Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Testing Minolta MD Tele Rokkor 135mm/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Testing Minolta MD Tele Rokkor 135mm/2.8 Reply with quote

This lens makes my collection of affordable to mildly expensive Minolta MD (Rokkor) lenses nearly complete. Smile Now mostly just the expensive to insanely expensive stuff missing, which I won't be getting any time soon.

The lens itself:

Minolta MD Tele Rokkor 135mm/2.8 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

It's the MD-II type, 4/4 version which seems to be marginally more appreciated on the internet than the newer 5/5 formula. It's a bit on the heavy side but it's a good lens in all respects if not exactly outstanding. Certainly better than the 135/3.5 plain MD but I think not as good as the Carl Zeiss Jena 135/3.5 that I also have. Anyway, a few samples from a short walk today (click each photo for proper size, the reduced size gets overcompressed by flickr):

NEX6_0003_6419 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

NEX6_0003_6424 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

NEX6_0003_6434 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

NEX6_0003_6447 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

NEX6_0003_6456 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

NEX6_0003_6458 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

There's a few more in the album: https://flic.kr/s/aHskNiS2fd

Last edited by miran on Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice captures, it is also great for portraits.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badr12 wrote:
Nice captures, it is also great for portraits.

Thanks! I'll try to find some... statues. Razz Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! I have the latest 5/5 version which I like as it is very light and discrete. Also happy with result

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice pictures, it's obviously a very good lens. Which is annoying......because my copy sits on the shelf unused, I can't find any sharpness in it at all. It must be faulty. Sad

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice examples and a good lens!

I have exactly the same heavy Version (MD II, 4/4). Maybe I should use it as well. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 3.5 and same, have not really used it. best get onto that. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. Yes, it seems to be quite good, if only it was smaller and lighter. I think I'll try to get the 5/5 to see if it is as good.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did a quick comparison between this lens (made 1978) and my Leitz Elmar 135mm/F4 (made 1961), which is a comparable optical design (4/4) but only single coated and was rather shocked:
Below F8 the Minolta lens is rather crappy compared to the Elmar at F4. From F8 the MD starts to be usable whereas the Elmar plays definitely in another league. Maybe it's one of the best 135mm lenses ever. Leitz claimed in 1964 in their catalog that the Elmar is "one of the sharpest lenses ever created."

To summarize: The Minolta MD 135mm/F2.8 is a nice lens and delivers good and sharp pictures, particularly as from F8 (F5.6 seems to be somehow acceptable). However, there are far better lenses around, especially the Leitz Elmar 135mm/F4.

I will do some more tests in this focal length to find out how the Minolta lens compares to other brands like Voigtlander (Rollei), Pentax, Topcon, etc.

I am really curios to check whether the Minolta lens is rather mediocre or the Leitz lens is really that outstanding. For the time being I will put the MD 135mm back to the shelf until further. Wink

BTW, I did this comparison in 100% view on infinity distance pictures ("pixel peepers delight"). Smaller display sizes will deliver far better and still commonly usable results.

Example picture of the MD 135/2.8 fully open of my standard portrait model:

Not bad at all and more than just usable I would say.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good! Like 1 small

I have one of these. I think it's pretty good. Maybe not eye-bleeding sharp, but sharp wide open. Definitely sharp at f/3.5.

Here is one wide open (unfortunately not unprocessed, but not heavily so):

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small Like 1 small

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a quick comparison of three 135mm lenses: this Minolta MD 135/2.8, a Minolta MD 135/3.5 and a Carl Zeiss Jena 135/3.5 (zebra). It's my standard test with one scene at near MFD, one at near infinity and one at around 6-7m. Two shots for each scene, one wide open and one stopped down to f/8. Raw with straight conversion, identical WB, etc.

First is the full scene to give broad impression, second is 100% crop of focused area. Unfortunately the weather was quite foggy so infinity sharpness is affected. And of course no shooting into the sun to test flare resistance this time. Shot on crop camera (NEX6) and no corner sharpness test.

1. near MFD (just over 1.5m)

2. around 6 or 7m

3. infinity (around 100m)

The CZJ might be stopped down to f/5.6 by mistake rather than f/8 but I'm not sure. I thought I had it at f/8 but bokeh and exposure data say otherwise. Will have to check.

Conclusions:
- The 135/3.5 MD is clearly inferior. Softer wide open and it visibly vignettes (on APS-C!) Also it render considerably cooler colours.
- The 135/2.8 MD and the CZJ are about the same in terms of sharpness (though my focusing skill might play a part here) but the Minolta has chromatic aberations where the CZJ hasn't. The CZJ has noticably warmer colours.

From this simple test the CZJ is the winner. It also focuses down to 1m rather than 1.5. On the other hand my copy is pretty beat up and in any case the Minoltas are both mechanically superior (better focus action, nicer aperture ring, built-in hood). Difficult to decide and also I'll need to test for corner sharpness, contrast shooting into the light, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a little bit unfair to compare the lenses WO. If you stop down the MD 2.8 at f4 it is much contrastier and most of the CA are gone.
It is nevertheless quite usable at 2.8.
Mine has been cleaned and relubed and it is a very good lens, really sharp with my A7.
PS : I am not very impressed by the picture at f8 of the rabbit eye.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theme up - one another review of Minolta MC Rokkor-PF 135mm 1:2.8
(I'll update the post when comparisons with other Minolta 135mm published)

As promised:
Comparison of Minolta MC Rokkor 135mm F2.8 vs MC 135mm F3.5 vs MD 135mm F2.8