Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

spiratone 18mm 3.2 - surprise !!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: spiratone 18mm 3.2 - surprise !! Reply with quote

I bought this lens a while back and didnt check it afterwards. While going through my old stuff I stumbled upon this lens and thought-lets give it a try. I was really surprise to see how close it can focus. It was merely 6-7 inches giving me max magnification of 1:4 (approx) ! Even though it is not very sharp but I think I can find some really creative use for it . Very Happy

Smile Smile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Seriously cool closeness..3D pop as well??

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharp enough i woul say! i think these spiratones are very underrated as i recently picked up a 500mm mirror minitel T mount and ive found that it is just great.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice compositions, my fav #1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I may be missing something. The bokeh is nice and smooth but IQ looks soft and flat to my eyes?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is little soft wide open.. anyways i never expected it to be razor sharp wide open...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiratone 18/3.2 = Sigma 18/3.2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PBFACTS wrote:
Spiratone 18/3.2 = Sigma 18/3.2

The early Sigma (and Spiratone branded model) is f/3.5. The later version (Sigma-made) Spiratone f/3.2 and f/3.5 are the exact same lens. I have all of these, and will be posting photos of them and an example comparison later. (edit: The later F/3.5 and F/3.2 versions are NOT identical! See Spiratone 18mm Rectilinear -- Three Versions )

The later versions are surprisingly sharp at infinity, a little softer wide open, but by f/5.6 are as sharp as Tamron 3.5/17.

The Spiratones are rectilinear, not fisheye.

There are example photos (not mine) here: http://forum.manualfocus.org/viewtopic.php?id=13222

Last edited by visualopsins on Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:41 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's it like stopped down a bit? I have a 19mm Vivitar which isn't brilliant wide open, but even down one stop it changes quickly to something very usable.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stopped down it is sharp (at least what my a200 can resolve).. I will try to do some tests this weekend and will post some images..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over weekend I did some crude tests with this 18mm. Posting a comparison at close focus (but not min focal distance) for different f stops. Sorry for difference in exposure. Below are the 100% crop of the images.

@f3.2

@f4.0

@f5.6

@f8.0

@f11

@f16

You can access full image @ http://picasaweb.google.com/ashutosh.srv/Spirantone18mmTest#

In my opinion it is sharp enough at @5.6 till f11 if no PP is used. If some PP is used one can use it at 3.2 !

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some more samples at f8 infinity focus... center is pretty sharp but things are lost on borders and this is on APC-S camera.. full frame would be worse Crying or Very sad
ORIGINAL

Center 100% crop

Border 100% crop

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash, the entire left side of original is soft focus compared to right side, as if the lens was tilted slightly on camera.