Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Olympus XA - Skyrocketing the prices!!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:35 am    Post subject: Olympus XA - Skyrocketing the prices!!! Reply with quote

Yes, I lost my opportunity of getting one of those fancy Zuiko mounted rangefinders.

Past year it was common to get them to a price in between 25 & 35 USD.
Now they have been converted into a "cult" object and the prices have raised in such a way that they have gotten out of my reach...

The last one I was bidding for: Click here to see on Ebay

Sold by 116,50 USD.

Kind regards,

Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats for you and Bill! Wink

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Congrats for you and Bill! Wink

Not for me, unfortunately I didn't get any so far... Sad

Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh sorry, seems Bill did only superb pictures I thought you too.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Oh sorry, seems Bill did only superb pictures I thought you too.

Yes, I took some pictures with one XA that was temporary lent to me by a friend.... Sad

You have a bright memory, Attila Wink!!

Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just seen one for sale... Please hang on.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Olympus XA - Skyrocketing the prices!!! Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
Yes, I lost my opportunity of getting one of those fancy Zuiko mounted rangefinders.

Past year it was common to get them to a price in between 25 & 35 USD.
Now they have been converted into a "cult" object and the prices have raised in such a way that they have gotten out of my reach...

The last one I was bidding for: Click here to see on Ebay

Sold by 116,50 USD.

Kind regards,

Jes.

That's a very well laid-out auction, though. Such presentations usually get a far better final price than most.

http://tinyurl.com/xa-final-prices

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's about one of the highest prices i've ever seen for an Xa. But basically:

1) wonderful presentation as Farside said: there are about 30 pics of the camera, full technical details and further function details;
2) It came with its original packaging, its flash, plus flash and camera instructions in very good conditions;
3) the guy is selling from the US (i usually see way more people bidding for object from the US, most likely to be US themeselves).

To tell the truth, the camera has a few more marks and wears than i would expect for the price it reached.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, anything above $50 is too much for an XA - it certainly is not a better camera than the 35 RC (which tends to go well below $50). Indeed, it is even inferior to the mju:II (which can be had almost for free) - at any rate if you are more user than collector and can appreciate a reliably working AF over the absolute minimum rangefinder. Both are quite similar to the XA in size (though the edgy shape of the RC makes it seem bigger), have quite considerably superior lenses (so has the XA4, but it shares all other weaknesses of the XA, plus scale focusing), and sport either a serious rangefinder and manual operation, or a reliable AF and built in flash, and overall more longevity and reliability.

Sevo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sevo wrote:
Honestly, anything above $50 is too much for an XA - it certainly is not a better camera than the 35 RC (which tends to go well below $50). Indeed, it is even inferior to the mju:II (which can be had almost for free) - at any rate if you are more user than collector and can appreciate a reliably working AF over the absolute minimum rangefinder. Both are quite similar to the XA in size (though the edgy shape of the RC makes it seem bigger), have quite considerably superior lenses (so has the XA4, but it shares all other weaknesses of the XA, plus scale focusing), and sport either a serious rangefinder and manual operation, or a reliable AF and built in flash, and overall more longevity and reliability.

Sevo

I would have bought the Mju or the Mju 2, cause i love their size and lenses, but AF scares and temptes me at the same time...plus i know they consume more battery.

Which are the weaknesses of the Xa in your opinion? Apart of the patch in the viewfinder and the quite small focus lever, i don't find a lot of weaknesses. Well, shooting with low speed film (100 iso) i've noticed much more the vignetting, but that's all. I pretty much like to have such a small but still good camera to fit into my pocket everyday.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most severe issue with the XA (or at any rate mine) is sudden shutter failure - I've had two crap out on that, with no chance of fixing it short of sacrificing a XA2 for parts. Besides, the rangefinder is too narrow-based and tiny to start with, dims without any reasonable chance of cleaning, and usually has lost much of its precision thanks to age-induced play of the bearings in the composite plastics body. The effective focusing precision on a averagely worn XA is not that much better than guess focusing any more. And the lens positively does not shine against the RC, XA4 or mju, which are optical marvels.

Sevo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sevo wrote:
The most severe issue with the XA (or at any rate mine) is sudden shutter failure - I've had two crap out on that, with no chance of fixing it short of sacrificing a XA2 for parts. Besides, the rangefinder is too narrow-based and tiny to start with, dims without any reasonable chance of cleaning, and usually has lost much of its precision thanks to age-induced play of the bearings in the composite plastics body. The effective focusing precision on a averagely worn XA is not that much better than guess focusing any more. And the lens positively does not shine against the RC, XA4 or mju, which are optical marvels.

Sevo

Eh the rangefinder is pretty small indeed. Even though i haven't ever had problems using the camera under decent light condition. About precision issues, i don't know, mine is pretty good and focuses where i want it to focus.