Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

MF lens for nikon mount (except the Nikon lens)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:42 am    Post subject: MF lens for nikon mount (except the Nikon lens) Reply with quote

Dear

I'm a pioneer in MF lens. I'm using Nikon DSLR and SLR, D200 and FE2.
I really like the quality of MF lens especially Nikon lens. But the weak point of Nikon lens that some are quite expensive. So I try to looking for the 3'rd brand of MF lens that suit with Nikon mount, without adapter.
So if anyone have any 3'rd brand, russian, korea, japan or german lens. Please kinly advise me.

I'm looking for 180 f2.8 in the moment. Nikon 180 f2.8 is the good one but it's quite expensive. Are there the other brand of this range.

Thank you very much. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When using a Nikon DSLR ... your choice of lens mounts is limited.

However, there are many third-party brands which make/made lenses with a Nikon mount, like Tokina, Tamron, Sigma, ...

What budget do you have in mind?

By the way ... WELCOME!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Nikon mount, you have some of the best Manual Focus lenses ever made... the Nikkors!
And, they come cheap also - actually along with some Russian lenses, old Nikkors are probably the MF lenses with the best used price/quality ratio available.
Some suggestions from me (all lenses that I personally tried):

- 50mm f/1.4
- 50mm f/1.8
- 35mm f/2
- 20mm f/3.5
- 85mm f/1.8
- 105mm f/2.5
- 135mm f/3.5

Search for the site of Bjorn Roerslett, he has lots of useful information for choosing old manual Nikkors.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
For Nikon mount, you have some of the best Manual Focus lenses ever made... the Nikkors!
And, they come cheap also - actually along with some Russian lenses, old Nikkors are probably the MF lenses with the best used price/quality ratio available.
Some suggestions from me (all lenses that I personally tried):

- 50mm f/1.4
- 50mm f/1.8
- 35mm f/2
- 20mm f/3.5
- 85mm f/1.8
- 105mm f/2.5
- 135mm f/3.5

Search for the site of Bjorn Roerslett, he has lots of useful information for choosing old manual Nikkors.

http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html for BJ

The Arsenal factory in Kiev produced a series of lens for the Kiev 19 SLR which has an F mount. Examples include Arsat H(N) 2.8/21, Mir 24 H(N) 2/35, Kaleinar 5 2.8/100 and Telear H(N) 3.5/200. Mounts are Ai(s). These lenses appear to becoming increasingly rare and may not be cheaper than the corresponding Nikons/Nikkors.

Nikon produced a series of lenses called the E series - E for ECONOMY supposedly. They are supposed not to be as good as the Nikkors - Nikon did not give them that name. Yet some, such as the E 2.8/100 and the 70-150 Zoom, have a good reputation.

Vivitar commissioned a number of lenses in Nikon Ai mount. A number of different manufacturers were used. Those made by Kiron (Serial number beginning with 22) and Komine (28) are supposed to be particularly good. Examples include various zooms and 28mm wideangles.

A "one off" is the Russian KMZ Zenitar N 2.8/16 a circular fisheye in Nikon mount.

And of course Tamron Adaptall lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: MF lens for nikon mount (except the Nikon lens) Reply with quote

Pioneer wrote:
Dear

I'm a pioneer in MF lens. I'm using Nikon DSLR and SLR, D200 and FE2.
I really like the quality of MF lens especially Nikon lens. But the weak point of Nikon lens that some are quite expensive. So I try to looking for the 3'rd brand of MF lens that suit with Nikon mount, without adapter.
So if anyone have any 3'rd brand, russian, korea, japan or german lens. Please kinly advise me.

I'm looking for 180 f2.8 in the moment. Nikon 180 f2.8 is the good one but it's quite expensive. Are there the other brand of this range.

Thank you very much. Rolling Eyes

Welcome!

Compare lens prices for your D200 body or to AF lenses and you will see how cheap they are.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two f4/200mm Nikkor-Q in converted to AI mount sitting around, so you can have one cheap. Works perfectly on my D200

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Dear,

I'm really surprise for your welcome all. Thank you for all.
I intend to looking for all lens Nikkor or Nikon on the first time while I hold my camera until I try to find 180 f2.8 Nikon. This lens is one of legend in Nikon lens, but cost is quite expensive so I try to find the other brand which cheaper but adequate in quality.

My point is resonable in price and good in quality.

I will try to serch in eBay as your recommendation.
Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Thank you Reply with quote

Pioneer wrote:
Dear,

I'm really surprise for your welcome all. Thank you for all.
I intend to looking for all lens Nikkor or Nikon on the first time while I hold my camera until I try to find 180 f2.8 Nikon. This lens is one of legend in Nikon lens, but cost is quite expensive so I try to find the other brand which cheaper but adequate in quality.

My point is resonable in price and good in quality.

I will try to serch in eBay as your recommendation.
Thanks.

I have a Nikkor 180 f/2.8 ED lens (not for sale), and I can tell you that this lens IS worth the search for one! Good luck, and welcome to MF Lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard!

There are some great non-Nikkor lenses for Nikon-F-mount.

Let me give you my personal top list:
(I have left out the new Zeiss line. They are great but really expensive!)

Primes:
- Tamron 2.5/24 BBAR MC 01B (Adaptall-2, adaptable to F-mount)
- Helios-81N 2.0/50
- MC Kaleinar-5N 2.8/100
- Tamron MC 2.5/135 Close Focus 03B (Adaptall-2, adaptable to F-mount)
- Jupiter 37-A 3.5/135 (You can change to M42-mount to F-mount with the right rear part.)
- Telear-N 3.5/200 (This lens is a gem!)

Zooms:
- Tokina SZ-X 4-5.3/28-105 SD (A good lens that you can find for little money!)
- Soligor C/D Zoom+Macro 3.8-5.3/35-200 MC (A real positive surprise! Fantastic!)
- Soligor MC 3.5/70-220 Macro (My best tele zoom lens! Even better than the Tamrons!)
- Tamron SP 3.8-5.4/60-300 MC 23A (Adaptall-2, adaptable to F-mount)
- Tamron SP 3.5/70-210 CF Macro MC 19AH (Adaptall-2, adaptable to F-mount)
- Soligor C/D Zoom+Macro 3.8-4.8/75-205 MC (not bad but not in the same league as the three above)
- Tamron 3.8-4/70-210 Macro 46A (Adaptall-2, adaptable to F-mount)(see Soligor 75-205)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best 180mm f/2.8 is probably the Nikkor AIS 180mm f/2.8 ED. Shop around, the prices are 250-400 euro but sometimes one shows up at a lower price. I'm not aware of a third party one with similar specification.

Moving down in price and also portability, the Nikkor AI or AIS 135mm f/2.8 can be had for quite a bit less, has the same aperture with a bit less reach. An alternative, possibly of better quality, is the Steinheil Quinar 135mm f/2.8 in Nikon F mount.

AIS, AI, or Nikkor-P.C 105mm f/2.5 is a classic lens and still tends to be fairly inexpensive, though prices are rising. Make sure you get the P.C version or, if its the P version, black nose rather than silver nose (change in optical formulation). Around 75-140 euro.

The Arsenal Mir-24N is a nice 35mm f/2 Nikon-mount Ukranian lens, originally for the Kiev-20 F-mount camera. Around 60-100 euro.

For 28mm, the Nikkor AIS 28mm f/2.8 is great value (about 140 euro) and very high quality. The AI version, or the 28mm f/3.5 versions, are available for quite a bit less (50-90 euro)

Below 20mm the choices become scarce, the prices high, and the quality not so good; realistically a modern DX zoom is the best bet for the 10-20mm range. These are not cheap, around 500 euro.

Welcome to MF lenses forum!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
I have two f4/200mm Nikkor-Q in converted to AI mount sitting around, so you can have one cheap. Works perfectly on my D200

I strongly suggest you take this lens, nice lens and price is very reasonable.

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/nikon_nikkor/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may find it odd that you ask about nn-Nikkor alternatives (to save money) and people respond with Nikkor suggestions. But often, and specifically for the focal length and aperture you asked about (180mm f/2.8) the Nikkor is the least expensive alternative.

here for example is the Nikon-mount Angenieux DEM APO 180mm f/2.3
Click here to see on Ebay
at 2,000 USD

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here is the Leica APO Elmarit-R 180mm f/2.8, usable on Nikon with a Leitax mount conversion (but only in stop-down metering mode)

Click here to see on Ebay.de
at 1,499 euro

so 300 euro for Nikkor AIS 180m f/2.8 ED is significantly less expensive than third-party alternatives.

The route to lower prices than that is to look at f/4 lenses rather than f/2.8 for this focal length.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhat rare, and probably not a whole lot cheaper than the Nikkor 180/2.8 ED is the Tamron 180/2.5 LD. I see one every once in a while on eBay, whereas the Nikkor 180s, both early and ED, are much more common there.

http://www.adaptall-2.com/lenses/63B.html

Given my experience with other Tamron optics, I would not hesitate to pick up the Tamron 180/2.5 LD if a situation arose at a price I could afford.

Best,

Michael

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:36 am    Post subject: Thank you again. Reply with quote

In my idea, I believe that the man behind the lens is the main factor to do the great picture. Lens is only a factor to help man easy to do.
My point that I really need to be a man who can take a great picture from the cheapest lens, I mean optimum cost.
Some cheapest lens can not take a good picture i.e. contrast may not fine etc.

I would like to know your experience for the best lens with less cost.
Actually, I have budget around 200-300 US. to find TELE lens (135-200). But I appreciate to pay as minimum and will pay for the others. Furthermore, I dont want to use adapter due to I'm not quite sure about the constraint of connection and mirror inside.

I prefer to find the lens with Nikon mount only.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:
You may find it odd that you ask about nn-Nikkor alternatives (to save money) and people respond with Nikkor suggestions. But often, and specifically for the focal length and aperture you asked about (180mm f/2.Cool the Nikkor is the least expensive alternative.

Least expensive and quite often also the best, or amongst the best. So why not consider Nikkors? I bought many myself even if I use Canon DSLRs.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took this shot this morning with the EOS 5DII and the AI(S) Nikkor 2.5/105, using obviously an adapter. Photo taken at 320 ISO:

The colours are absolutely true to life.
I paid for this lens 50.000 lire in the 80s (the equivalent of 25 Euros with today's change) at the time when all Nikon users were giving away
their manual lenses for nothing in order to buy autofocus.
Today, you will likely have to spend more, but if you're patient, you may found a copy of this lens for about 100 Euros or little more.
And you will not find a non-Nikkor lens that performs significantly better than this lens, even for 5 times the price.

-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 sample:

Nikon D90, Nikkor-P 105mm f/2.5 Ai'ed @ ISO 200, f/4, 1/640s

Mine was 51 euro, but I was lucky.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Somewhat rare, and probably not a whole lot cheaper than the Nikkor 180/2.8 ED is the Tamron 180/2.5 LD. I see one every once in a while on eBay, whereas the Nikkor 180s, both early and ED, are much more common there.

http://www.adaptall-2.com/lenses/63B.html

Given my experience with other Tamron optics, I would not hesitate to pick up the Tamron 180/2.5 LD if a situation arose at a price I could afford.

The Tamron seems to have the edge in resolution and contrast at f/5.6 and f/8. I wasn't previously aware of that Tamron, thanks for pointing it out.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow terrific sample Chris!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:52 am    Post subject: 105 f2.5 Reply with quote

Dear,

Fortunately, I have a 105 f2.5 AIS (Gauss design). I really love this lens. But sometime it's not serve my requirement if object is too far...

Anyway, I absolutely love this lens as well.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you add a list of the lenses that you already have? It would be easier to advise you. You will see that many of us list our lenses in the signature.

For example we would stop advising you to get a 105/2.5 as you already have one Smile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that a nikon lenses are, not all perhaps but some of them, something cold. I prefer the zeiss colors.

Not Leica M nor zeiss but nikon is always first class of course, it's only a subtle difference.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
It seems to me that a nikon lenses are, not all perhaps but some of them, something cold. I prefer the zeiss colors.

Thats interesting, since to me both the Nikon and Voigtänder colours seem similar (clear, slightly warm, but not Sigma warm) while the Zeiss colours seem to give everything a cool blue-grey wash.

I wonder how we can come to such opposite conclusions regarding the colours.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my own experience:

- old nikkors: slightly warm (in some cases decidedly warm)
- zeiss jena: a bit warm (but less than nikkors)
- zeiss contax: neutral
- leica R: slightly cool (greenish)