Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The most expensive and highly regarded 135 I have is crap!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will do some further test shots before trying to take it apart, i expect it is 4 or 5 elements so as you say, could be fairly simple to figure out.

An optical scheme would be very handy though.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold these when they were being made. They were aggressively promoted and their advertising suggested that they were the "ne plus ultra" of advanced optical design. People who bought them gave mixed comments - some raved about them, others moaned. The mechanical quality seemed variable, many of the 135/2.3 model had impossibly heavy focusing movements, and the varifocal (was it 35~80mm?) was often hard to slide to change focal lengths. I recall trying the 135/2.3 and thinking that although good, it wasn't anything like the advertising said it was supposed to be. That was based on taking photos in the real world on Kodachrome and then sitting a foot from the 4-foot square projector screen . . . just like pixel peeping today.

I think Ian's is probably one that didn't quite go together properly. See what woodrim's review has to say about the moving optical group - that's a likely culprit. If it's been apart since manufacture, you'll see the evidence if you look closely at the screw heads.

My feeling is that it's best to leave it alone and put it on eBay with a totally non-commital description. E.g. "Looks near mint [if that's correct] but I've not been able to get on with it". If anyone asks, then just tell them the truth.

A shame it's disappointed you, but if you've focused it correctly and held the camera steady, then the thing is what it is. A let-down Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info woodrim.

I've examined it closely and I can see zero signs of it ever having been played with, the screw heads are unblemished.

I really don't want to play with it, I doubt I'd be able to fix it as I doubt it's anything as severe as a element the wrong way round, just a case of sloppy assembly.

I think I will stick it on ebay in the end, I'm sure someone with experience in these things can sort it out.

Shutter speeds were pretty high for all my shots so I am sure there was no shake involved, and looking at the images I don't see signs of shake, just softness.

I reckon it must be a fairly slight adjustment that it needs as it does appear fine at f8, it's just at the wide apertures it really sucks ass.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

I've examined it closely and I can see zero signs of it ever having been played with, the screw heads are unblemished.

Maybe it has received a shock during shipping such that an element got out of alignment.

If it would have been sharper at f/8 you could have suspected the design to be weak, but to me it doesn't look good even at f/8.

OTOH, this is close to how my 35-80/2.8 performs. Soft wide open, with a glow effect. And while it gets better stopped down, it's never impressive. It also had a reputation of being a sharp lens.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a AE1P Ian, but I won't be up the Lakes until the spring if you want leave it till then?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be good David, or perhaps I can put a roll through it on 5th Feb?

I followed woodrim's suggestion and tried the lens on the 'row houses' (terraced street to us Brits lol) with the camera on a tripod. No PP at all on these, just JPEGs straight from the NEX-3 resized to 1500x1000:

f2.3:

f4:

f5.6:

f8:

f11:

f16:

f22:

To me, it's not great at any aperture, it doesn't look faulty, just a bit of a lemon.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps this is why the lens is so mint Wink

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the images, the lens appears to have a lot of faults.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian: email me your original, full size, f/4 image woodrims@gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Woodrim

I'd love to, but sadly I've deleted the full-size versions.

Was there something you'd spotted you wanted to look more closely at?

On the being mint thing, the two FD lenses that I got with it were also mint and those were both fine, the AE-1 that was also in the lot was near-mint too, but sadly is jammed, lady I bought it from said it had all been sat in a wardrobe for 20-odd years as it belonged to her elderly father who had recently passed away, I suspect the AE-1 has just gummed up and a relube would cure it.

Sadly, it does look like I've got a really crap lens here...

Just my luck!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian -
Just been looking at your terraced house pictures and messing with the crops with Picasa, which isn't the world's most sophisticated software by any means. Although there certainly is plenty of colour edging at wide apertures, just tweaking the contrast and adding a wee bit of sharpness seems to make a big difference. At f8 the lens looks as if it might actually be quite good. It could still be a poor sample, but I'm not sure now.

It might be worth putting it on your tripod and shooting some raw files trying to eliminate human arrors and then carefully working on them to see what comes out. A sort of default processing formula. Don't junk it just yet!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, these lenses were designed for film. Digital tends to exaggerate the CA.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FluffPuppy wrote:

The CA from this lens is very easy to correct with a 10 second investment.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
Ian -
Just been looking at your terraced house pictures and messing with the crops with Picasa, which isn't the world's most sophisticated software by any means. Although there certainly is plenty of colour edging at wide apertures, just tweaking the contrast and adding a wee bit of sharpness seems to make a big difference. At f8 the lens looks as if it might actually be quite good. It could still be a poor sample, but I'm not sure now.

It might be worth putting it on your tripod and shooting some raw files trying to eliminate human arrors and then carefully working on them to see what comes out. A sort of default processing formula. Don't junk it just yet!

Yes, for me, at f8 it starts to become acceptable, still not upto standards of others like my Pentacon 2.8/135 and Hexanon 3.5/135 but passable.

I had to go to work today which was annoying as it was a very sunny day, I only had time to plonk it on a tripod and shoot those few shots down the street from outside my front door. I'm working next 7 days straight so might not get another chance for a while but I'll try it again as you suggest.

I'd love to see how to correct the CA, I just can't accept any image with visible CA, to my eyes it spoils images.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
FluffPuppy wrote:

At the cost of global saturation.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AhamB wrote:
woodrim wrote:
FluffPuppy wrote:

At the cost of global saturation.

??????????? No, not at all.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No light today and pouring with rain so no further tests.

I think the best way to cure CA is to use a lens that doesn't have it, personally speaking.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's Ian's f/2.3 shot back with no CA. Actually took 20 seconds because there was magenta in addition to the blue. Lenses that don't exhibit CA are nice, of course, but also rare. One should know how to correct it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does look much better without the CA. Care to share how you did it?

I wouldn't say lenses without CA are rare, my Pentacon 2.8/135 hasn't got any wide open. neither have my three Konica 135s. I've been careful to avoid lenses with CA when building up my shooting set.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
That does look much better without the CA. Care to share how you did it?

I wouldn't say lenses without CA are rare, my Pentacon 2.8/135 hasn't got any wide open. neither have my three Konica 135s. I've been careful to avoid lenses with CA when building up my shooting set.

Maybe you see more chromatic aberration because it's England. LOL

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian: I work in Photoshop, so am not as familiar with other tools. In PS, you simply enlarge the image enough to see the CA clearly, then go to Image - Adjustments - Hue/Saturation. Then change the menu selection where it says Master to the color you're correcting, most cases blue, but sometimes magenta. If you're wrong, it will correct the selection. Then take the pointer, which is now an eyedropper tool, and click on the CA where the color is obvious. You'll then see that color come up in your swatch selection. Now take the saturation and lightness sliders and find the best reductions to correct the CA. I typically do them about equally, but you can see the change as you're doing it and will know how much to adjust. Note: don't forget to select the color from the Master, otherwise the entire image will be effected, not just the CA color/area.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, to ensure you're testing a lens and not your focusing ability, a shot like this can be helpful. Here I might have thought the lens was soft, but the brick told me I was off on the focus.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Ian, to ensure you're testing a lens and not your focusing ability, a shot like this can be helpful. Here I might have thought the lens was soft, but the brick told me I was off on the focus.

CA is not an artifact of focussing error. It cannot be that.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:

erm I don't get a few of you guy's arguments e.g. if you shoot a row of houses then something must be in focus and sharp unless either there is something wrong with the lens OR the camera OR the lens was set for a distance of something like 2ft.