Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Urban Ruins: Manual for NIKE Missile Site D-57/D-58
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:54 am    Post subject: Urban Ruins: Manual for NIKE Missile Site D-57/D-58 Reply with quote

A manual-focus lens, that is.   :Smile

I had the opportunity to finally meet a new friend today,
after a lengthy course of email communications and unavailability
from both of us. We took advantage of weather which was nearly
30° cooler than my first visit, and had a great time in meeting
and exploring the site together. A friend of his also joined us,
and he proved to be a fun exploring partner, as well.

Today marks my first concerted effort at using a manual-focus lens,
and I think it turned out rather well. The lens is a Tamron SP 28-80mm
zoom. While not as wide as I wanted for a few shots, I stuck with it
anyway. I also managed to finally get comfortable with the split-circle
focusing screen I installed in my camera a while ago. Today's personal
success will have me using my other manual-focus lenses with less
trepidation from now on.

Overall, the afternoon was a complete success: Making new friends,
overcoming a setback with my gear, and a great exploration all added up
to an exceptional experience.

4. How can I deny Pepe LePew? He wanted to pose.   Very Happy

5. What was thought to be original to the base, turns out to be an addition
by the FAA for purposes of flight control in the area.

6. I liked the sky at this point.

7. Pepe decided to take on some editing.

9. Just outside the previous.

11. I need to try some serious HDR with my camera.

13. Only by accident, did I glance out and see my ride, so nicely framed.   Wink

14. I love how these sentinels still stand, even with their reason for existence gone.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like 'em

I realized just recently that my mindset was that manual lenses = primes. I have tended to forget the zooms. There are several in my drawer, but I never seem to reach for them, Thanks for the push, I'll try one out tomorrow when I go to a local cemetery.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating place. Is there a silo next to that one?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
Is there a silo next to that one?
Dave, the only aboveground installations which had anything to do with the missiles were presumably for assembly, adjustment, maintenance, etc. of the warheads. The actual launch silos are underground, sealed beneath welded steel plates of about 1/2-inch thick.

From my first visit in searing heat:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkedAddled wrote:
Dave, the only aboveground installations which had anything to do with the missiles were presumably for assembly, adjustment, maintenance, etc. of the warheads. The actual launch silos are underground, sealed beneath welded steel plates of about 1/2-inch thick.

That would be storage silos or shelters. The Nike could not be launched out of a silo, it was launched from a nearby concrete pad.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sevo wrote:
That would be storage silos or shelters. The Nike could not be launched out of a silo, it was launched from a nearby concrete pad.
Then perhaps these are storage silos, though everything I've ever read about this site places these steel plates on the launcher area.

The rectangular area just south of the large hexagon is the launcher area, and is where I took the last two pictures.
It's interesting to note the hexagon was once concrete. It's now mostly white aggregate pebbles.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nike Hercules was finned, 3.5m wide with its oversize fins, so that a launch silo would have had to be at least 4m diameter - the ground pits and shelters of the known Nike sites here in Germany don't even have doors a assembled Nike would fit through. Besides, a fire control site could control one rocket at a time, and had three (later four) launch pads associated to it (Newport hat two batteries of a fire control and three pads each), each of which was supposed to reload within one half hour so that one battery could fire a shot per ten minutes. That is just about feasible above ground, but impossible in a silo.

That bizarre hexagon at Newport is not associated with rockets - it was a airfield in WWII. Many training sites had these hexagonal landing strips, presumably to be able train start and landing into any wind direction regardless of the actual weather.

Sevo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots Craig, the characteristic Tamron rich colours sing out. It's a wonder you didn't have your camera confiscated and end up in jail, photographing at such a sensitive site! Smile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Urban Ruins: two photos of a dining room. Reply with quote

Hello:

I show you two photos of the dining room of an old house, left approximately 30 years ago. I like very much the photos of Urban Ruins.

Bests Regards: David.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
It's a wonder you didn't have your camera confiscated and end up in jail, photographing at such a sensitive site! Smile

Ahhh, he wasn't in the UK, some other nations have less paranoia than ours.

But for those who think this is all related to recent terrorism, "it was ever thus". Here in Britain there have been "prohibited places" which might not be photographed ever since WW II (at least). Including your local police station, believe it or not. Back in 1989 I was cautioned for taking a picture of a rather pretty ornamental shrub outside our local "cop shop".

The legislation was a war time measure which was never repealed.

"Mind how you go ..."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THIS should clarify things for Sevo.

And Stephen is correct. The site is in the US.
There's no sensitivity to the site; it's been abandoned nearly 40 years.
No need for active patrols of a site that's been decomissioned for decades.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine series. Our taxpayer dollars surely worked here for a while Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

patrickh