Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Polyester is NO good!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Polyester is NO good! Reply with quote

I recently returned to using Adox CHS film (this is the stuff that was Efke, made in Croatia). I adore it. It is one of the last remaing proper high-silver content films.

I was really dismayed when I got my latest batch and discovered a label on the carton stating "NEW CLEAR POLYESTER BASE". I work as a lab technician in film coating technology, and I already know that Polyester is a nightmare for static electricity generation. Celluloid materials that film are usually made from is not a problem, as it has a high moisture content and the static can dissipate before it has a chance to build up. Polyester is an oil based film and has no moisture content at all. We have spent many thousands of pounds eliminating static build-up on our films in the factory.

So, just three films in to my new batch, and I have started getting static discharges in the film, and it is wrecking some frames.

This is a classic static discharge pattern. I fear that I have used my last Adox Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polyester base is incredibly wide spread on large and medium format film, and has been for many years. I haven't had any issues with them, but then, these films are back-coated, while 135mm is blank and uses a felt-lipped cartridge - which both increase the risk of static discharges.

Sevo

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, interesting that they didn't use SOME kind of substrate to isolate the polyester? They must not have tested their own film? Shocked

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true. It's the winding and unwinding that creates the problems Sad

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good grief, that totally wrecks a shot. I'm thinking of little anti-static brushes that rub against the film and connect to a grounding rod, running down the photographer's leg. Smile

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
Good grief, that totally wrecks a shot. I'm thinking of little anti-static brushes that rub against the film and connect to a grounding rod, running down the photographer's leg. Smile

Laughing
I guess that would be a sort of IS system for film shooters in a way Wink

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I can confirm the problem. In the past I made some Ilfochrome prints before it disappeared from the shelves of my usual seller.
This material has a polyester base and albeit I could not see any effect on the finished print I indeed saw some discharges while inserting the sheets in the developing drum.
Marty.