Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Medium Format on the cheap
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Medium Format on the cheap Reply with quote

Damn, just won this Click here to see on Ebay Surprised
- I was surprised at winning it, expecting it to go higher.
Just as well I already have a couple of Med F lenses to go with it. Reading about the P6, I look forward to irregular frame-spacing, jammed shutters and erratic rewinds Confused

It'll be like a Great Leap Backwards, but there's something about old 120 film that's always pulled at me. I hope it remains in production for a few years yet.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks a very good price!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, I what medium format as well Smile

Looking forward to see some test scans.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Medium Format on the cheap Reply with quote

Nice buy Dave! Looking forward to seeing some great Irish pics in due course.

I found a very helpful article about the overlapping/rewind problem with the P6, and how to avoid it. I'm sure I bookmarked it but I can't see it straight off. I'll post it later.

Farside wrote:
there's something about old 120 film that's always pulled at me. I hope it remains in production for a few years yet.

I don't think there's much danger of it fading out, there's a whole world of expensive medium format cameras still using it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all.
The main reason I bought this was to get some high quality scans of things around the country here. Until a 20MB FF digital cam is down to a used value of around €3~400 this is the best way of achieving it. Sure it's slower and more expensive, but I'll be picking shots with care and not throwing money away. The 10D will still be the workhorse for most purposes, but if something turns up that really deserves a larger, high quality pic, the P6 will be dragged out.

@peterqd - I've found articles on pentaconsix.com and baierfoto.de about the winding and spacing - hopefully they'll solve the problem.
http://www.baierfoto.de/transportengl.html
http://www.pentaconsix.com/spacing.htm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave - yep, the second link is the site I meant, but not that page.
Here it is:
http://www.pentaconsix.com/Loading.htm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave! I've seen some wonderful production out of Pentacon 6 cameras! The BIG transparencies and negatives are a joy!

A camera club friend uses his ALL the time. He has a Canon DSLR, and has basically "abandoned" it in favor of his Pentacon 6. Shocked

Which lenses do you have?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
Dave! I've seen some wonderful production out of Pentacon 6 cameras! The BIG transparencies and negatives are a joy!

A camera club friend uses his ALL the time. He has a Canon DSLR, and has basically "abandoned" it in favor of his Pentacon 6. Shocked

It's transparency I intend to use it for, more than anything else - I don't see the point of negs any more. A simple one-stage process at the labs and I can scan the trannies to digital myself. If I want monochrome, I can convert on PC.

Quote:
Which lenses do you have?

I've got the Mir 38B 65/3.5 in P6 and a Volna-3 80/2.8 in K88 screw (need P6 adapter).
When I bought them I had no inkling I'd be buying a P6 Surprised , but it seemed natural to use them and it meant I could look for a body only. So, it's a start.
Of course, GAS will kick in now and I must have a pentaprism - I'm not all that keen on the standard finder, but I'll have to get used to it for a while. I now must upgrade my scanner - it was getting a bit past it anyway.

I nearly bought a Pentax 6x7, but it was a bit knackered and the price of lenses was silly - that was really what directed me back to the P6 with all its faults. I can keep it in good order and doing a CLA on it shouldn't be all that difficult.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,
Congratulations!. Looks very nice. I love the aesthetics of those old designs.

It looks like all of us follow the same path:

First, digital camera to replace the old film technology.
After some time, MF lenses to get better quality and more fun.
Later on, back to 35mm film. Rangefinders and SLRs. lots of fun.
Next, medium format...

I also did a crazy bid for a Yashica Mat, and nobody else overbid me, so I got it at a quite reasonable price: Click here to see on Ebay. Trusty seller with a score over 800 and 100% positives. He says it's in good useage.

So, expecting to receive it in a week or so. Shipments from the United Kingdom use to be blazingly fast. Smile.

I've been told from the local colleagues where to find 120 film and a lab that does a decent process at affordable rates.

So, let me ask a question to be ready: What should be next? Wink

Jes.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
David,
Congratulations!. Looks very nice. I love the aesthetics of those old designs.

It looks like all of us follow the same path:

First, digital camera to replace the old film technology.
After some time, MF lenses to get better quality and more fun.
Later on, back to 35mm film. Rangefinders and SLRs. lots of fun.
Next, medium format...

Heh, so much for the Digital Revolution. The Luddites are back!

Quote:
I also did a crazy bid for a Yashica Mat, and nobody else overbid me, so I got it at a quite reasonable price: Click here to see on Ebay.

I had a look at one of them earlier and nearly went for it. On balance, I decided an SLR layout was better for me.

Quote:
I've been told from the local colleagues where to find 120 film and a lab that does a decent process at affordable rates.

That's something I'm going to have to sort out - I doubt I'll find someone locally and will probably have to do it by mail.

Quote:
So, let me ask a question to be ready: What should be next? Wink

Jes.

Why, LF, of course! Smile A whole new world awaits.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote: If I want monochrome, I can convert on PC.
That's for sure! And, of course you could get black and white slides at dr5 labs. They scan so nicely!

Dave wrote: I've got the Mir 38B 65/3.5 in P6 and a Volna-3 80/2.8 in K88 screw (need P6 adapter).
The Mir38B 65/3.5 is used by Tom (my friend with the Pentacon 6). It was interesting, in that somehow it had a "reputation" of being not so good. But, it goes to show that all that web crap can really be misleading. Tom bought one with the intention of "trying it out". And of course...you guessed it...it STAYS on his Pentacon 6 most of the time. He loves it for its semi-wide field of view.

Dave wrote: I now must upgrade my scanner - it was getting a bit past it anyway.
Of course, you must still try a scan on your current scanner. You might be surprised how well medium format does on a "less than top of the line" scanner.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jes wrote: I also did a crazy bid for a Yashica Mat, and nobody else overbid me, so I got it at a quite reasonable price: Click here to see on Ebay. Trusty seller with a score over 800 and 100% positives. He says it's in good useage.

NICE catch! It looks like a bit of dusting off, and you'll be in business! One of the all time great cameras, for sure! Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jes,
From what a friend of mine says that camera should be great - his Yashica TLR medium format is his pride and joy, especially with film available just a 40 minute drive away for him.