Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best MF wide preferably under $500 ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Best MF wide preferably under $500 ? Reply with quote

I all, my name is Stefan Kristinsson and I've been reading this board for awhile but never registered before now. Smile I live in Iceland and have a photoblog at www.icelandphotoblog.com

Anyway, like you see on my photoblog I have been photographing Aurora Borealis past 2 seasons. However, I have only had Tokina 12-24 f/4 to work with... I would like to get a wide prime f/2.8 or better before the start of next Aurora season.

My camera is Nikon D80 and I will probably not be able to upgrade that before next season.

I'm open for all suggestions!

Sincerely,
Falcon1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Very Happy
You have beautiful images on your website.
I think with Nikon you cannot attach so much MF lenses because of the shorter register distance. With Canon EOS there will be no problem. You need an optical adapter or maybe it is possible to adjust some lenses in the barrel to reach infinity with Nikon.
Some Nikon people may give you some advice.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, Stefan.
Very interesting photos there.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be a Zenitar fisheye available with Nikon mount. If I'm wrong please correct me.
Else, look for some old nikkor wides such as the 3.5/20, which is very good and usually comes at an acceptable price.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a mention recently of the Tokina 17, which comes in a Nikon mount and is not too expensive. It is also quite a decent lens

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Best MF wide preferably under $500 ? Reply with quote

falcon1 wrote:
I all, my name is Stefan Kristinsson and I've been reading this board for awhile but never registered before now. Smile I live in Iceland and have a photoblog at www.icelandphotoblog.com

Anyway, like you see on my photoblog I have been photographing Aurora Borealis past 2 seasons. However, I have only had Tokina 12-24 f/4 to work with... I would like to get a wide prime f/2.8 or better before the start of next Aurora season.

My camera is Nikon D80 and I will probably not be able to upgrade that before next season.

I'm open for all suggestions!

Sincerely,
Falcon1

Welcome!

There is plenty ! Unfortunately only a few of them fit for Nikon.

I think all Nikkor prime is decent lenses. Personally I have experience with 3.5/20mm Nikkor UD I love it. Nikkor 18mm f3.5 wasn't that good what I did expect before.

Tamron SP 17mm f3.5 can be good also. Look some Russian too they are frequently come in Nikkon mount.

A good copy of Zenitar 16mm unbeatable.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for warm welcome and kind comments about my photographs. Smile

I tried once Nikkor 28mm f/2.8 AIS on my Nikon D80 and it seemed to work properly. I didn't test it very well though. I didn't notice problems with infinity in my quick test. However, I'm rather new on MF lenses so maybe I wasn't testing well enough. Smile

F/3.5 is too slow for my intended use... I need at least f/2.8 lens to be able get better photographs of Aurora Borealis with more features and also (hopefully) less noise. Smile

The Zenitar 16mm sounds nice but it seems to be fisheye lens, I would rather take non-fisheye. Do you have any samples taken with this lens?

Thank you all for your replies so far. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any MF lens with Nikon mount will fit.
There is only infinity problem with other MF lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MF-addicted wrote:
Damn! Is Canon better in this respect? Shocked

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the brief period I had it, the AiS Nikkor 24mm f2 seemed to be a great wideangle prime.

There are Zenitar 16mm for Nikon mount as well as Peleng 8mm, but those are fisheye so you'll get your share of barrel distortion.

There's also a Nikon mount Arsat 20/2.8, but I don't know anything about it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nikkor 24/2 AIS is a very fine lens, and should certainly be less than $500. I shall post a sample if I can find one

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

falcon1 wrote:
MF-addicted wrote:

Register distance Nikon F = 46.5mm
Register distance Canon EF = 44mm
Register distance M42 = 45.46mm

Lenses with register distance larger or same than original can be mounted (for reaching infinity).
On Nikon everything larger than 46.5mm fits.
For example Nikon lenses and M42 lenses can be fitted to Canon (without correction lens) but not the other way round. Crying or Very sad

http://www.photoethnography.com/ClassicCameras/index-frameset.html?Lens-adapters.html~mainFrame

http://www.nikonians.org/nikon/slr-lens.html

http://www.flickr.com/groups/365610@N21/discuss/72157605106176591/

Last edited by MF-addicted on Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link for wide angel lens:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/365610@N21/discuss/72157619573940847/

Last edited by MF-addicted on Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20mm f/4 AI Best Ultrawide Film Lens
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/20f4.htm

28mm f/2.8 AI-s Nikon's sharpest wide angle lens
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/28f28ais.htm

Ken Rockwell said Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

donTTouchonlywatch wrote:
20mm f/4 AI Best Ultrawide Film Lens
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/20f4.htm

Too slow. Sad

28mm f/2.8 AI-s Nikon's sharpest wide angle lens
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/28f28ais.htm

Not wide enough for my DX sensor Nikon D80. Sad

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

falcon1 wrote:
MF-addicted wrote:

If landscapes is what you are after ... perhaps you should try to see if you can get a Canon 5D (full frame).

Wide will be Wide, e.g. comparing Canon 5D to Canon 40D or Nikon D80.

24mm (on film camera)
Canon 5D = 24mm
Canon 40D =38.4mm
Nikon D80 = 36mm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But doesn't Nikon also do a couple of full frames? Somewhat less cost than the 5MkII

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
But doesn't Nikon also do a couple of full frames? Somewhat less cost than the 5MkII

patrickh
Nikon does have the D700 which is about $300 less than the 5MkII. Then of course Nikon also have D3 and D3x but that is way beyond my budget reach. Sad

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:

patrickh

note ... i wrote 5D, not 5D mark2.

These are now going for approx usd1000~1100 used.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My misread Alex Embarassed Embarassed
but still the D300 comes in as very good value

patrickh