Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ultra Wide for NEX?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking about selling my G28 (which I rarely use) and getting either the G21, 18 ZM or Distagon 18 CY. Which would work better on the NEX? 18 ZM is more expensive.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the new Zeiss Distagon 18 ZM and it works superbly. If you really really look for it with bright skies you can sometimes see a little bit of a colour cast on the edges but nothing like the 21/4.5 and less than the CV 15.

So I would recommend the 18/4 although I have not tried the Contax G version and some people feel they get great results with the 21/2.8.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether the G21 works for you probably is a matter of how high your expectations/standards are. I know at least one NEX 5N user that isn't super critical about corner sharpness, but to him the performance wasn't acceptable because of color shift. He shoots a lot of architecture, so I guess that with subjects like uniformly colored buildings the color shift would become apparent more quickly than with more complex/natural subjects.

Last edited by AhamB on Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:49 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AhamB wrote:
Whether the G21 works for you probably is a matter of how high your expectations/standards are. I know at least one NEX 5N user that isn't super critical about corner sharpness, but to him the performance wasn't acceptable because of color shift.

Geez... how many people don't realize that colour shifts are the camera's fault, not the lens' fault?
The Contax G 21mm has no colour shifts. It works perfectly for the purpose it was designed for.
It's the digital sensors shortcomings that sometimes create colour shifts with lenses (such as Biogon) whose exit pupil is close to the sensor plane.
Those people should use retrofocal wide angle lenses instead (Distagon types)
If they buy Biogon lenses, that is not a good reason to blame problems on the Biogon lenses!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Orio

I dont see anyone displaying this misunderstanding. The thread title is "Ultrawide for NEX" so we are speaking in this context. I think people know that those Contax G lenses are superb on Contax body.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
AhamB wrote:
Whether the G21 works for you probably is a matter of how high your expectations/standards are. I know at least one NEX 5N user that isn't super critical about corner sharpness, but to him the performance wasn't acceptable because of color shift.

Geez... how many people don't realize that colour shifts are the camera's fault, not the lens' fault?

What part about "NEX 5N user" didn't you understand?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Orio, retrofocus wide angles work perfect on the NEX so users should select those to avoid colour shifts, neither i or Attila have ever experienced this issue on our Nex-3s, and between us we've tried a lot of wide angles.

This is why I recommended the Tokina 3.5/17 and Konica Hexanons 2.8/21 and 4/21 - they are proven on the NEX and have no issues.

Again, I agree with Orio that it's the camera's fault, it's the microlenses that are at fault, they don't handle light at small angles in the same way film does.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that people who buy a Nex are interested by size and less by quality
most of them are happy with the Sony 16mm, click for review of the 16mm at photozone

Last edited by poilu on Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the 16mm once and sold it immediately. Nowhere near the level of performance I need for landscape shooting.

For me, size is irrelevant and I do most of my shooting on a tripod, I bought my NEX because it was by far the cheapest way to get a camera that gave stunning results and allowed me to use all kinds of lenses. That 18mm register is a big selling point.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

16mm kit is a lot better in corners on NEX-5N than on NEX-3!

But anyway Tokina RMC 17mm is optically still a better choice

Last edited by ForenSeil on Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:11 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still haven't decided on which lens to get. Love the sample shots of the 18 ZM but having a hard time with the pricing :0 I wish there was a more affordable Zeiss wide other than the Flektogon 20. Does anyone have the C/Y distagon 18? If so, any idea how that would work with the NEX? the sample images look pretty good.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
most of them are happy with the Sony 16mm, click for review of the 16mm at photozone

I don't think this is true. I have been a Pentax dSLR user before getting the NEX-5n which has a similar sensor to the K-5 and better support for MF. IQ on the 5n is superb.

Size is a consideration in some situations more than others. For example I like a small unobtrusive camera and lens to take pictures of people. Landscapes is less of an issue.

PS Your link takes me to the review of a Canon lens.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comparision of NEX 16mm Kit with original converter VS Voigtländer Heliar 12/5.6 on 5N
http://www.systemkamera-forum.de/sony-nex-objektive/32230-sony-16mm-f2-8-konverter-vs-voigtlaender-12mm-f5-6-a.html
The kit performs very well in direct comparision. Anyway it wouldnt be my choice.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't call that good performance at all, they both have horrible distortion.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanielT74 wrote:
PS Your link takes me to the review of a Canon lens.

thanks, here is the link
http://www.photozone.de/sony_nex/728-sony16f28nex7
photozone wrote:
it should just be AVOIDED on the NEX 7

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I wouldn't call that good performance at all, they both have horrible distortion.

I just got my new "occupational lenses" for use with computer screens - totally dead brilliant 'cos they completely elimate the horrible distortion Ian complains about Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, maybe I shouldn't have said 'horrible' but the way that Volkswagen is stretched into a parallelogram doesn't look nice to my eyes.

I totally missed the jist of your comment, sorry.

I'd agree with this statement from the review Poilu linked:

Quote:
The Sony E 16mm f/2.8 may be a controversial lens on lower resolution NEX cameras. However, it seems rather pointless to use it on the NEX 7 - 24 megapixel are way beyond the capabilities of this tiny lens. The center quality is certainly fine but the outer image region is extremely soft at max. aperture and just barely acceptable around f/8. The native vignetting characteristic of the lens is dismal and you should always activate the auto-correction in the camera to reduce the effect. The same applies to lateral CAs which are way too high for a prime lens. The idea of using front-mounted converters is surely attractive but it just doesn't make must sense on this basis. The VCL-ECU1 (0.75x converter) manages to keep the "performance" of the base lens (roughly) but the quality remains unusable except for very casual photography.

I felt the 16mm on my NEX-3 gave IQ at the level of a decent compact camera, the CA and bad corners were obvious when I tried mine, as the review says, it's useful for very casual photography but forget it for serious work.

The result I got just looked like a compact cam to me:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:

I'm afraid, You're wrong. I and my friends here bought NEX for better image quality. if I search for compact lens that's different story. First thing to get NEX, is to get better IQ at same price with DSLR.
There are people I know who want to get NEX too, after they see results of my shot with NEX.

As wide lens. I'm satisfied enough with Heliar 15. It has color shift on my NEX5. It gone with wideopen shot (even at infinity it sharp), or use HDR EV mode to eliminate color shift. Yes it underexposed often, but that's OK with me.

my other choice is fisheye, Takumar 17/4 & Samyang 8/3,5

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some pics of the new 8mm from Samyang for NEX:
http://photorumors.com/2012/01/26/samyang-24mm-f1-4-d-as-umc-price-announced-rokinon-8mm-f2-8-fisheye-lens-for-sony-nex-introduced/
(you have to scroll a little down)

It's a lot more compact than the older 8mm f/3.5 fisheye. Hope it performs as well.