Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Spiratone YS 18mm f3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Spiratone YS 18mm f3.5 Reply with quote

I mentioned on the Forum that I was looking for one, it's been over 2 years now. Well I found one at a decent price. I need an ultrawide and I hope this one works out. I'm curious at how good or bad the performence will be on digital.

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For $36, I'm not sure that it matters. :-) I had the 3.2 version, and it really wasn't too bad.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a Sigma, I expect it's not great, but should be good enough. For 36 bucks, you can sell it for a profit if you don't like it.

Here's a utility designed to remove distortion and correct CA, it's most useful for ultrawides:

http://www.epaperpress.com/ptlens/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdarnton wrote:
For $36, I'm not sure that it matters. Smile I had the 3.2 version, and it really wasn't too bad.

Thanks. By what I've read the Sigma made 3.2 and the 3.5 are the same lens. The 3.2 came out in 1970, I think. The Sigma version was called the Widerama. Smile
The 3.5 version I just bought is a 1972.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Being a Sigma, I expect it's not great, but should be good enough. For 36 bucks, you can sell it for a profit if you don't like it.

Here's a utility designed to remove distortion and correct CA, it's most useful for ultrawides:

http://www.epaperpress.com/ptlens/

Thanks for the link. Smile If I remember correctly by f5.6 it's pretty decent, but soft wide open. I'm looking foward to giving it at try on digital. Not really many samples on the net fron this lens. I believe it actually tested pretty well, back in the day.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the sigma f 3.2 version. Paid 50 euros for it together with other stuff in an old bag. It seems pretty good (nothing stunning), especially for the price, being a so wide lens. But I haven't tested it deeply yet.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this lens branded Sigma. On digital I've only ever used it on a crop sensor camera (Canon EOS10D). It's certainly not stellar but is useable. I like it a lot. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiratone 18mm Rectilinear -- Three Versions

Spiratone Pluracoat 1:3.5 f=18mm Ultra Wideangle 72ø

Spiratone YS 1:3.5 f=18mm

Spiratone YS 1:3.2 f=18mm

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if the 3.2 is the same, here's a vintage shot I took with mine. Notice that it's
actually pretty good, except that the out-of-focus background is genuinely crappy.
I'm not sure if that's bokeh or lack of resolution, or both, but the focus point is close,
not out there in the background, it's more like on the button on his pants pocket

The full res version is here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mdarnton/6559257735/sizes/o/in/set-72157628767257187/

Camping in the Huron Mountains by Michael Darnton, on Flickr