Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Modifying Canon firmware for focus confirmation?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Modifying Canon firmware for focus confirmation? Reply with quote

There's a website where some people dump powershot firmwares and modify them with their own custom firmware:
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
They haven't done it yet with eos reflex cameras, mainly because all features they add to powershots are already present in high-end cameras. Recently, they have been able to decrypt the 20d, 30d and 400d firmware, and I just realized the number one upgrade we need: focus confirmation without chip!! I'll try to decrypt my 400d firmware and peek into it. Maybe I can do something Smile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that would be a great idea! It could make you a fortune Naplam! Smile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks napalm
please also add liveview

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
please also add liveview

Laughing Laughing Laughing Wink

The EOS 300D has been hacked by some Russian guys some years ago and as an "EOS 310D" (as it was often called) offered similar features to an EOS 10D.

AF-confirmation without the chip, just like in Nikons, would be a great think to have...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep us posted - that would open up a whole load more lenses to Canon owners.

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be incredibly useful, but I'm not holding my breath Smile What would be wonderful would be in-body IS, sadly beyond the reach of firmware.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good thing would be a mode in which when shutter was pressed, the camera didn't fire until focus is confirmed. That would be really helpful for MF shooting. I think Pentaxes do both. Cool

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One times I updated a dvd player firmware and not worked any more.. so be carefully...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juanma wrote:
Another good thing would be a mode in which when shutter was pressed, the camera didn't fire until focus is confirmed. That would be really helpful for MF shooting.

Oh, I hope not. That would be a disaster for me! Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe you all got really excited! I have disassembled the firmware but it will be time consuming to analyze, which means I'll probably be fed up before I do anything actually useful. I've also tried to modify the sensor cleaning animation image but I need to figure out where the file checksum is because it won't accept the modified firmware as is.
Attila wrote:
One times I updated a dvd player firmware and not worked any more.. so be carefully...

I know, it's risky. There's also another way without modifying the firmware, which is how CHDK (the modified firmware for powershots, ixus, g7..) does it; it boots itself from the SD card but it doesn't modify the existing firmware. That may or may not be convenient for confirming focus, I'm not ruling out any option.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
please also add liveview

I guess that's either impossible or quite complicated.

LucisPictor wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Wink

The EOS 300D has been hacked by some Russian guys some years ago and as an "EOS 310D" (as it was often called) offered similar features to an EOS 10D.

AF-confirmation without the chip, just like in Nikons, would be a great think to have...

Yeah, the 300D had a sort of MSDOS. Now they run VxWorks or a propietary Canon OS in the newest cameras. Curiously, it's also russian guys who've made CHDK. I've always wondered why so many russians are into reverse-engineering.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've managed to calculate the file checksum and patch the loader to bypass some other checks, so I can now load in the camera anything I want. Now comes the most complicated/time-consuming work, figuring out how to always confirm focus.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naplam that's amazing

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bravo
I hope you suceed Naplam. Then I hope canon gets wind of it and pisses themselves. These greedy camera companies could treat us all much better. They really hit hard with the prices that are charged. Good of you to hit back Cool

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck Naplam! You do a risky business, but if you will be success...That would be wonderful!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Juanma wrote:
Another good thing would be a mode in which when shutter was pressed, the camera didn't fire until focus is confirmed. That would be really helpful for MF shooting.

Oh, I hope not. That would be a disaster for me! Shocked

Of course, you need to be able to activate and deactivate this feature.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still working on it, erm one quick question, to people who may have slow EF-compatible lenses (or canon teleconverters): when you put a slower than f/5.6 lens (EF-compatible and recognised by the body, not MF w/adapter), does the camera body disable autofocus altogether (because it sees the lens max. aperture is above f/5.6) or does it try to focus (successfully focusing if there's plenty of light)? and if you switch the lens to M, does it confirm focus if there's enough light or confirmation is disabled?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once had an AF Tamron 28-300 that offered only f6.3 at 300mm, but AF worked as usual.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the AF works just to f6.3. The third party makers as Sigma and Tamron know, so their modern slowest AF lenses are no slower than f6.3. After that AF is disconnected.

For example, I recently bought a 2x Kenko teleconverter. That's the MC 7 model. My f4 lenses are now "transformed" to f8. The camera still autofocuses if there is good light, but that's because the teleconverter doesn't tell the camera that it's there, so the camera thinks that it has a f4 lens attached. If the teleconverter were the Canon model, AF would be disabled, because the Canon one tells the camera that it's there, and doubles the focal lenght and the aperture, and at f8, AF is disconnected.

After my tests, I think that a EOS 30D can focus well at f8 if there is good light, and cannot focus if there isn't. So to avoid problem with the costumers, AF is disabled at f6.3 so there are no complaints.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am more and more of the opinion that Veijo expressed in the Robot thread.
When there is fast action and not much time to manual focus, AF often fails as it rarely can track optimally moving subjects, especially when there are many subjects moving. In those situation, manual prefocusing (the technique I used for the Carnival for instance) often gives higher useable shots rates.

When shooting still subjects, with no time pressure, well, unless someone has a very weak sight, or uses a very cheap dark camera, the advantage of having an autofocus system escapes my understanding...

-

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, the prefocusing technique works very good with autofocus, as long as the focused object follow a predictible path. One of my passions is the Formula-1. When I go to the track, I prefocus on the zone the car is going to pass, and after that, the focusing process using AF is almost instantaneous. I can follow the car with the AI-Servo in a way that would be much more difficult with manual focusing. And I can tell you that it works.

I enjoy very much MF lenses for the moments that I am not in a hurry, but machines, properly driven (talking about cameras, not cars Cool ) are faster than humans, for the moments that it's needed.

P.D. If you give me your 5D I promise not to shot any still subject with an AF lens anymore Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answers Smile so it's safe to assume AF and confirmation are enabled if max Av>0 and <=f/6.3.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a peek at the 350D firmware when I got the camera, I didn't get anywhere with it! I am wondering if the firmware that controls the AF confirm is hardcoded onto a ROM chip separate from the OS. Thats what I would do if I was a money grabbing mutinational.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hacksawbob wrote:
I had a peek at the 350D firmware when I got the camera, I didn't get anywhere with it! I am wondering if the firmware that controls the AF confirm is hardcoded onto a ROM chip separate from the OS. Thats what I would do if I was a money grabbing mutinational.

That's likely to be the case, but we can probably control it from the main chip, or make the whole camera believe an EF lens is attached or something. I have already some ideas about what to do, but right now I'd have to do it uploading a modified firmware -which i can- , risking turning the camera into a brick, so I want to take a different approach, modifying just the loader/updater (which the camera reads from the firmware file and executes) and returning to the original firmware in the camera, so in case of error nothing happens -this I haven't been able to do successfully yet.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thought was to have an AF chip permanently mounted to the Eos body I don't know how easy it would be, The AF chip would need to be much thinner and allow mounting of standard AF EOS lenses via some sort of pass through availability. Mounting it may be problematic but it is only a case of physical engineering rather than software. I am sure the AF chips could be reverse engineered easier than the canon software. In some ways you are reinventing the wheel. Although I wonder sometimes whether the AF chip inventors have the secret to the firmware patch, But if theyreleased a firmware patch there would be no way to make a profit from your hard work as you will only sell one copy and it will be all over file sharing sites in 24hours! Do you not think it would be easier to decode the chip?