Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

This is getting difficult
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:21 am    Post subject: This is getting difficult Reply with quote

The new Panasonic Micro 4/3 price came out today: Press release below.

http://tinyurl.com/cddnx2

The problem is that a good used 5D is cheaper. Don’t know about you but I’m having a hard time deciding which one to get. I know that the only way to get a wide angle shot on the Panasonic is to use a Cine lens or a rangefinder lens. Not a bad way to go but expensive!

Jules

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A micro 4/3 camera that costs more than a used 5D. Tough choice.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have excellent reflex lenses. The 5d sounds the way.
The DR of that M 4/3 system can not match.
Of course that opinion comes from comparing the 5D to the original 4/3 system.
I think we can assume the same.
Again just an opinion. Lens conversion is another big knock.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowing you, you must also take into account the possibility to easily remove the hot mirror Wink

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, when the 5D Mark II will become ridiculously cheap Rolling Eyes , one can think of buying one of them and remove the mirror completely, and use it only with liveview Laughing instant E.V.I.L. ! Laughing

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would remove the electronics totally and fit them with a flexible bellows and 5 inch monitor to make a modern small view camera.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
....remove the mirror completely, and use it only with liveview Laughing instant E.V.I.L. ! Laughing

I don't get you. Why do you want to remove the mirror? So that you can mount all lenses?

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my_photography wrote:
Orio wrote:
....remove the mirror completely, and use it only with liveview Laughing instant E.V.I.L. ! Laughing

I don't get you. Why do you want to remove the mirror? So that you can mount all lenses?

Precisely!. Without a mirror, you could mount also rangefinder lenses on a 5DMkII !
Think about it... mount all those great rangefinder lenses on a 5DMkII... Leica-M... Zeiss ZM... LeicaM39... Voigtlaender... Contax lenses... Contax G lenses!
doesn't is sound fantastic? Very Happy
Someone's got to realize this project !

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

Precisely!. Without a mirror, you could mount also rangefinder lenses on a 5DMkII !
Think about it... mount all those great rangefinder lenses on a 5DMkII... Leica-M... Zeiss ZM... LeicaM39... Voigtlaender... Contax lenses... Contax G lenses!

Wow, pure E.V.I.L Laughing
Let's see who will be the first Adam or Eve here.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps a less painful way can be to make a first tentative with an APS-C camera.
the 1000D I think has liveview and should be around 500 Euros.
So still crazy, but a bit less crazy Wink

But more important is to find someone willing to make the adapters that are necessary:

- Leica M bayonet to EOS
- Leica M39 thread to EOS
- Contax/Kiev bayonet to EOS

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
my_photography wrote:
Orio wrote:

Ask Alex (HK300). I believe he has a friend who is busy modifying a 5D.

The best way would be to remove the mirror completely, and move the sensor forward. A few cm's, just to be usable with rangefinder lenses. For normal reflex lenses, you'll only need to add an extension tube. And presto Smile

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
If you have excellent reflex lenses. The 5d sounds the way.
The DR of that M 4/3 system can not match.
Of course that opinion comes from comparing the 5D to the original 4/3 system.
I think we can assume the same.
Again just an opinion. Lens conversion is another big knock.

Yes that's is what I'm thinking also, The FF bodies are so good with 35mm reflex lenses, I have a lot of them, the IQ if the FF bodies is obviously better than the APC sensors so I probably will go with the 5D or the 5D MkII.

Thanks

Jules

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jieffe wrote:
Knowing you, you must also take into account the possibility to easily remove the hot mirror Wink

HA HA! Well . . actually not as my Hot mirror has been removed from the 40D and it's fine (for now). I'm going for a great visible light camera so the FF bodies are really where I think I'll go.

Jules

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
The best way would be to remove the mirror completely, and move the sensor forward. A few cm's, just to be usable with rangefinder lenses. For normal reflex lenses, you'll only need to add an extension tube. And presto Smile

Why move the sensor forward? Wouldn't it be easier to engineer a mount adapter that allows the lens to be recessed into the body by the same amount? That is, if you're removing the mirror anyway...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OregonJim wrote:
Spotmatic wrote:

Why move the sensor forward? Wouldn't it be easier to engineer a mount adapter that allows the lens to be recessed into the body by the same amount? That is, if you're removing the mirror anyway...

That sounds logical indeed, but on some/most lenses, the focus and/or diaphragm ring will be (partly) inaccessible, making your solution awkward.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
OregonJim wrote:
Spotmatic wrote:

That sounds logical indeed, but on some/most lenses, the focus and/or diaphragm ring will be (partly) inaccessible, making your solution awkward.

Somehow I missed the fact that you were talking about rangefinder lenses - in that case, yes, it would be awkward (if not unusable). An additional glass element in the adapter would make it workable, but that kinda defeats the purpose. Oh well...