Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ricoh TLS metering issue - batteries?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:13 am    Post subject: Ricoh TLS metering issue - batteries? Reply with quote

I was recently given a Ricoh TLS EE with a 50mm 1.4 lens for the price of shipping. It says it takes px625 batteries for the meter. I found a duracell alkaline PX625 battery that fits the camera. But, the metering does not appear to be operative. At first it would meter, but it was off by about 10 stops. After about 10 minutes the meter no longer moves. As this is the first camera I have played with that is this old I am wondering if this is normal when using alkalines (1.55v) instead of zinc air (1.4) or if it means the metering system is hosed. I was under the impression that using alkalines just meant that metering may be off by a half stop or so, but would still operate. Any advice? Should I just get out my sunny 16 scales?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd bet it's more to do with corroded connections at the battery compartment or inside the body. Certainly, an alkaline battery should work ok, but as you say, the meter would be out by a consistent amount if it was supposed to take a 1.4V-ish battery.

Once it works...
If it says px625 in the manual and you fitted px625 it should be reasonably accurate, but alkaline drop voltage quicker than silver oxide.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Ricoh TLS metering issue - batteries? Reply with quote

Bridge schemes of measurement of balance as a rule are noncritical to a battery voltage.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have another camera that uses the same battery - if so you can test that the battery you use is good. Alternately, a voltmeter will do.

Most likely corrosion of the battery terminals - a good cleaning should help there. Less likely there's some short in the circuit, which may be draining the battery... though it shouldn't drain it THAT fast. More likely an intermittent circuit somewhere, or a resistor gone bad.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you can still use the camera going Sunny 16 or use a handheld
meter. Camera is nice and heavy as I recall.

Last edited by Katastrofo on Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Camera is nice and heavy as I recall.

At it a loud sound of a shutter and the dark view-finder. On М42 Fujica is better.