Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Purchasing a M42 Camera Body - Which?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Purchasing a M42 Camera Body - Which? Reply with quote

Hi! Smile

I've mostly photographed with a DSLR until now, but some months back a friend of mine gave me an old Zenit-3M to play with. After a few rolls of film I now would like to do some more film photography, being of a generation for which digital is the norm this is a whole new world for me.

I'm not looking to replace my current (EOS 400D) camera, but rather to complement it. For this I think the M42 mount is the best choice, since that gives a much wider range of lenses (and cameras) to choose from while not being limited to a specific brand.

I've tried to come up with a camera that would fit my needs without being too expensive. Since there is such a huge selection available, I've probably overlooked the most, which is why I ask for your opinions. To narrow it down, I'd prefer to have TTL metering. I currently use a Sekonic Studio S lightmeter with the Zenit-3M, but I'd like to have the option to meter TTL when needed. Further narrowing it down, I sometimes find the shutter speeds on the 3M a bit limiting, I'd prefer to have 1-1/1000s + B.
Then the 'cost issue'; I can't afford to spend more than about 150 USD. What I hope to find is a decent camera that would be relatively reliable.

On the basis of the above, I believe the Zenit-19 might be for me? From what I've read it's quite robust and relatively good. The default lens(es), the Helios 58mm/Zenitar 50mm, I understand are of good optical quality.
I also took a long and good look at the Pentax Spotmatic series, but I gather they have had some sticking light meters and other small problems?
A third manufacturer I concentrated on was the Praktica line of cameras, which I understand are very reliable. There's such a great deal of them though, I'm not sure which ones are the ones to look out for.

What price would you say the Zenit-19 is worth? I see them on ebay for around and above $100, locally (Helsinki, Finland) I haven't seen a single one.

Anyway, apologies for the long post, and great thanks for any opinions on the matter! I'm happy to have found this forum, here is such a wealth of information especially on "traditional" photography. Very Happy

Thanks!
-Martin (Decapolis)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome

For using m42 lenses, you can take Pentax , Prakticas , Zenits as you said. The simplest ones, are for me the Prakticas and i've even found it too technically advanced like a MTL 5 ( metering through lens ). That's why i switched to a magnificent Praktica L black model. price body only was 17€.

No batteries needed ! no metering in viewfinder, the vf itself has microprism and stigometer , not very bright but cool, speed is 1sec to 1/1000 + B pose.

looks after simple ones, like L2 or LTL. All of those bodies are in between 20 to 40€ max often with a lens.

this is a link to help you find a Praktica if you want some more details :
http://www.praktica-collector.de

THIS WAS NOT A PRAKTICA ADD I SWEAR ! Laughing

good choice in finding your camera

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for MTL-5

Zenit is less trustworthy camera many of them has curtain problem.

Japanese M42 cameras more fine pieces.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you'r interested i am selling a MTL5 body, its like new.
Seals , cover etc functions perfect. I even have the batteries.

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentax Spotmatics are great cameras. Not sure what bad press you've heard but it probably isn't justified. I've got 3 (don't ask).

Prakticas are okay. I've more than enough of them though. I was kindly given 2 of them and others I've bought because of the lenses.

My latest and favourite is the Chinon CE-3. These are harder to come by though.

What country are you from?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Zenit 19 is a very good camera, its well built and handles well too, the meter is accurate and the range of shutter speeds is better than a usual Zenit. The main problem to watch for is the electronics, they can be very unreliable due to poor soldering mostly and battery consumption can be very high. Other than that very recommended and I notice they have been fetching higher prices recently. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for 150 USD you could buy yourself several cameras! Depending of course where in the world you are. The history of distribution often defines which brands are plentiful in a given country... Oh! oletkin Helsingissa... there are a couple of Finns here who would know what is plentiful and good in Finland.

In general, when the meter electronics go, it's not worth/possible to repair. But replacing the light seals is easy and you should expect to do this with just about any camera of this era.

The Chinon Memotrons seem excellent, they are some of the last M42's introduced... some day I'd like to try one.

What I've tried and enjoyed:

Yashica TL Electro-X (and the other Electros) - these are large cameras but the most comfortable to use for me. The meter switch is on the bottom right, which is a more convenient spot than with the Spotmatics.

Fujicas - a very nicely made series. I have the ST605 which is very small by M42 camera standards, the meter switch is very convenient- you squeeze it with your right finger... For me the 605 meter needle is sometimes difficult to see with my glasses on. The 605 is also obviously built to a price point.

Spotmatics - these really are the best made, precision instruments, lovely to use... and they are repairable. Also tend to be the most expensive.

The Praktica I had briefly was fun, but not built to the standards of the above. The one I had was for the Electric lenses, which is a cool idea.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go for the Pentax Spotmatic series. I used to have an ES II and a SP. The cameras are well built and reliable and I never had any problems with them. I liked the automatic exposure of the ESII but you do need the SMC Takumars for it. You should get a Pentax for about 30-60EUR depending on the model.

I also had several Prakticas but they are not built like the Pentax but cheaper. On 3 of them I had the same problem with the film advance mechanism so I suppose their might be a construction error.
The best Practica I had was the VLC2 with the interchangeable finders and screens but you will need the GDR electric lenses to use the open aperture metering.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can have two bites of the cherry e.g. A canon T90 with a choice of FD lenses AND an FD adapter to take M42 lenses.

T90 about £70-£90
adapter about £4-£8

or

Canon FTB about £30
adapter about £4-£8

Using M42 lenses with these cameras and you can only use them in stop down mode (i.e. F stop)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purely on the basis of quality, the Pentax Spotmatic is the best there is. Anything else in that league (Olympus FTL, Fujica) will be less plentiful on the market.

In terms of quality for the price, the Zenit is hard to beat. I would go for an E or EM, they are simpler with less to go wrong. The ones I've had are well built, reliable and smooth in operation.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the OP has vanished.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mother (when i was a child she was a teacher in amateur photo studio) had a Zenit 19. It was a very nice camera, but it is not works now. So I would advice you to find a fully mechanical camera, because i don`t think that old cameras with electronic shutter are a reliable choice.
The best choice for you is Practikas with TTL system or japaneese Fujicas. Spotmatic is a very beautiful camera, but it is a very old camera and I am not sure that its metering system will work properly.

My first camera was Zenit TTL (with the same shutter as Zenit E, B, ET, EM , 11, 122 and others) and it still works good. And I advice you to get you Zenit of this shutter system as a second M42 camera.

Last edited by Yuriy M. on Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, and thanks to you all for your replies!

martinsmith99 wrote:
I think the OP has vanished.

Well, almost. Embarassed
I went on a spur-of-the-moment biking trip to the Åland Islands a day after posting the topic, I didn't mean to 'disappear' like that.

A lot of different options now! Many voices speaking for the Spotmatics, but also the Zenits and Prakticas. Some completely new cameras I've never heard of, for example the Chinons.

I'll have a more detailed look into all recommendations, and I think, since no overwhelmingly clear consensus exists, that the deciding factor will be if I find a good deal on one of them somewhere.

Thanks to you all for the replies!

-Decapolis Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you had a good trip.

I have 5 Prakticas that I've collected accidentally. I'd gladly send you one for the price of postage. I think you're in the US though so it may not be the cheapest option.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:

I have 5 Prakticas that I've collected accidentally. I'd gladly send you one for the price of postage. I think you're in the US though so it may not be the cheapest option.

Closer than that... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aland_Islands

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What models do you have ? just curious.... at least for now Laughing

i'd highly recommend this camera. why ? ok its maybe not the best looking to some, IS a bit heavy actullay, but its reliable, and some models have no batteries, the function are very minimalist : no aids whatsoever ( depending of camera ) shutter, viewfinder, speed/iso setting and that's all. use a lightmeter and you're into real old school photography. I've tried my Praktica L some days ago, and i was really surprised of the results.

prices are between 15€ and 40€ sometimes with the lens, Tessar 2.8 or Pentacon 1.8. check ebay ( UK !!! more choices and great deals )

i think that as technology evoluates even more, i'm fond of even older cameras Razz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd buy this one:
http://www.huuto.net/fi/showitem.php3?itemid=110618390

The more I look at it the more I start to think about bidding it .. Cool
(click the pic and you see it better)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would agree with Nesster and Kansalliskala, the Tl electro is a good choice too, I have one as well as a Zenit 19 and would reckon its every bit as good, things to look out for are batteries, mine takes 2x px640 and they are not easy to get, you can use LR44 batteries and pack them out to get the right fit with cardboard and washers however.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:

Closer than that... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aland_Islands

Thanks Dave - I assumed US as he mentioned $s.

To the OP, I have a Praktica LTL body coming in the next day or 2. If you want it it's yours for the price of postage. I'll even put new light seals and a battery in it for you. I also have a Praktica Nova PL 1 which is in good condition for it's age, but these have no light meter (better build though).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
To the OP, I have a Praktica LTL body coming in the next day or 2. If you want it it's yours for the price of postage. I'll even put new light seals and a battery in it for you. I also have a Praktica Nova PL 1 which is in good condition for it's age, but these have no light meter (better build though).

If you're willing to part with it, I'd be more than extremely grateful to accept this offer for the Praktica LTL! Very Happy

I'm located in Helsinki, Finland; I'll send a PM with the address and we can work out the details.

Regards,
-Martin/Decapolis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised there's so much support for Zenits an Prakticas; in my experience even the best models of those have relatively small and/or dim viewfinders. One advantage may be that many of these don't have foam light-seals that would need to be replaced, but other than that I would pick a Fujica as the budget M42 body.

Of course, this is an oldish thread and may no longer be relevant to the OP as they probably received the LTL already, but… =)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkku wrote:
I'm surprised there's so much support for Zenits an Prakticas; in my experience even the best models of those have relatively small and/or dim viewfinders. One advantage may be that many of these don't have foam light-seals that would need to be replaced, but other than that I would pick a Fujica as the budget M42 body.

Of course, this is an oldish thread and may no longer be relevant to the OP as they probably received the LTL already, but… =)

I saw somewhere this avatar! If I remember as well on Flickr.

Warm Welcome here!

You have absolutely right in this case, I think not many people know Fujica cameras lot more know Praktica and Zenits. I just bought week ago a Fujica St801 and I am happy owner too.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a nice Fujica collection... Very Happy

I highly recommend the ST801, it's solid, VERY bright, and easy to use.

Most of the people who know me on these boards have already seen the pic of my mint ST801, I'll repost it anyway... Smile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes , we know your Fujica collection. I saw an ST901 in shop too. Is it same recommended one ?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

I saw somewhere this avatar! If I remember as well on Flickr.

Warm Welcome here!

Hi, thanks for the welcome, and yes, I'm mostly active on flickr. Some people may recognise me from there e.g. as co-moderator of the M42 group or co-admin of the Sony Alpha DSLR group, where I often advocate M42 lenses as an alternative to modern plastic AF gear. =)

I actually registered on this forum over two years ago but never posted anything since I don't like “polling” different online forums for new posts, and the RSS feed here isn't very convenient (all the sub-forums seem to be in one feed and the feed entries do not contain the text of each post). But while researching some lenses I ended up browsing through this forum at some length and decided to finally give in and say something…

spiralcity wrote:
I highly recommend the ST801, it's solid, VERY bright, and easy to use.

Agreed, I have one (no, wait, two*) of those myself, and I've grown quite fond of it despite my initial aversion towards the LED meter. The ST701 is also very nice with a needle meter, but perhaps not quite as nice in overall “feel” as the ST801. But I don't see anything particularly wrong with the cheaper bodies like ST605(n)'s, and I think they make great cameras for someone wanting to try a film body (e.g. after buying M42 lenses for use on DSLRs) without paying too much.

* I actually had to open up a box of “extra cameras” to check if I have two ST801's. I think this hoarding is getting out of hand; I probably should sell some of the ones I've only bought to get a lens that comes with them. ;>