Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rachel in Black and White.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Rachel in Black and White. Reply with quote

With a Pentax K10D and a Vivitar Series 1 85mm f/1.4 lens.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are absolutely brilliant! I can't pick a favourite.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's beautiful, your shots too !

I prefer the 3rd one which shows a kind of softness which suits her very well.
In the second one, she lokks tired.
In the first one, maybe you could supress those white spots at the corner of her eyes.

Smile

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:

+1
Perhaps last one, so cute!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much post-processing did you do with these shots?

The second one is really excellent and very natural-looking; but the first, third and fourth (to my eye) suffer from over-sharpening which is most evident in her hair as fuzzy noise.

Embarassed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:

Thank you Martin.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
She's beautiful, your shots too !

I prefer the 3rd one which shows a kind of softness which suits her very well.
In the second one, she lokks tired.
In the first one, maybe you could supress those white spots at the corner of her eyes.

Smile

Thank you Olivier.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:

+1
Perhaps last one, so cute!

Thank you Attila.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mal1905 wrote:
How much post-processing did you do with these shots?

The second one is really excellent and very natural-looking; but the first, third and fourth (to my eye) suffer from over-sharpening which is most evident in her hair as fuzzy noise.

Embarassed

Very little sharpening but I do a touch of contrast adjustment and use a vignette blur. The highlights and points of light are from the flash used for these. I will work at controlling these more. I really hate using a flash but figured I need to get better at that aspect of indoor photography. I guess I'm still not there yet. Sorry these did not please. I will try to do better.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beautifulllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

#2 is oh so nice. Beautiful model and amazing photo.
In #4, her eyes are so captivating that I didn't even notice the "pp issues" that Mal sees.

Sharpening portrait is a pain. I've encountered the same problem. When the sharpening amount that's enough for the eyes is likely to much for hair. Especially dark hair.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bogolisk wrote:
beautifulllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

#2 is oh so nice. Beautiful model and amazing photo.
In #4, her eyes are so captivating that I didn't even notice the "pp issues" that Mal sees.

Sharpening portrait is a pain. I've encountered the same problem. When the sharpening amount that's enough for the eyes is likely to much for hair. Especially dark hair.

Thank you Bogolisk. I will work on the PP for the next ones. I really appreciate the critiques I get here. They are almost never mean spirited and quite helpful.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:
Very little sharpening but I do a touch of contrast adjustment and use a vignette blur. The highlights and points of light are from the flash used for these. I will work at controlling these more. I really hate using a flash but figured I need to get better at that aspect of indoor photography. I guess I'm still not there yet. Sorry these did not please. I will try to do better.

It's not that they didn't please - it was simply a case that when looking at them, the hair seemed particularly 'frizzy' compared to the rest of the features. Having had this happen myself in the past, I assumed that it was a case of over-sharpening as was my experience.

Your compositions are excellent, please do not take my words as criticism, they were not meant in that way at all Wink

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely photos of Rachel. My pick will be #3 & #4.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She is lovely! I especially like #3 it's just perfect!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely shots ! Last one is super-cute Wink

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mal1905 wrote:
Big Dawg wrote:

It's not that they didn't please - it was simply a case that when looking at them, the hair seemed particularly 'frizzy' compared to the rest of the features. Having had this happen myself in the past, I assumed that it was a case of over-sharpening as was my experience.

Your compositions are excellent, please do not take my words as criticism, they were not meant in that way at all Wink

Do not worry my friend. I take critiques from this forum as welcome viewpoints and try to learn from them.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my_photography wrote:
Lovely photos of Rachel. My pick will be #3 & #4.

Thank you MP.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heartcat wrote:
She is lovely! I especially like #3 it's just perfect!

She and her twin sister are always so photogenic. It is hard to get a bad photo of them.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tobbsman wrote:
Lovely shots ! Last one is super-cute Wink

Cheers
Tobias

Thank you Tobias.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning BigDawg

patrickh

Good to see you putting the new toy to such good use

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm not wrong, this new toy is the same as the Samyang 1.4/85 ?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
If I'm not wrong, this new toy is the same as the Samyang 1.4/85 ?

Yes it is the same optical formula in a different style body.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're a lucky man Big Dawg, those eyes are going to break a few hearts. Smile

When I first saw this thread I thought maybe the first picture was with film and the rest digital, it has that look - even the tints give them that feel. But now you've explained the PP work it makes sense. I like them all very much but I hope you don't mind me saying I think they'd be even better with less adjustment.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super shots. She makes a great model. I like pics of moody kids Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
You're a lucky man Big Dawg, those eyes are going to break a few hearts. Smile

When I first saw this thread I thought maybe the first picture was with film and the rest digital, it has that look - even the tints give them that feel. But now you've explained the PP work it makes sense. I like them all very much but I hope you don't mind me saying I think they'd be even better with less adjustment.

You may be right but I like them this way. Just how my eyes see them and the way my monitor displays my adjustments. I do tend to over do them sometimes so stay on me about it. I actually do less and less PP as I get more and more used to a lens camera combination. One day I'll not have to do the PP I hope!