Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Compare Tessar 4.5/40 and Distagon 4/40
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Compare Tessar 4.5/40 and Distagon 4/40 Reply with quote

Summer last year I've bought Mamiya M645 at flea market. I know nothing about film and special medium format but price was so good that it was worth to buy entire set just for parts only. It was camera, winder, lens Mamiya 1.9/80, 2 flashes, charger, 6 rolls of different 120 film, 1 additional insert, aluminum suitcase. I just dropped it in the closet and forgot. Recently I am watching for many beautiful samples from medium format (Lawrence, others). Well, maybe is time to make a try. First I started to read. The next decision was to buy adapters: Hasselblad/Mamiya and P6/Mamiya. This way I can use several Pentacon Six and Hasselblad lenses, Zeiss and Russian. I didn't start to take shots yet for 2 reason:
Meter in camera body doesn't work and even winder works separately I can not fire the shutter using winder attached to camera. To operate camera and lens without winder is very, very uncomfortable. Wednesday next week I have meeting with medium format camera guy.
In mintime I made decision to hunt for best wide angle for hasselblad - Distagon 4/40. I made it. A bit above 50% of regular price for used lens. I tried it also with my Pentax K10D using Hass/PK adapter.
Here we go. No PP was done except resizing and converting to jpg.
@4.0

Then I decided to compare Distagon with Tessar 4.5/40
@4.5

but I received only quasi wide angle with my Pentax using Hasselblad lens. What I see using Hasselblad on Mamiya is similar to shot taken with Flektogon 2.8/20

but is wider, something like this as below, maybe wider

BTW, Distagon with Mamiya looks awesome even without winder Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb bit of kit, Voytek. You'll like using it, once you start. What winder do you have?
I find using it without a winder is ok, but a grip of some sort really helps the ergonomics.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go, go! A whole new world full with magic! Can't wait to see samples!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrific camera-lens combo.
Hasselblad + Distagon means the best you can get for landscape pictures in medium format.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are in image-planet. Enjoy.

Congratulations!! Rino