Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The most expensive and highly regarded 135 I have is crap!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be a knocked lens.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my lens, mint condition.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have that lens and although it suffers from flaring if no proper hood is used and sometimes I can see some CA, it was never as bad as your images show!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice result, Moleman.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I don't get about my copy is it's fine at f8, but bloody awful wider than that. Surely if it was faulty it would be apparent at all apertures?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yours is later than mine, Ian, and multi-coated too -mine is not. Mine also has patina:

Is that a Canon mount? I'm wondering, by chance did you use the sma adapter as with your 28mm Close Focus? If not too personal, may I ask what you paid?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried Carsten's copy, let's put it this way: I was not impressed.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Well I must have a bad copy then because it is the fourth day I've taken it out and every time it was utter crap.

The CA is ridiculous, how anyone can tolerate such CA is beyond me, this lens really is unusable above f8.

Ian I dont know where you got the idea that the Vivitar 135mm f2.5 is highly regarded, but yours certainly looks like a lens you would'nt wish on your worst enemy Wink
I recommend the Sigmatel Multi Scalematic 135mm f1.8 instead...Unlike the Vivitar, its a lens that many seem to hold in low regard, but I was pleasantly supprised with how good it can be:

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,89713.html#89713

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ian I dont know where you got the idea that the Vivitar 135mm f2.5 is highly regarded

Are you talking about the same lens? Cause this one is a f2.3 not f2.5.
There are several reviews about the lens. One of which was posted. Most believe it to be quite good.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Vivitar 28 CF was in PK mount, so not same adapter.

I have a Big I's FD-NEX adapter, it worked fine with my Canon FDs 1.8/50 and 2.8/28 and my Tokina 25-50 in FD mount.

I don't have a working FD mount camera so I can't try it on film, my AE-1 is jammed and needs seals and mirror foam replacing.

Seeing as woodrim's is rather well used and single coated yet performs admirably, it just adds to my confusdion. I am sure mine isn't damaged, it has not a mark on it, like new.

If mine has been assembled incorrectly with an element reversed, surely it wouldn't be fine at f8? My copy is fine at f8, just a total dog at wider apertures.

I have loads of really good 135s, my personal favourite is my M42 Pentacon 2.8/135, sharp even wide open, no CA, beautiful colours and bokeh. I also have 3.2 and 3.5 135 Hexanons, those are razor sharp, 3.5/135 Hexar is great too, then I have a beautiful chromed Steinheil Quinar 3.5/135. I am selling all my other 135s such as my J11A M42 and Sigma-made Pentacon 2.8/135, just don't need so many.

I got this Vivitar along with the FD 28 and 50 and AE-1 body for a good price locally so not great loss, I have already recouped the money I spent by selling both FD lenses.

Last edited by iangreenhalgh1 on Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See what they go for on ebay, that will tell you something about how they're regarded.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they usually go for at least 200USD.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of trusting peak focusing have you tried to bracket a shot instead?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Although unlikely, it is possible for a lens to be knocked and show no impact damage.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

It seems there are spots. Are they on the outer or inner surface ?
Maybe you should try to open it and clean the glasses.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aim for the Beam! That thing is Cannon fodder! Pretty cannon fodder though. It's simply a bad copy of the lens.
It happens even with Leica and Zeiss. I've had a couple Contax lenses that looked new and behaved Sh!t on arrival.
Probably why a 30 YO lens looks new .... no one ever used it Wink

The front element looks dodgy in the pic however. Are those dried "droplets" inside or outside of the front element?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cross post Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I saw those too. In all likelihood they make little to no difference on the performance. If the front element was cracked in half...maybe...but even then...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:

Probably why a 30 YO lens looks new .... no one ever used it Wink

[/img]

That can be true sometimes......If it was originally crap on a film camera then its been in a drawer all this time.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
Quote:

I saw those too. In all likelihood they make little to no difference on the performance. If the front element was cracked in half...maybe...but even then...

Sure, you're absolutely right.

In fact, I was reacting to Martin saying his lens is in mint condition.
Seeing this front lens picture, I'm not so sure it is mint and I would open it to check wether inner glasses need cleaning or not. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
Quote:

I agree if they are simply on the outside.
If inside they likely mean the lens was opened at one time, probably mis-assembled, and, now the reason for the poor iq.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, to be clear, mine produces blue fringing in all the expected places and requires very precise focusing. The blue CA gets corrected in 10 seconds in PS. May I suggest your next go with it you do not go to a torture test as we already know it gets the blue, but instead try a subject that will produce a good focus somewhere in the frame, like a brick wall on an angle. Or maybe even the row houses, focusing at some point before infinity. I use Big-Is adapters and don't always get a good infinity, often going past. In a last ditch effort, loan it to another forum poster who is local for a second opinion. England is small, everyone is local. And if you don't want to do that, sell it cheap to me, after all, it's crap.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spots are on the outside, mostly bits of dust, I think it got some drops of rain on it and some spots are where it dried.

I wonder if someone could lend me an FD mount body?

I know England is small but it's probably 150-200 miles to the next nearest member!

I'm in a really remote corner of this little isle of ours.

I will try it again, need to figure this out.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would seem likely that this lens left the factory with this problem. I think the three most likely causes are:
1. A reversed element
2. The incorrect spacing between two elements (caused by incorrect fitting or by a mis-machined lens ring)
3. A misshapen lens element

Decentring of an element is a common failing but would tend to cause extreme softness on one edge or corner of the picture only.

135m lenses are usually quite simple optically. So, it might be quite straightforward to open the lens up and try reversing one element at a time. The physical construction can also limit the choices, and we know the front element will be convex on its front surface. The number of options might be quite limited. Of course, if someone has an accurate optical scheme, the job becomes a lot simpler.

It might also be possible to judge if an element is not fitted correctly by looking at the various mounting rings and their threads - seeing if they are screwed home properly.

Obviously, there is not much that can be done about a dodgy element.

If the lens were bought from a dealer, i would try to return it. If Ian doesn't want to sell it on to someone else (and this is not something i could do without admitting it was rubbish and thus destroying its resale value), then I would have a go at opening it up to see what is what.

Mark

BTW, Colour fringing is often worse in out of focus areas, so the lack of sharp focus on this lens will exacerbate the fringing. Also, stopping down will improve sharpness even if the lens has a fault. Now, if the sharpness changes very suddenly from poor to good when going from f5,6 to f8, then that might indicate that an optical element has a flaw that becomes masked when the aperture is reduced.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it highly unlikely that the adapter would cause this problem. It would have to be very badly wedged to make the pictures so soft. This looks like a lens fault to me.

Mark