Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Medium format newb
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bob

You can always ship thrue me on USA or N. America only items. Please don't be shy to ask. Same for other core members.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Bronica ETRSi Reply with quote

I often see medium format camera's popping up on second hand trading places, but I have no idea what it might be worth and how much I should bid. How much would you pay for the following setup:

Bronica ETRSi (6x4.5)
50mm f/2.8
75mm f/2.8
150mm f/4
+ hoods

I don't know the lens brands.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi photmachi that would be worth at least Ł200 if all working, possibly more. the lenses them selves go for over Ł50 each body about Ł70 plus the film back etc....

I have dipped my toe by getting a Zeiss nettar, Click here to see on Ebay for a little toy to get my eye in, who knows maybe it will make me decide either to buy further into it or put me off all together!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I placed a bid of 160 euro somewhere, planning not to go higher than 200 euro, but then I though: why... I have too many auctions running Laughing I see the Bronica's appearing regularly, so maybe next time.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hacksawbob wrote:
Thanks for the link farside and the quick reply Rick.

I found another useful one - http://tinyurl.com/2mahyn (tinyurl'd to keep the window narrow)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple of pictures from my ikoflex, which I still recommend. I think if your looking for characteristic shots than this is the way to go. I always seem to see the same shots coming out of the yashicas and the like - not to say they are bad (in fact they are sometimes great) but they don't quite have the 'character' of the german ones.

Just thought I would share
~Marc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like both of these.
First one has great pose and composition, expressive model - too bad for the exposure on the legs and a bit disturbing bokeh.
Second one a very nice capture!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Marc
I am impressed by this portrait.
24x36 look so flat in comparison of this b&w MF
the model and the stone wall pop out the photo
one of the rare shot who magnetize me
I cannot find anything bad about this shot
Just perfection

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Orio. Although, there is a good oportunity with this portrait. A preflash to the paper and local burning could bring down the hightones and bring the model forward. I think you can afford half a zone or maybe a bit more and still keep her face soft. It is a nice capture nonetheless. You take some really nice shots Marc. Bring us some more Smile

Andy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that the portraits brighter highlights have been a little blown out of proportion by my scanner. Though in the original shot her legs are somewhat over-exposed they are not quite as bad as they are here.

I also rather like the bokeh. Though it seems that the swirling oof is not a favorite in many places; I think it adds to the atmosphere and drama of the photo. She, to me, looks to be in deep thought. The turbulent backround surrounding her could reflect some of this.

Thanks
~Marc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
I have to say that the portraits brighter highlights have been a little blown out of proportion by my scanner. Though in the original shot her legs are somewhat over-exposed they are not quite as bad as they are here.

I also rather like the bokeh. Though it seems that the swirling oof is not a favorite in many places; I think it adds to the atmosphere and drama of the photo. She, to me, looks to be in deep thought. The turbulent backround surrounding her could reflect some of this.

Thanks
~Marc

I really like the first shot, and yes the bokeh suits the shot perfectly.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:

A nice shot Smile The scan isn't hopeless in the least, and even the JPEG has a lot of potential for post-processing. My home CRT is in a bad shape, and I cannot judge the contrast very exactly, but anyway, here is a quick try to bring out the buried detail:

The result will vary depending on the screen it is viewed on -- the curse of on-line viewing, the only way to guarantee the result is to fix it as a print -- but it might give an idea of the leeway you have got, from the original to this point and even further on. Of course, the character of the photo may change, will change, even her expression may subtly change, but that's a part of the art of photography, the most important part, perhaps, often a necessary step from a snapshot to a photograph.

Veijo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
24x36 look so flat in comparison of this b&w MF
the model and the stone wall pop out the photo

A 24x36 or even a photo taken with a crop dSLR can pop similarly, everything depends on the DOF and the relationship between the foreground and the background. The only cameras which perhaps are almost hopeless in this respect are the small sensor digicams. To show that a crop camera photo can pop, here is a photo taken with the old 4.5/105 Radionar on 350D:

The Radionar is slow, and consequently it isn't possible to have a very soft background, but on the other hand the bokeh will be much better as it isn't destroyed by too large an aperture -- for a good bokeh the aperture ought to be small enough.

Veijo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks vilva, this is a great 3D sample
this 70 year old Radionar is at least impressive
it certainly helped Schneider to became a legend
http://galactinus.net/vilva/retro/eos350d_radionar.html

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the opportunity for a Kowa 6 with a 80mm f2.8 lens for Ł60, I have done the usual Googleing and it seems a pretty good system, anyone here got any more knowledge on this one?