Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Konica Hexanon Dual FL 21/35
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Konica Hexanon Dual FL 21/35 Reply with quote

Here is an interesting and slightly rare lens.
Konica made a series of M-mount lenses over the years (some L-mount beauties also).
This one is a Dual Focal length 21mm and 35mm not, a zoom.
You can see the ring on the lens that is marked 21 and 35. Simply twist it to change focal lengths.
According to internet chatter. There are a total of 800 of these babies bobbing around out there.
It is a very useful combo for the R D1 and M8 shooter. Really the perfect walking around lens.

Pictured here on the R D1 with the proper external VF from CV and the original hood.
The lens looks quite large but in fact is very manageable and not much bigger than a 50mm plus hood.
There is a scalloped focus tab on the focus ring.
I have to admit this is my very best made lens that I own.
The tolerances are perfect. Focus is perfectly damped. Aperture perfect. Amazing quality.

The images at 35mm actually (Orio will hate me for saying this) come close to rival the ZM Biogon 2/35.
Color, (micro)Contrast, Bokeh all excellent.
At 21mm I have only the CV21 to compare (in RF lens anyway).
This lens seems to have better Contrast and 3D-ness than the CV. Sharpness is equal. CV seems to control distortion better but, not by much.

All Shots Handheld with R D1. The only PP was to set the white balance to 5200 on all shots. Also some exposure comp in Raw. No sharpening done.
Sorry I did miss focus on a couple. You get to see them anyway Smile

At 35mm

Missed focus here a bit

Miss calculated DOF here. Only one of these two clowns is fully focused

A crop

At 21mm

Here Focus is on rock to get an idea of 3D-ness. Hard to tell from this small size. The real shot shows nicely

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice catch Andy and great results!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photos Andy! What a beautiful scenery. And lovely feminine fauna also, both Liza and the other one with only two legs Wink

The lens' images look great, but my ears had a non-working moment so I could not hear well what you said about the comparison with the ZM Biogon Laughing
you know, hearing problems that come with age and all that Laughing

I am really impressed more and more by your Epson camera. Definitely one camera I will need to get someday in the future.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys Smile

Here is a Big version of one shot at 35mm I guess maybe 5.6 by Bokeh.
It will be fun to do a little shoot out with the 3 35mm lenses I have now in M-mount (even though Orio's ears already know the winner) Laughing

Keep clicking on the image until it stops growing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an absolutely fascinating lens. All the convenience of a zoom, without the drawbacks.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big version, excellent image quality!

I would be curious to see large versions of the pictures with the lady alone standing and of the last one with Liza.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Dave
It is a pretty nice lens in use also.
Leica makes the Tri-Elmars. Also multi-Focal length lenses.
I think a 16-18-21 and a 28-35-50.
Those two lenses are very large by comparison.

@ Orio
Here you go. The one of Liza is at 21mm of Sera at 35mm
The light in these two is dramatically different and has great effect on the IQ outcome.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both are very good photos, actually Liza's is beautiful- a great souvenir for you!
But I suspect that the ability of the photographer here in choosing the right moments and poses made the shots really - of course the lens is surely excellent too, but I miss "that special something" that the Biogon gives like in Paco's picture - whatever that was, it was there and I can't find it here - for me, of course.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Biogon 2/35 is undeniably the King of this FL.
That one shot of the little guy is burned in to a lot of peoples memory.

This lens does not make it's equal but is a closer follower non the less.
The convenience of the 2 FL's is sure going to be handy this summer when open aperture shooting is not so important and all lenses become more equal.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks really snazzy especially with the Voigtlander VF mounted!
Congrats, Andy!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice to see this duo-focal designs, i didn't knew Konica made such a lens. Great pics Very Happy