Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta A another birth year camera!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Minolta A another birth year camera! Reply with quote

Here is my lovely Minolta A. Pretty good condition and working nicely. It is in the queue of cameras i must film test!

The body shape is not good, its awkward to hold properly - I imagine if you have small hands it could be difficult.

It took me a few moments to find the shutter speed dial - its on the top plate just above the Minolta name. The self timer - as always is a little hesitant so best well left alone.

The A was an entry level camera designed to compete with the German models and priced cheaper. But import tax of far-eastern imports was very high so it never got a real hold in the UK market.

Spec:

Minolta-A mk2, from 1956
35mm Rangefinder Camera
Fixed lens: Chiyoko Rokkor 45mm f3.5 with 4 elements in 3 groups
Optiper MX shutter: 1 to 1/300th

Interesting trivia I think : The manuals of German cameras mention depth of focus, on the Japanese ones they call it (correctly) depth of field.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one I hadn't seen before. The Optiper lens line must have been short-lived.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
That's one I hadn't seen before. The Optiper lens line must have been short-lived.

Optiper MX is the shutter, isn't it?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are cute chubby cameras, the lens is a good one. That shutter speed dial is stepless, so you can set it to any 'in-between' speed... and is on top like that so that the light meter that sat in the flash shoe coupled to it. The meter misses the shutter dial on my A-2, also a birth year camera for me Wink

Minolta A-2 by Nesster, on Flickr

Minolta A-2 by Nesster, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to know its a stepless shutter. They don't mention that in the (Butkuss) instruction manual.
I suppose I must look out for an A2 now.

So many cameras so little time!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DR.JUAN wrote:
Farside wrote:

Optiper MX is the shutter, isn't it?

You're right. And the M - X would have been flash selection. Doh! Embarassed