Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

MF Lens kit? Choosing between 3 135mm 2.8's
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: MF Lens kit? Choosing between 3 135mm 2.8's Reply with quote

Not too long ago I swapped my D600 for an A7 with several adapters. Now I'm getting somewhere at building a lens kit with the most current focal lengths - from 24 to 135mm. The last position isn't filled in yet - right now I have three options for max. € 100,-
1 Canon nFD 135mm 2.8
2.Minolta later tele rOKKOR MC (non PF) or MD - preferably MD first version
3.Tamron Adaptall-2 03b, 135mm, 2.5

Which one of the three should I prefer qua sharpness, color rendition and bokeh?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO_IMHO_IMHO

I believe that any of these lenses deserve to be staff lens. each of these lots has its advantages and disadvantages. therefore I propose "to roll the dice", chose lens at random.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4. jupiter 11A/37A / tair 11A.
Now you're going to tell me these aren't f2.8...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are all very similar rank. Perhaps i'd go for a bit of extravaganza in Tamron F2.5. If CANON would be S.C. F2.5 i'd choose it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely the Tamron but pay for really good condition... Like 1 small

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a few lenses that might escape notice in 135 / 2.8 that are better than might be expected.

I have three different versions of the early Tokina Tele Auto, one is a Tokina, and the others are Soligor and Mamiya Sekor. They are a bit larger than most 135's but not heavy. They're remarkably sharp, and lovely bokeh, and usually cheap. Out of 23 various 135mm lenses - the Soligor is the M42 mount 2.8 I use most - except for, my Pentacon 135 / 2.8 which is my favourite lens in this range.

I also have an M42 Cimko 135 / 2.8 that is branded Super Paragon, and it's a good lens, very compact, sharp but the bokeh can be a bit fussy.

Don't even think about the Japanese built Helios 135 / 2.8, it's rubbish. ( But I have at least one I want to get rid of, should you feel the need )

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Meyer Gorlitz Orestor 135mm f2.8 which has excellent Bokeh also the Carl Zelss Jena mc Sonnar is quite good.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you bide your time and do some diligent trawling, a vivitar close focus 135mm f2.8* in a mount for which you have an adapter is likely to turn up for around your stated budget... now thats a good 135mm. Priciest option of the non-oem lenses suggested so far..
Tamron adaptall 03B is no doubt a good lens: half a stop faster, but also softer wide open IME than many of the lenses cited so far. One just sold on ebay UK for around £15, at that price its a steal. Normally bid up closer to fifty...

*not to be confused with the commonplace, also komine made and very decent Vivitar 135mm auto tele f2.8..

Last edited by marcusBMG on Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:47 pm; edited 4 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tamron 2.5/135 (03B) is a split Triplett four lens design. So it is a little bit overstressed for F2.5 and might have larger zonal aberrations as usual. You can call this character, if you want.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
4. jupiter 11A/37A / tair 11A.
Now you're going to tell me these aren't f2.8...

tair 11 is f2.8 lens

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AE Conrady wrote:
The Tamron 2.5/135 (03B) is a split Triplett four lens design. So it is a little bit overstressed for F2.5 and might have larger zonal aberrations as usual. You can call this character, if you want.

Is this your own experience, or simply a (probably correct!) assumption?

I do own the nFD 2.8/135mm as well as a couple of Minolta 2.8/135mm lenses, but i don't know the Tamron 2.5/135mm.
Both the nFD and the best Minolta MC/MD 2.8/135mm (the [4/4] MC/MD design and the latest [5/5] MD design) have visible lateral CAs when stopped down (tested on 24MP FF). Wide open the CAs are less visible.

Konica has corrected their 2.5/135mm and 3.2/135mm lenses "the other way round": they have CAs wide open, but stopped down to f5.6 they are nearly gone, and the image is very good:
http://artaphot.ch/konica-ar/lens-tests/505-135mm-ar-hexanons-f25-f32-f35

Might be worth a consideration as well... Both lenses can be bought for <50 CHF/EUR/USD.

PS: The Konica 2.5/135mm is a [4/4] design as well.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: MF Lens kit? Choosing between 3 135mm 2.8's Reply with quote

bobcominitaly wrote:
Not too long ago I swapped my D600 for an A7 with several adapters. Now I'm getting somewhere at building a lens kit with the most current focal lengths - from 24 to 135mm. The last position isn't filled in yet - right now I have three options for max. € 100,-
1 Canon nFD 135mm 2.8
2.Minolta later tele rOKKOR MC (non PF) or MD - preferably MD first version
3.Tamron Adaptall-2 03b, 135mm, 2.5

Which one of the three should I prefer qua sharpness, color rendition and bokeh?

Out of the 3 listed lenses I only have the Minolta one. However, I have presently 10 different SLR and RF MF-lenses from Leitz/Nikon/Topcon RE and UV/Zeiss/KMZ/Voigtlander/Pentax M42 and PK/Minolta in 135mm focal length.

Out of curiosity I've done a quick comparison for infinity landscape at different apertures.

To make a long story short: As from F8 there is hardly any difference visible, not even in pixel peeping mode (100% view). Only at wider apertures up to fully open, which I would never use for that kind of photography, some differences are apparent (some lenses show traces of purple fringing or appear slightly softer).

So actually the criteria for selecting the right 135mm lens is more or less an issue of taste, depending on different bokeh rendering. At least as long as we talk about lenses from the major manufacturers.

Unfortunately I don't own any lens from a third party budget manufacturer, so I don't know whether this conclusion would be the same for those lenses.

Maybe I will do also some comparison for bokeh rendering later one, but that will take some time. Wink

For the time being I can only say that I like the bokeh rendering of my Minolta MD 135/2.8 very much. But that's only my personal taste. Your's may be different.
A classical dog portrait from this lens WO (among some other sample pictures from other members) is shown here: http://forum.mflenses.com/testing-minolta-md-tele-rokkor-135mm-2-8-t76738.html#1489173

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AE Conrady wrote:

I have heard here many times that there are no such thing as a bad 135mm lenses. Hmmm ... I don't know where this urban legend started. What I know is that lens manufacturers can make crap lenses in any focal length. Evil or Very Mad

"You can call this character, if you want." Laugh 1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald wrote:
I have heard here many times that there are no such thing as a bad 135mm lenses. Hmmm ... I don't know where this urban legend started. What I know is that lens manufacturers can make crap lenses in any focal length.

Gerald, that's certainly depending on your personal point of view and taste. We all know that there is no perfect, i.e. failure free lens in existence and I also know some manufacturers who are very famous in producing crap lenses in almost every focal length. Wink

Let me give you an example:

The Minolta MD 135/2.8 (4/4 variant) is certainly a very good lens and is able to deliver excellent pictures and (for my taste) a wonderful bokeh. However, if you decide to use this lens for landscape pictures at F2.8 then all of a sudden it reaches "crap status" and that has nothing to do with character. I've tried to "repair" the F2.8 infinity landscape picture of this lens in LR6 but there is nothing you can do to make it looking perfect. But at F8 it's among the best in this class (actually no visible difference to my beloved Leitz Elmar).
I'm rather sure that almost every lens has got it's weak point and it's important to know where it is as long as it offers at least one strong attribute. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 135mm Orestor, Tair 11A and Tamron 03b but I like the sharpness, bokeh and color rendering of the Jupiter 37A the most.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald wrote:
AE Conrady wrote:

I have heard here many times that there are no such thing as a bad 135mm lenses. Hmmm ... I don't know where this urban legend started. What I know is that lens manufacturers can make crap lenses in any focal length. Evil or Very Mad

"You can call this character, if you want." Laugh 1

I can confirm this assertion. I've owned several 135mm lenses rangefinder and SLR, from a wide range of manufacturers (generally because most 135s sell for low prices) and most all were good to excellent. Then I bought a Wirgar 4.5/135. Cute little thing but NOT a good lens to take pictures with.

As for a suggestion for a 135mm lens for shooting I can recommend the Auto Vivitar Telephoto, 2.8/135. (28XXXXXX serial not 22XXXXXX). Mine is a Konica Hexanon mount but others are available. Good, solid glass and metal construction, smooth operation, built in hood. For $20 it doesn't get much better.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my Vivitar 135mm close focusing......

Cost quite a bit more than $20 and not for sale.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yet again kryss - Mr. Green Wink

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laugh 1 Laugh 1 OK Edgar I promise not to flaunt it any more....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
This is my Vivitar 135mm close focusing......

Looks like dcshooter's custom handiwork . . .

Smile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually a gentleman on Pentax Forum,does excellent work CLA + chroming,anodizing and perfect lettering.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
Actually a gentleman on Pentax Forum,does excellent work CLA + chroming,anodizing and perfect lettering.

Yes indeed. I've dealt with dcshooter (for a lens repair and a CLA), and he does do excellent work, IMHO. I've never had him "customize" any of my lenses (yet), but I have seen some pics of some of his handsome "conversions" on the Pentax Forums before. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. A close focusing Vivitar is definitely out of my league - if it would be for sale at all. Wouldn't go for lesser brands like Focal, Paragon, Makinon, Hanimar or whatchamacallit. I've seen several 135mm 2.8 Komine Vivitar (for BIN prices up to €115) but I finally decided to go for the Adaptall-2 135mm 2.5. which is in the mail right now. It comes with a Nikon adapter (already have one), and can be a 135mm on my A7 as well as a 200 mm on my D7100. Same story with the 24mm 2.5 Adaptall- 2 I also ordered: 24mm on my A7, 36 on my D7100. Still looking for a nice Nikon-fit 50mm, hesitating between an Nikon E 50mm 1.8 and a Helios 81N 50mm 2.0, in order to cover standard / short tele on both camera's. Together with the Tamron Adaptall 90mm 2.5 which I'm getting shortly I have most common focal lengths covered now in Nikon mount.

Still having a couple of old FD breechlock and nFD mount lenses which I cant part with because I like the way they shoot: 24mm 2.8 FD, FL 50mm 1.4, nFD 50mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8. Plus some -2 Helioses, a 30mm 3,5 Pentacon and a 135mm 2.8 Pentacon with 15 blades and no contrast. Since I don't collect lenses for other reasons than to use them (as a hobby photographer), I still have to decide which ones will be keepers and which ones may go on a new adventure in their optical lives. Comments on this setup are more than welcome!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will like the Tamron 90mm f2.5 will you be getting the matching 1-1 18b adapter?