Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

suggestions for rangefinder-sized 35mm lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: suggestions for rangefinder-sized 35mm lens Reply with quote

Hi folks!

I'm looking for a 35mm (or close) lens for my nex. f2.0 or faster would be great, but I might also consider up to f2.8. IQ is not my primary concern, but absence of disturbing bokeh preferred. I'd like the lens to make a balanced package with the Sony NEX, not big like a SRL lens, or small like C-Mount (or I would have already got this $20 35/1.7 SRL Magic-"Copy").

As 50mm lenses I use a Zuiko Auto 50/1.4 (the NEX has to share with the OM-1) and a Jupiter-8. I like the handling (defined f-stops, focusing) better with the Zuiko, but the Jupiter is light and small and fits size-wise better imho.

As Leica is financially out of reach and Voigtlander also quite expensive (for me), are there some gems you could point out to me? Pen-F 38/1.8? Extract the lens from a Konica S3 or a Yashica 35 (and make it work)?

Thanks & Cheers!

P.S.: If there is a thread about this topic I haven't found, I'm all happy with a link.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best choice is the Zeiss Opton Biogon 2.8/35 (the lens in my avatar). I use it on my NEX all the time, absolutely superb lens and has far nicer, smoother bokeh than any retrofocus type wide angle, which is just about every other 35mm lens.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: suggestions for rangefinder-sized 35mm lens Reply with quote

Zaubberer wrote:
Hi folks!

I'm looking for a 35mm (or close) lens for my nex. f2.0 or faster would be great, but I might also consider up to f2.8. IQ is not my primary concern, but absence of disturbing bokeh preferred. I'd like the lens to make a balanced package with the Sony NEX, not big like a SRL lens, or small like C-Mount (or I would have already got this $20 35/1.7 SRL Magic-"Copy").

As 50mm lenses I use a Zuiko Auto 50/1.4 (the NEX has to share with the OM-1) and a Jupiter-8. I like the handling (defined f-stops, focusing) better with the Zuiko, but the Jupiter is light and small and fits size-wise better imho.

As Leica is financially out of reach and Voigtlander also quite expensive (for me), are there some gems you could point out to me? Pen-F 38/1.8? Extract the lens from a Konica S3 or a Yashica 35 (and make it work)?

Thanks & Cheers!

P.S.: If there is a thread about this topic I haven't found, I'm all happy with a link.

Firstly, a warm welcome to the forum.

There is this that I posted a few days ago,

http://forum.mflenses.com/nexotar-t61430,highlight,%2Bnexotar.html

and this one a while ago, I've just modded a Trip lens but not posted that yet until I get some pics. Theres lots here!

http://forum.mflenses.com/konica-c35-lens-t58930,highlight,%2Bkonica+%2Bc35.html

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
The best choice is the Zeiss Opton Biogon 2.8/35 (the lens in my avatar). I use it on my NEX all the time, absolutely superb lens and has far nicer, smoother bokeh than any retrofocus type wide angle, which is just about every other 35mm lens.

That's a nice photo! Are all biogon's 35mm usable on Nex? (rear element too long)
I think I read somewhere, long time ago, that only pre-war were not usable on Nex, is it right?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, only the post-war Opton ones are usable. All Jena ones don't fit. There is the Biometar 2.8/35 from Jena and Planar 2.8/35 from Opton that will fit, but both are hard to find.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first welcome! second, imo others cannot make a 'best' choice for you, as that totally depends on your subjective feeling about the alternatives available. and there certainly are many, so you should take your time and look at a lot of different samples. if, as you stated, you might prefer a rangefinder lens, i can heartily recommend the nikkor 35/2.5. it is compact, relatively inexpensive, standard m39 mount, amazingly sharo, beautiful color, and non distracting, creamy bokeh. i wont muss up your thread with my personal pix, but i and others have posted results from this lovely little beauty on this forum, if you do a search you should find them. good luck!
tony

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post them to Gallery Tony and link it here, I am curious too. To OP RF wide lens rarely go inexpensive, I don't know any under 300 USD.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"relatively inexpensive" Nikkor 3.5cm F2.5 and Zeiss-Opton 35/2.8 are in the $300 range or so. I use a 1952 Jupiter-12 on my Leica M8 and Leica M9 without problem, it ran $80 inclusive of shipping from Russia. I'm not sure if it will fit on a Nex, but it certainly works on the Leica.

http://www.leicaplace.com/album.php?albumid=19

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J12 won't fit the NEX.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
J12 won't fit the NEX.

Its amazing how far into the camera body it goes.

You can use it in reverse and get infinity focus. I've not actually taken any pics that way but I expect it will have an impact on performance.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon made M39 35mm lenses that are well respected nowadays (didn't always use to be the case) -- but they too tend to sell in the ~$300US range. Here's an f/3.5 going for well under that, with finder and case.

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most RF lens does not focus too close. You need helicoid adapter in M mount (for lens in LTM or M mount) if you want to do close focusing. The only RF lens I tried is the Color-Skopar 2.5/35. Nice little lens with good bokeh IMHO. They are available for new and can have for cheaper used.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/326913-REG/Voigtlander_45BA245C_Color_Skopar_Pan_35mm_f_2_5.html

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your suggestions, hints and the welcome! There are some lenes I'll keep an eye out for on local stores and ebay.

Right know I'm just wondering if ~f/2.8 will be fast enough @35mm (~50mm on the NEX) in terms of shallow DOF. Maybe I should try the Color Minotar 2.8/35 from a broken Minox to get an impression. I'm just afraid it will be ergonomic callenging to actually use the lens. Confused

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Post them to Gallery Tony and link it here, I am curious too. To OP RF wide lens rarely go inexpensive, I don't know any under 300 USD.

sure attila, here are links to my thread and to rolf's with the nikkor 3.5cm/2.5 rf in ltm. they go for $300 or less in the US.

http://forum.mflenses.com/night-shots-with-nikkor-w-3-5cm-2-5-and-gxr-t55161.html

http://forum.mflenses.com/w-nikkor-f2-5-3-5cm-35mm-evening-walk-in-weinheim-german-t55184,highlight,%2Bnikkor+%2B35mm.html

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaubberer wrote:
Thank you for your suggestions, hints and the welcome! There are some lenes I'll keep an eye out for on local stores and ebay.

Right know I'm just wondering if ~f/2.8 will be fast enough @35mm (~50mm on the NEX) in terms of shallow DOF. Maybe I should try the Color Minotar 2.8/35 from a broken Minox to get an impression. I'm just afraid it will be ergonomic callenging to actually use the lens. Confused

Honestly when I'm using a wide-angle lens I'm seldom using it wide open. I want to take advantage of a good wide angle's great depth of field so I've usually stopped it down to f/8 or so. It shouldn't be ergonomically challenging. Most wa's are pretty compact, so they're easy to handle. If you've never seen an M39 mount 35mm f/2.8 or especially an f/3.5, it might surprise you. They aren't much thicker than their lens caps, so handling them isn't gonna be a problem.

But if you're wanting to shoot wide open so you can grabe nice bokeh along with that look, then I'd suggest a 35mm f/2. And one of the most reasonably priced 35/2's I know about are the Nikon Pre-AI 35/2 OC or just the plain "O". I think the "C" stands for multicoating? I have one. It's fairly compact, roughly the same size as a Nikon 28/2.8. The Pre-AI versions are fairly reasonably priced, last time I looked them up on eBay

Here's a pretty clean plain "O" for under $100US:

Click here to see on Ebay

The aperture blades are not working, but for that price it's worth paying to get it fixed or to be brave and clean them yourself.

Then there's also the 35mm f/1.9 Vivitar, which is actually a pretty good lens. The prices for them have been inflated recently because of demand, but that appears to be settling down now. I spy one in the Nikon ranks on eBay for less than $100. Good deal.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You gave me suggestions for some delicious lenses, but unfortunately I had to keep it cheap, because I felt the urge to change from the NEX-5R to the NEX-6 (integrated viewfinder) first.

So I got a copy of the quite small Zuiko Auto-S 38mm/F1.8 (Olympus PEN-System) for £90. I just did some test shots today, but I think I like it.

f/1.8:

Eissplittertorte

f/8:

Kirche bei Nacht

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just only now saw the thread, and reading through page one thought that I would answer suggesting the Pen-F 1.8/38 Wink
congrats, a truly amazing lens and remarkably sharp from wide open!

Michael mentioned a Canon LTM f3.5/35. There also are Canon LTM f2.8. f2. f1.8 and f1.5/35mm. Is there anyone here who has experience with any of these?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..i have the canon l39 1.5/35 and absolutely love it for its sixties rendering (on nex 7 that is)..looking forward to using it on the a7r..but its not coming cheap at all..

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Opton Biogon 2.8/35 is not going to be cheaper than modern day Voigtlaenders, and if Voigtlaenders are
out of budget limit, the Biogon will be out too.