Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Night shots with nikkor w-3.5cm/2.5 + gxr
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Night shots with nikkor w-3.5cm/2.5 + gxr Reply with quote

some towns near us are starting their christmas festivals, usually one night with parade and music and funny store windows. while the gxr is not known as a low light high iso workhorse, i think these came out very good, most at iso3200. the lens is really amazingly sharp and all pictures were taken wide open at 2.5. tbh i'm pretty amazed by this lens, it is the size of a thimble--you could i think literally swallow it! plus its probably at least 50 years old! holds up pretty well i think.

comments encouraged.
tony

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have that lens and I fully agree - pretty amazing!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. Very good low light performance.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good series Tony!! You recreated the atmosphere well, it feels like being there.
#4 is the winner amongst all good contenders.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you all very much! my wife and i really enjoyed ourselves, and happy shows in photos!

dr klaus: i would love to see some of your work with this special lens. my copy has a hint of a green tint, great for b&w. does yours?

hoan: i am starting to think while most low light performance is through camera ability, some also rests with the lens. some other lenses on gxr dont yield these kinds of results.

orio: thank you, and 4 was my favorite also. imo, the framing of back of the childrens heads in the lower right is just about perfect and elevates the photo and i think will remain one of my all time favorites.
tony

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony, honestly I don't know where I have it - bit embarrassing ! I preferred the Canon RF 3.5/25mm and Tevidon 35mm which are in my camera bag. So I guess I need to dig it out again and give it a spin!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the main problem when you have too many lenses Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, found it, just beneath my camera bag, so small that I simply overlooked it between all the Pen-F lenses that sit there also. Mine must be older, as it a Nippon Kogaku W-Nikkor (red)C 1:2.5 f=3.5cm lens, blueish/purplish coated.

I'll take a few shots, maybe from the Christmas lights deco around here... as it is St. Nicholas today! hoo hoo

@hoanpham: I cleaning up my collection these days, as I have too many lenses indeed, so if you need something... Wink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took an evening walk using that same lens and my Lumix GH1, see here:
http://forum.mflenses.com/w-nikkor-f2-5-3-5cm-35mm-evening-walk-in-weinheim-german-t55184.html

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comment by Patrick

Wonderful series Tony, really captures the spirit of small town USA

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion in similar light (darkness) hi iso performance is only what count really and awb

http://forum.mflenses.com/leica-noctilux-50mm-f1-t45974,start,75.html
To me looks all same expensive lens, like Leica or a Jupiter-8 really matter of camera and actual light , subject selection only.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful set of photos, the belly dancer caught my eye for some reason.

It is an interesting looking lens. Does it require a special adapter to use it on your camera?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you joseph. No special adapter needed as its an m39 leica screw mount lens. So i just use a standard m39>leica m mount adapter.
Tony

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Tony, for explaining more about this lens. I did a search on eBay and found references to different lenses with W-Nikkor associated with them. One was a lens for a underwater type camera. So I think my question issued forth after I saw that particular lens.