Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Versions of the Helios 40? - Which one to buy?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:25 am    Post subject: Versions of the Helios 40? - Which one to buy? Reply with quote

Hey guys
I've searched online and could not find an answer for this.
Anyone know which versions of the Helios 40 will adapt to Canon and reach infinity focus without corrective glass?
There's ones listed as m42, m39 and ones listed as both. (there's new Canon mount ones too, but those are the most expensive.)

Anyone know if there's any versions to avoid? I've seen a few sample shots that had bad CA and a few that were extra soft, unlike most samples from this lens which are really good, any idea which versions are good/bad that?

M39 is cheapest, so I'd rather go with that if that can be adapted to Canon properly.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Versions of the Helios 40? - Which one to buy? Reply with quote

Nitsan wrote:
Hey guys
I've searched online and could not find an answer for this.
Anyone know which versions of the Helios 40 will adapt to Canon and reach infinity focus without corrective glass?
There's ones listed as m42, m39 and ones listed as both. (there's new Canon mount ones too, but those are the most expensive.)

Anyone know if there's any versions to avoid? I've seen a few sample shots that had bad CA and a few that were extra soft, unlike most samples from this lens which are really good, any idea which versions are good/bad that?

M39 is cheapest, so I'd rather go with that if that can be adapted to Canon properly.

Thanks!

Hello! There are three versions of this lens. Old "Silver" for M39, old "black" 40-2 for M42, and the new "black" 40-2 for M42.
All versions for M39 and M42 made for a SLR cameras and perfectly suited to a canon with lensless adapter EOS - M42.
If you take "silver" M39 version - you need additional small ring M39-M42 to your lens EOS-M42 adapter.
IMHO better version of this lens - old 40-2 (M42) or new 40-2 (M42) for a many reason.
Old "Silver" have a problem with a color tone - its too warm and yellow, very hard to finde sharp one, more CA, may be a problem with a coating (old coating may have a cracks or lacks).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Versions of the Helios 40? - Which one to buy? Reply with quote

P.S.
there is a rare version of helios 40 for the TV cameras - helios 40-T, its a little more sharper.
so i hear about helios-40 silver for M42, but I've only seen on the M39.

pay attention to the full analog of helios 40-2, lens for night vision device - "Cyclop" (m42), exactly copy of a lens block as the Helios 40-2, but there is no diaphragm, more lightweight, heavy front cap from a metall (military design) more comfortable for focusing (a half of body turn for focusing) and this lens much more cheaper! If you need only swirly bokeh - you dont need a diafragm Smile

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Versions of the Helios 40? - Which one to buy? Reply with quote

fotkino wrote:
P.S.
pay attention to the full analog of helios 40-2, lens for night vision device - "Cyclop" (m42), exactly copy of a lens block as the Helios 40-2, but there is no diaphragm, more lightweight, heavy front cap from a metall (military design) more comfortable for focusing (a half of body turn for focusing) and this lens much more cheaper! If you need only swirly bokeh - you dont need a diafragm Smile

I did try two version from this lens , one was triplet only with long protrude back , had to cut it . It has very heavy CA, not related to Helios-40 at all. Another version has normal back it was different look than Helios-40 also, but much less CA , probably scheme was almost same or same. I think an exact copy of Helios-40 also exists, but I didn't have yet. I did also try a 85mm f1.2 it has most unique bokeh from all.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the info guys!
Good to know I can adapt all the versions.
I'll try to get the 2 version.

The half turn sounds fantastic for the cyclop but not having an aperture might be a bit of a problem, and I would not be happy if it had bad CA problems. It's also about the same price so I might go for the Helios.

Is the Helios a full 360 turn for focus? (sounds annoying, similar to my Samyang 85/1.4)

Which 85/1.2 are you talking about? Is it worth looking into?

Thanks Smile

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nitsan wrote:

Which 85/1.2 are you talking about? Is it worth looking into?

Thanks Smile

All usable well with external blades in adapter as I did on Sony NEX-3
Cyclop 85mm f1.5 newer design looks photographic lens , no or minimal CA , not require machine works to cut rear protrude back.

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/russian_lens/cyclop_85mm_f1_5_m42/

Cyclop 85mm f1.2 looks last two pictures for bokeh

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/russian_lens/cyclop_85mm_f1_2_m42/

Cyclop 85mm f1.5 with long protrude and heavy CA triplet lens

http://forum.mflenses.com/cyclop-85mm-f1-5-latest-version-long-rear-part-t53540,highlight,%2Bcyclop.html

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old silver Helios 40 is slightly sharper than my Cyclop 1.5. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thanks guys. They Cyclop is tempting but it's almost the same cost as the new 40-2 so i'll go with that.
I'll sell the Samyang 85 to help fund it.

Apart from ebay, is there anywhere to buy the 40-2? (the 0.8 focus is important to me, my Samyang is annoying at only 1m)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:

I kept only old silver Helios-40 I did love best from all include Helios-40-2 black multiply copies.

1m or 80cm not doesn't matter ?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Nordentro wrote:

I kept only old silver Helios-40 I did love best from all include Helios-40-2 black multiply copies.

1m or 80cm not doesn't matter ?

Yes for me 80cm is important. My Samyang 85mm f1.4 is only 100cm and a problem for some shots.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nitsan wrote:
Great thanks guys. They Cyclop is tempting but it's almost the same cost as the new 40-2 so i'll go with that.

Let me advise you it would be VERY FOOLISH to sell Samyang 85 for Helios 40-2. I own both at the moment and Samyang beats Helios in every possible way. The only good thing about Helios is the swirly bokeh, which can even be disturbing in some cases. The shorter focusing distance doesn't really matter, it feels almost the same. If you've been shooting with the Samyang, you'll be disappointed in the Helios, trust me.

I've always said that owning Samyang 85 (the best portrait lens on the market) has ruined the whole Helios experience for me.

Hope you make the right choice...Cheers!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to find a balance between Cyclop wide-open and closed-down (custom aperture added). Balance among crazy bokeh having lower contrast and sharpness and little less crazy bokeh and enhanced contrast / sharpness. The cool thing is you get perfect circle bokeh with such. Here's a compromise i think around F1.7 (NEX):

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]

Let me advise you it would be VERY FOOLISH to sell Samyang 85 for Helios 40-2. I own both at the moment and Samyang beats Helios in every possible way. The only good thing about Helios is the swirly bokeh, which can even be disturbing in some cases. The shorter focusing distance doesn't really matter, it feels almost the same. If you've been shooting with the Samyang, you'll be disappointed in the Helios, trust me.

I've always said that owning Samyang 85 (the best portrait lens on the market) has ruined the whole Helios experience for me.

Hope you make the right choice...Cheers![/quote]

Hey,
You're obviously entitled to your opinion, but strictly speaking that's not really true. - There are better lenses than the samyang 85, but definitely not for the same price. Smile

I now have the Helios 40-2 as well and the quality is great on both. Thing is, the weight and price of the helios means I'll probably be selling it again after posting a review.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

You can find the Cyclop for quite low price mounted on Cyclop nightvision google (less than 100 euros). Usualy, you can only find them on ebay.de ( exemple : http://www.ebay.de/itm/Nachtsichtgerat-Cyclop-1-/251259186040?pt=Jagen&hash=item3a8036eb78 ), but some of them are non-helios Cyclop (ref to Attila's post about versions). Usualy, final prices are around 100 euros (more or less)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BurstMox wrote:
Quote:

You can find the Cyclop for quite low price mounted on Cyclop nightvision google (less than 100 euros). Usualy, you can only find them on ebay.de ( exemple : http://www.ebay.de/itm/Nachtsichtgerat-Cyclop-1-/251259186040?pt=Jagen&hash=item3a8036eb78 ), but some of them are non-helios Cyclop (ref to Attila's post about versions). Usualy, final prices are around 100 euros (more or less)

+1, I bought mine for 60 euros in mint condition from ebay.de Very Happy

All this Cyclop talk made my take mine downstairs to do some test shots

5 min ago, my daughter Hermine (Hermione in English)

Little pp on this one, but an excellent portrait lens with beautiful softness IMHO

A couple more

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb shots. 3rd is my favorite.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brody wrote:
Nitsan wrote:

Hope you make the right choice...Cheers!

Welcome!

Diversity is important we are lucky we have both, I never had Samyang still on my wish list to try it out. I wasn't fond of Helios-40-2 also. I had multiply times I did always sell it. A people love it B people not , this is natural circle of life.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Superb shots. 3rd is my favorite.

Ditto.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KMZ "Zenit" reastart production of this lens:
http://www.zenit-foto.ru/en/production-kmz/photo-equipment/54-english/produktsiya-eng/764-helios-40-2
Available Canon EOS version for around $400 new.
Anyone try it? Any difference from old one, coating?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jester wrote:
KMZ "Zenit" reastart production of this lens:
http://www.zenit-foto.ru/en/production-kmz/photo-equipment/54-english/produktsiya-eng/764-helios-40-2
Available Canon EOS version for around $400 new.
Anyone try it? Any difference from old one, coating?

There's a thread here, with some samples towards the end - http://forum.mflenses.com/production-resumed-helios-40-2-zenitar-telezenitar-t52875.html

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuzzywuzzy wrote:

There's a thread here, with some samples towards the end - http://forum.mflenses.com/production-resumed-helios-40-2-zenitar-telezenitar-t52875.html

Thanks. dont find this topic myself.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what's the conclusion, which version to get?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanylapep wrote:
So what's the conclusion, which version to get?

I don't have one, but new production lenses are going for the same price or even lower then vintage ones on Ebay, so I'd buy new.

Anyone ever deal with kievcamera.net, they've got a sale on apparently, $439 USD, damn my wallet is tingling.

http://kievcamera.net/category.php?id_category=17

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited