Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How long to wash resin coated paper?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: How long to wash resin coated paper? Reply with quote

Tonight, or in the next weekend, I am going to try making my first enlarger prints!! Very Happy

I'd like to know how long do you wash resin coated prints for archival purpose (not simple test). This is something I forgot to ask at the course.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the chemicals shouldn't have got into the fibres, the normal washing time of 4 or 5 minutes should suffice. It might be worth a try to see if there's any degradation of the emulsion if you leave one washing for thirty minutes or more. I suspect there won't be.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave.
Would you wash it in running water all the time, or just a first pass under running water, then soaked into a still water tray?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Thanks Dave.
Would you wash it in running water all the time, or just a first pass under running water, then soaked into a still water tray?

I did it both ways and never noticed any difference. Just to be on the safe side, and to conserve some water, I would do as you suggest and then give a final running water rinse just to take away any last trace. With RC paper it seemed to be non-critical. When RC papers came out it was like a new age in the darkroom. I hadn't done a huge amount of darkroom stuff until then, but fibre papers were a pita, for all that, and it wasn't until RC appeared that I realised just what a pita they were Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again!
I plan to make fiber based prints in the future Laughing Good to know in advance they're a pita. Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mind you, this goes back some 30 years... don't leave the rc paper in the rinse too long as the water begins to swell up the fibers along the edges.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice!

Once hanged, how long does it take for a medium size print like 13x18 cm to dry completely?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ilford pdf that Graham put up has this in it;
Quote:
Washing RC paper

Fresh, running water

When it is important to obtain a print in the
shortest possible time, vigorously wash ILFORD
resin coated papers for 30 seconds in running
water.

Prolonged immersion in water can cause edge
penetration and print curl with resin coated
papers: for this reason, avoid wet times longer
than 15 minutes.

So, 30 mins is right out.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wash two minutes using a syphon. Like this kinda:

(original picture here: http://www.geocities.com/minoltaphotographyw/williameugenesmith.html )