Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron SP 80-200mm f2.8 - finally!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: Tamron SP 80-200mm f2.8 - finally! Reply with quote

Hi all, it's been a while sine i posted here.

since I got my Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 EX (autofocus) any other lens has hardly been on my cam Embarassed

But that'll change:
I just got a Tamron SP 80-200mm f2.8 today! Finally found one for a good price, and with a KA adapter, so I can use P and Tv modes with all my adaptal lenses Very Happy

From the first looks it seems sharp, but it sure is a BIG lens.
I'll do more tests tomorrow and post some samples and a full review for your database, Attila.

Friday I'm taking it to a concert, where I can really put it to use Wink

Tom

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Many, many thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, how much you got this?

Do you have any experience in using KA adaptor? I always have problem of a little bit over-exposed when I use it. I have to change the EV setting to -0.3 to -0.7 everytime.

Have you compare it with the SP60-300? I have a 70-210/3.5, I am happy in both of the lenses. I love the 80-200/2.8, but I was frustrated by its weight.

Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome Simon...!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Tom. I look forward to seeing the pics from it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, Tom! I'm rather fond of Tammie SP zooms!

Bill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! A constant f2.8 tele zoom! Not bad! Congratulations.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, though probably not as nice as the 70-210 f/3.5 SP, which is so good that they still make it new.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjkerpan wrote:
Nice, though probably not as nice as the 70-210 f/3.5 SP, which is so good that they still make it new.

Not being sure if they make it new or have so nmany on stock.
It has been so expensive (~ 950,- DM that is about 500,- Euro) that this may be possible.
I had the 3.5 a long time and have been very satisfied with it's results on film slr.
But now on my Pentax DS it's different. Here the Tamron 60-300 even seems better - as well as the manual (1 st series) Sigma APO 3.5-4.5/70-210.
The Tammy has had a lot of problems with cold colours when I've been hiking in the mountains.

Smile Paul

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simoncdchuck wrote:
Wow, how much you got this?

Do you have any experience in using KA adaptor? I always have problem of a little bit over-exposed when I use it. I have to change the EV setting to -0.3 to -0.7 everytime.

Have you compare it with the SP60-300? I have a 70-210/3.5, I am happy in both of the lenses. I love the 80-200/2.8, but I was frustrated by its weight.

Very Happy

Yes I've noticed the slight overexposure aswell, but since I'll be using it mostly at concerts, that won't matter much. (meters don't help much there Wink)

The weight is very noticable yes, and the hood is so big it won't fit in my regular bag :p

From what i've tested, it seems softer than the 60-300mm wide open, but stopped down even a little it does as good or better.
Seems like an ideal portrait lens.

Sunday I'm shooting a concert, that's the real test Smile

Tom

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TDN wrote:
Yes I've noticed the slight overexposure aswell, but since I'll be using it mostly at concerts, that won't matter much. (meters don't help much there Wink)

The weight is very noticable yes, and the hood is so big it won't fit in my regular bag :p

From what i've tested, it seems softer than the 60-300mm wide open, but stopped down even a little it does as good or better.
Seems like an ideal portrait lens.

Sunday I'm shooting a concert, that's the real test Smile

Tom

It is too heavy for me. I go for a Tammie SP35-210mm. I am also looking for an extra PKA adaptor as spare.

Have funs
Cool

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TDN wrote:
...Sunday I'm shooting a concert, that's the real test Smile
Tom

I've just seen this topic, what is the results of this concert shooting. I'm curious cause I'm still thinking this one for concerts Smile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjkerpan wrote:

I am sorry but you are not right. I had several 19AH (currently I own 2) and several 30A (I have 1 now). 30A is for sure better then 19AH. The lenses with AD2 mount system were discontinued in 2006 and between 1999 an 2006 only 3 AD2 lenses were in production:
till 2000 3.8-5.4/60-300
till 2006 2.8/300 black one and 8/500 mirror

show me similar sample from 19AH, wide open, high ISO, probably 800+

crop from RAW, I believe it was 200x

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit late to the party on this, but I have the 80-200 LD and would most definitely rate it better than the 60-300 (much as I love that lens). My copy is very sharp wide open, at least as much so as the venrable 60-300. In spite of complaints about weight I find it readily hand-holdable and quite easy to get decent shots at 200mm and 1/60. This is my gig lens of choice (since I can't afford a 300/2.Cool. Here's one I prepared earlier....granted it's not a thing of beuaty in the traditional sense, but it truly captures the essence of that performance Smile b/w works especially well for this kind of event too - lucky since my SD14 is notoriously erratic when underexposed at high ISO (that said many pics had OK colour actually, I just prefer the bw for this subject). Conclusion: great affordable gig lens!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, any tips on why the image shows up fine in the preview but not i the post (I can even choose edit, change nothing, look at the preview and it's there...) Doh?

Oh, wait...now it's there. Server lag I guess, odd that!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that was your first post, it was because of an anti-spam feature here at mflenses -- images are not shown in a first post. But after you've posted more, they do show.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome.
Your first post has attachments disallowed as an anti-spam measure, but it's ok after that.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the opportunity to acquire this lens in new condition, with new 1.4x and 2x teleconverters, and assorted mounts for $375.

The lens has been stored in a dry cab and has never been used, aside from placing a filter on the lens. Would this be a good deal for a new copy of 30A?

Would anyone suggest getting the Tokina ATX 80-200 f2.8 instead? I've found one of these in Nikon mount asking for $180, albeit used.

Lastly, is there a large variance between copies of this lens? Has anyone come across a bad copy?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TDN wrote:

How exactly are you comparing their wide open performance? The 60-300 is one stop slower. If you also stop down the 80-200, it cannot be less sharp than the 60-300.

The 80-200 has better resistance to PF than the 60-300. I also used it with the 1.4x and 2x TCs and they both increase PF, although resolution is still pretty good.

I usually stop down the 80-200 not because of sharpness, but to avoid PF.

voytek wrote:

I had several 19AH (currently I own 2) and several 30A (I have 1 now). 30A is for sure better then 19AH.

I think I got my copy of the 30A from you, if I'm not making a confusion Smile

skeetinyournose wrote:
I have the opportunity to acquire this lens in new condition, with new 1.4x and 2x teleconverters, and assorted mounts for $375.

Sounds like a good deal if everything is in good condition. The 1.4x TC doesn't show often for sale.

skeetinyournose wrote:
Would anyone suggest getting the Tokina ATX 80-200 f2.8 instead? I've found one of these in Nikon mount asking for $180, albeit used.

The adaptall-2 site includes resolution numbers for both Tamron and Tokina.