Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

spiratone 18mm 3.2 - surprise !!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: spiratone 18mm 3.2 - surprise !! Reply with quote

I bought this lens a while back and didnt check it afterwards. While going through my old stuff I stumbled upon this lens and thought-lets give it a try. I was really surprise to see how close it can focus. It was merely 6-7 inches giving me max magnification of 1:4 (approx) ! Even though it is not very sharp but I think I can find some really creative use for it . Very Happy

Smile Smile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Seriously cool closeness..3D pop as well??

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharp enough i woul say! i think these spiratones are very underrated as i recently picked up a 500mm mirror minitel T mount and ive found that it is just great.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice compositions, my fav #1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I may be missing something. The bokeh is nice and smooth but IQ looks soft and flat to my eyes?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is little soft wide open.. anyways i never expected it to be razor sharp wide open...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiratone 18/3.2 = Sigma 18/3.2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
i think these spiratones are very underrated as i recently picked up a 500mm mirror minitel T mount and ive found that it is just great.

I can confirm that, I too had a very good experience with Minitel-M 500mm. It's one of the best cheap mirrors around, very sharp and contrasty, great bokeh (no "donuts").

For close-up wide shots like these, which I like very much, to me Flektogon 4/20 is simply perfect. Sharp as hell at minimum focus distance (16cm), and bokeh to die for Wink

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PBFACTS wrote:
Spiratone 18/3.2 = Sigma 18/3.2

The early Sigma (and Spiratone branded model) is f/3.5. The later version (Sigma-made) Spiratone f/3.2 and f/3.5 are the exact same lens. I have all of these, and will be posting photos of them and an example comparison later. (edit: The later F/3.5 and F/3.2 versions are NOT identical! See Spiratone 18mm Rectilinear -- Three Versions )

The later versions are surprisingly sharp at infinity, a little softer wide open, but by f/5.6 are as sharp as Tamron 3.5/17.

The Spiratones are rectilinear, not fisheye.

There are example photos (not mine) here: http://forum.manualfocus.org/viewtopic.php?id=13222

Last edited by visualopsins on Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:41 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's it like stopped down a bit? I have a 19mm Vivitar which isn't brilliant wide open, but even down one stop it changes quickly to something very usable.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stopped down it is sharp (at least what my a200 can resolve).. I will try to do some tests this weekend and will post some images..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over weekend I did some crude tests with this 18mm. Posting a comparison at close focus (but not min focal distance) for different f stops. Sorry for difference in exposure. Below are the 100% crop of the images.

@f3.2

@f4.0

@f5.6

@f8.0

@f11

@f16

You can access full image @ http://picasaweb.google.com/ashutosh.srv/Spirantone18mmTest#

In my opinion it is sharp enough at @5.6 till f11 if no PP is used. If some PP is used one can use it at 3.2 !

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some more samples at f8 infinity focus... center is pretty sharp but things are lost on borders and this is on APC-S camera.. full frame would be worse Crying or Very sad
ORIGINAL

Center 100% crop

Border 100% crop

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash, the entire left side of original is soft focus compared to right side, as if the lens was tilted slightly on camera.