Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rumour - Full frame Pentax to come in 2013?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Rumour - Full frame Pentax to come in 2013? Reply with quote

Interesting IF true...

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/also-pentax-will-use-the-new-sony-24-megapixel-ff-sensor/

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's been a lot of buzz around here. A local camera shop owner told me that a Pentax rep said an FF would be revealed at Photokina in September with a target sale date of just before Christmas. Shortly after that, the shop began stocking new Pentax gear for the first time in maybe ever. There seems to be a lot of talk about it being either a 24MP or 36MP Sony. If it's delayed until next year, the Internet logic says it's because it has the larger MP sensor and Sony wants their camera to come out with it first.

For my money, I'd rather have a 24MP FF so that more lenses can resolve well on it, there's less diffraction and smaller apertures, and so it's a bit cheaper. I'd be okay dropping about $1,800-2,200 for an FF Pentax with a 24MP sensor. I would not beinclined to drop $2,800-$3,200 on a 36MP sensor. Besides, there's simply no reason to have 36MPs except to attract MP freaks. And, frankly, those guys are mre drawn to Canon and Nikon anyway. Pentax's DSLRs have all been high-quality, well built units with really good capabilities and functions, but not necessarily the highest MP rating. I'll also add that my K-7 takes meaningfully better pictures than my office's Canon T1I for the simple fact that my images come out of the camera at 300 dpi, the T1I's come out a 72dpi. I'll take a 300 dpi native image any day and that, to me, is more important than MP rating.

Edit: Until this latest rumor, the price point has always been listed as $2,200. But who knows what it will be priced at when it comes out. At any rate, I seem to recall reading that RiceHigh, who translated the rumor, is a serious Pentax hater. I'm not sure if that's true or not.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoh boy; it's the one camera event I would seriously consider borrowing money to buy with.
Nah, considered it, but I was sorely tempted there Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentax got my money when I started on my photography journey several years ago with the K10. Great value for money. I think that was the key point for Pentax. Even their 3rd party lenses were usually cheaper. I think if they ever were to release a full frame (still far from guaranteed) they would consider they will be upselling people who respect that feature about them. With the pricing of FF expanding both high and low, perhaps it's a good time for Pentax to look at it again.

That said, I'm sure most Pentaxians have already gotten over FF. I would have had to if I were to have stayed - alas I could not and bought the only FF with shake reduction on the sensor for my old lenses. I do however hope it's true, more competition will benefit us all.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally cant wait to see proper image fall off in the corners when shooting wide open on shitty lenses Laughing

I want that classical film look back... without having to develop film all the time Laughing

(pentax glass owner)