Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nice Nikons but what is the one in the right?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Nice Nikons but what is the one in the right? Reply with quote

http://www.last.fm/music/Kraftwerk/+images/2227064

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not any Nikon I know.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konica FP-1 maybe

http://bimg2.mlstatic.com/maquina-fotografica-cmera-antiga-konica-fp-1-made-in-japan_MLB-F-4477658633_062013.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely not a Konica FP1, the 'FP1' logo is in the wrong place and the rectangular feature is differently shaped.

Perhaps it's a canon AE1 with the battery compartment door missing:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..or a Ricoh KR 10 super?

http://www.photography.gordonengland.co.uk/photo-gallery2/d/4203-4/ricoh-kr10-super-001.JPG

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Ricoh but the name seems longer. Is there some German two-part brand name?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
Looks like Ricoh but the name seems longer. Is there some German two-part brand name?

I think it is the Ricoh did they re brand these?

Poor guy, the others all have F's with motordrives and he gets a plastic one

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:

Yes but look at the face of the guy without camera. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's got a Leica M4 with a Summilux 35mm f1.4 wrapped casually over his shoulder, just out of sight. A small, casual statement. Not an in-your-face I've a Nikon and a three pound motorwinder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
philslizzy wrote:

Yes but look at the face of the guy without camera. Smile

Somebody had to carry all the film those motor drives burned through.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first I thought Phillslizzy had nailed it. But there was something about it that just didn't look right, for it to be an AE-1 -- or an AE-1 Program, or any A-series, with the possible exception of the AV-1. Unique to the AV-1 is a redesigned battery door. It's larger, so there's less space between the bottom of the battery compartment and the edge of the bottom cover. But! It's new shape is different enough from what we see in the photo, where I believe it can safely be excluded.

With reference to the AE-1, take a look at this and you'll see what I mean. I found a shot of the AV-1 I could use as a comparison, but once I started lining things up, it became obvious that this mystery cam is not an AV-1.

The battery compartment, if that's what it is, is not located in the right place on that camera for it to be an A-anything Canon. I grabbed a pic of an AE-1 off the internet, then shrank it down until it was exactly the same height as the camera in the photo. I then had to rotate the AE-1 a bit so the connecting lines would be parallel with the surfaces on each camera. You can see where I've drawn lines from the top and bottom of the AE-1's battery compartment over to the rectangular figure on the mystery camera. It's off just a tad, position-wise, too, but it's possible to attribute that apparent difference to human error (mine). I then drew a line from where the bottom cover meets up with the body on the AE-1 over to the mystery camera. I did this to emphasize the greater depth between the bottom of the Canon's battery compartment with the bottom of its body and to show that this is a narrower dimension on the mystery camera. In fact, once you pay attention to that one dimension alone, you don't need to measure or draw lines or anything. The difference is clear.

There is also a bright shiney object that appears to be protruding from the right side of the lens. I drew an arrow to it and placed a question mark next to the arrow. It almost looks like the lens release button on a K-mount Pentax, but I've never seen a chrome or white one before.

So anyway, once I had satisfied myself sufficiently that this wasn't an AE-1 (or an AV-1), I began to look for evidence of what it might be. And I tried all the camera models I could think of. The Fujica AX series came close, as did the Olympus OMF. The Konica FP-1 also came close, but that rectangular whatsit on the FP-1 was too big in comparison to the rectangular object on the mystery camera. I tried everything from Canon to Yashica, and I could not find a camera with a rectangular object on its right side to match the one in the photo. This is very aggravating. I've wasted entirely too much time on this.