Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Spiratone 18mm Rectilinear -- Three Versions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Spiratone 18mm Rectilinear -- Three Versions Reply with quote

Fixed mount (FD), first version, F3.5, CFD 0.22/0.7, Pluracoat:

YS Interchangeable Mount (M42, Nikon), second version, F3.5, CFD 0.17/0.6, with Auto/Man Diaphragm Ring:

YS Interchangeable Mount (ES), third version, F3.2, CFD 0.15/0.5:

(All photos made using 5D1 and Asahi Super-Multi-Coated Bellows-Takumar 1:4/100 @F/16)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got version 3. As promised I did some close focus test yesterday. Its pretty sharp stopped down. Mine hit its sweet around f5.6 and stays sharp till f11 and then little degrade at f16. I will post my findings later today. Only thing which bothers me is that it has no coating (or may be not very effective one ! )

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First one looks like a Tokina lens and the 2nd are 3rd are Sigma. Interesting.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any sample pics ?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi kopimorning, example photos are here and here

Someplace Embarassed I have photos comparing with Tamron 1:3.5/17, I will post when I sort those.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Hi kopimorning, example photos are here and here

Someplace Embarassed I have photos comparing with Tamron 1:3.5/17, I will post when I sort those.

I'd be interested in seeing this comparison if you still have the photos. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
First one looks like a Tokina lens and the 2nd are 3rd are Sigma. Interesting.

Indeed, the mount part looks like Tokina. I have Tokina made Vivitar 35mm/f2.8 in FD mount, the mount ring looks identical.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On 5Dc in Neutral with no PP adjustments except resize & convert to jpeg. Center and edge crops are pixels from 4368x2912 full frame sensor.

full images f/8, Spiratone on left, Tamron on right

centers, f/3.2, f/3.5

edges, f/3.2, f/3.5

centers, both f/5.6

edges, both f/5.6

centers, both f/8

edges, both f/8

Of course, keep bright lights from shining on the front element of the Spiratone/Sigma! (I did not try it with the Tamron):

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shot this with the second version, in 1977:

Camping in the Huron Mountains by Michael Darnton, on Flickr

When it got out of focus around the corners (at the top), it got ugly. As you can see in to foreground corners, in focus, it wasn't too bad out there. Larger: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mdarnton/6559257735/sizes/l/in/set-72157628767257187/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamron seems to be the winner, but if you can get a Spiraton for a good price, you shoudn't hesitate.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdarnton wrote:
I shot this with the second version, in 1977:

Camping in the Huron Mountains by Michael Darnton, on Flickr

When it got out of focus around the corners (at the top), it got ugly. As you can see in to foreground corners, in focus, it wasn't too bad out there. Larger: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mdarnton/6559257735/sizes/l/in/set-72157628767257187/

Welcome to the forum mdarnton!

Thanks for posting the nice example photo. I really want to re-do that test I made; looking at the edges in my photos now, I think the lens wasn't focused all the way to infinity -- the closer tree is in better focus there. I think the lens is better than I made it look! Embarassed

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

Thanks for posting the nice example photo. I really want to re-do that test I made; looking at the edges in my photos now, I think the lens wasn't focused all the way to infinity -- the closer tree is in better focus there. I think the lens is better than I made it look! Embarassed

+1
Focus is not set on the same distance it seems, or the lens has severe field curvature.

/T

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be curvature---the lower corners on my shot are quite a bit closer than some of the other places that are in focus, and should be more out than they are, whereas you'd normally expect the top corners to be better than they are. I never mind curvature, as long as there's something in focus somewhere, but I normally shoot people up close, not landscapes, where something like that would matter.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it looks like if both lenses were set to infinity and one of the adapters has the infinity off and lets the spiratone focus past infinity.

That, or the sipiratone (Tokina) copy is a lemon. The difference at f8 can't be that big at the center.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rafa1981 wrote:
For me it looks like if both lenses were set to infinity and one of the adapters has the infinity off and lets the spiratone focus past infinity.

That, or the sipiratone (Tokina) copy is a lemon. The difference at f8 can't be that big at the center.

The tests show the f/3.2 Sigma Spiratone results; I don't have a way to make infinity photos with the Tokina.

Actually the Spiratone seems focused closer than infinity. Perhaps that is what you meant(?) because I think the Tamron is indeed focused a little beyond infinity. My fault, not the adapters. Both lenses have (oem) m42 adapters, one YS and the other Adaptall-2; the same M42-EOS adapter was used for connecting both lenses to the camera.

Focusing was done in the viewfinder using a 2x eyepiece magnifier. I set focus at the center, but I failed to check focus at the edges. The Spiratone was front-focused compared to the Tamron. Notice the close tree is in focus in the Spiratone f/3.2 edge photo, but slightly out-of-focus in Tamron photo:

edges, f/3.2, f/3.5

I do think Tamron is also focused slightly beyond infinity, because that close tree should be sharp in Tamron edges at f/8 photo:

edges, both f/8

So imho in these tests the Tamron is focused very slightly past infinity, while the Spiratone is front focused not reaching infinity except at center.

Lens comparison tests Rolling Eyes They are nearly impossible to get accurate outside lab setting using standard target!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i seems very clear that the tamron lens is focused to infinity, but the other lens isnt reaching infinity quite yet.

i also think its and adapter problem,,, needs to be shimmed or the lens needs to be corrected.

because its a sharp lens only cause its not focused to infity it seem alot softer then the tamron.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but no, the adapter is not the problem. Both lenses will focus slightly past infinity if focus rings are turned all the way. The problem was me not focusing properly.