Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My Leica Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this thread; it's so way out there that it's beyond envy, beyond my LBA Laughing Impressive for sure, tho.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my_photography wrote:
Now come a tough question. If you were to pick 5 of your favourite Leica lens (M or R) out of your collection, which will that be and for any special reason?

Yes, it is a tough question; however, in my humble opinion the chosen ones should be the most used lenses. Here comes in order

Summicron 1:2/50 DR, high resolution and low contrast, giving very natural feel and very pleasant tonal range. This is the champion of my choice; however, unfortunately it cannot fit onto a M8 camera;

Summicron-M 1:2/35 (7-element), I like the bokeh, compact and handy for travel, not eye-catching;

Elmarit-M 1:2.8/90 (2nd version), well balance with contrast and color rendition, compactness, and good tonal range;

MR-Telyt-R 1:8/500, although it is a mirror reflex lens, it gives very sharp photo and the bokeh is splendid. I think it is one of the best mirror reflex lenses in the market; and

Apo-Summicron-R 1:2/180, a modern design, high flare resistant, and excellant contrast.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nothing wider than 35mm FL ?

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amoebahydra wrote:

Yes, it is a tough question; however, in my humble opinion the chosen ones should be the most used lenses. ....

MR-Telyt-R 1:8/500, although it is a mirror reflex lens, it gives very sharp photo and the bokeh is splendid. I think it is one of the best mirror reflex lenses in the market; and ....

Wow, you shoot a lot with 500. Bird shooting? Is it difficult to focus with a mirror relex lens?

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my_photography wrote:
amoebahydra wrote:

Yes, it is a tough question; however, in my humble opinion the chosen ones should be the most used lenses. ....

MR-Telyt-R 1:8/500, although it is a mirror reflex lens, it gives very sharp photo and the bokeh is splendid. I think it is one of the best mirror reflex lenses in the market; and ....

Wow, you shoot a lot with 500. Bird shooting? Is it difficult to focus with a mirror relex lens?

MR-Telyt is not only suit for bird shooting, in fact I did a lot of "tele-macro" shoot of flowers; it gives splendid bokeh and is unique of mirror lens. In fact, for bird shooting I use the Apo-Telyt-R module system instead. It's compactness and light-weight makes it an always companion in my backpack trip.

It is not difficult to focus at all with Leica SLRs as the viewfinder is very bright.

Samples of photos taken with the MR-Telyt-R 1:8/500...

Last edited by amoebahydra on Fri May 22, 2009 6:35 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
nothing wider than 35mm FL ?

If going to choose 10 favorites, then I will select wider than 35mm...

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my god, that third shot is out of this world.... Shocked

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rawhead wrote:

Yes, it's fantastic! I agree!

amoebahydra wrote:
Summicron 1:2/50 DR, high resolution and low contrast, giving very natural feel and very pleasant tonal range. This is the champion of my choice; however, unfortunately it cannot fit onto a M8 camera;

But you can mount it to a Panasonic G1. Just as a little hint... Wink

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

Yes, but it becomes a 100mm lens...I use the DR on Epson RD-1 as well but not on M8.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lonely one... the only AF Leica lens that I have - Leica D Vario-Elmarit 1:2.8-3.5/14-50mm ASPH. It is for use in 4/3 system camera.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amoebahydra wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

Yes, but it becomes a 100mm lens...I use the DR on Epson RD-1 as well but not on M8.

Well, it's like a 100mm lens on a G1 and like an 80mm lens on an RD-1. Not that much of a difference, is it? Wink

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
rawhead wrote:

Yes, it's fantastic! I agree!

amoebahydra wrote:

The summicron DR is the same lens that the common 7 elements 2/50. All of these lenses (in M mount not the collapsible)have the old leica M touch - high resolution power and neutral (not low) contrast.

The newest are more contrast lenses.

The DR have the eyes and the protruding mechanism to focus down to 50 cm., no more differences with the common version. I had both (near of 12 copies of the common and only 2 of the DR and the rendering of both types were identical - obviusly, Leica M quality-)

The neutral (realistic) contrast is the best to work with the digital way.

Rino.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
amoebahydra wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

Well, it's like a 100mm lens on a G1 and like an 80mm lens on an RD-1. Not that much of a difference, is it? Wink

Most importantly is the size of the sensor. With smaller sensor area of the micro-4/3, the pixel size has to be smaller than that of M8 or RD-1. This means capability to capture photon is smaller and affect accumulation of electrons in the CCD well, this means tonal range is affected and photos will appear less 3D.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amoebahydra wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:
amoebahydra wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

Most importantly is the size of the sensor. With smaller sensor area of the micro-4/3, the pixel size has to be smaller than that of M8 or RD-1. This means capability to capture photon is smaller and affect accumulation of electrons in the CCD well, this means tonal range is affected and photos will appear less 3D.

True! That's, for me, one of the major drawbacks of the 4/3 system...

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

True! That's, for me, one of the major drawbacks of the 4/3 system...

To me, number of pixels is not the most important criteria for choosing DSLR or digital back; instead balance of number of pixels and pixel size would give me most satisfactory result. 9 micron pixel size and number of pixels greater or equal to 10M serves me well.

For 10M, it already give good result for 16x20" prints which is adequate for general purpose and then I select the DSLR/back with largest pixel size sensor. If larger print is required, I then go for large/medium format film.

BTW, I use 4/3 system as its body register provides sufficient clearance for adapting Contarex lenses and is by far the only way I know to use these Carl Zeiss masterpiece digitally without damaging the lens.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens looks great on the E-330!!

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH MY GOD!!! Shocked
those photos are just amazing!!
And I'm not going to comment about the lens collection... I've lost the words! Laughing

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Accessories that my Leica lenses wear...Leica polarizers

On the back is Leica M polariser, with E39, E46 and E49 adapters; as M cameras are not SLR, the polariser has to swing upward 180 deg (there is a stop for that position) to observe the effect for optimal adjustment and then swing back for shooting.

Front row from left are EW67 for PC-Super-Angulon-R 1:2.8/28, E67, E60, E55, Series 8 which use the adjustment wheel of the lens hood to adjust, special series 6 for use in filter drawers of the Apo-Telyt-R module system and Apo-Summicron-R 1:2/180

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mechanical Leicaflexes...robust like tanks and are the best I saw!

From left to right

Leicaflex SLmot, can attach with Leicaflex motor winder
Leicaflex SL, 1972 Olympic commensurate set
Leicaflex Standard, the first Leica SLR
Leicaflex SL2, commensurate 50th anniversary of Leitz camera
Leicaflex SL2 mot, can attach with Leicaflex motor winder

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first Leica camera that I bought thirty years ago...it is in fact my favourite Leica SLR. I continue to acquire a second body for back up and subsequently bought a safari version and then a motor winder version. I use them most often until using R system digitally; as R3 cannot connect with DMR and I have to use R8/DMR combination.

From left to right, R3 safari, my first R3 with all sort of scars after years of use, my second R3 and R3mot the motorised R3 version ...

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amoebahydra, how do you use Contarex lenses on Olympus?
As far as I know, Contarex lenses don't have the aperture ring.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Amoebahydra, how do you use Contarex lenses on Olympus?
As far as I know, Contarex lenses don't have the aperture ring.

I use a custom-made adapter that has aperture adjustment coupling with contarex lenses. There is sufficient difference in body registers of Contarex and 4/3 that make the aperture coupling device feasible.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Clever!

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool... so if I understand correctly, that adapter was created only for you, on your specific request...

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my god!

That lens collection is like a CATHEDRAL which is built from lenses!

But something is missing there Smile --

tf