and the hazy ones are signs of starting fungus. I had similar cases...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe its oil for oil to spread into so many tiny doplets it would have to have been vaporized. And theres allot of them, and there is no coalescence between droplet. I pit it in the fridge for a while, temperature dropped notoriously, no change. Put into its case with a silica-gel bag, no change.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of original Tamron Adaptalls with spots like that. It looks like it's an issue with the BBAR coating possibly, as I've certainly not seen fungus like that before!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dnas wrote:
Has the lens ever been left in a hot places and used right afterward??

Looks more like specks of grease/oil.

There is a reason I asked this question. If it's been left in a hot place (e.g. in the car, where it could get to 70 degrees celcius) and the camera is then used, the stopping down of the aperture during shutter actuation, could flick spots of melted grease onto the edges of the lens like that.

Another question. WHERE are the spots? Are they on a lens element near the aperture blades, or are they on the front or rear elements? That would give an idea of where the spots came from

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spots seem to be in the second glass element or lens group. Its in front of the blades.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I'm thinking it may have been spots of melted grease, flicked onto those lens elements from the aperture blades.

I've tried to clean a Konica lens that didn't just have a few spots of grease in this area, but a whole spray of grease had flicked onto the elements from the aperture blades. Sadly, the grease had been on there so long that it had almost baked itself on!!!! This doesn't seem to be all that uncommon for Konica zooms.