Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mamiya C3 - advice welcome
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMAX 400 is a great film to start with, was my first one to dev. Make sure to leave in fixer a good 10 minutes,
though.

Congrats, Olivier! Smile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx Bill.

Is it better to choose 400 asa ?

What about Tri-X 400, Ilford HP5 or FP4 or Delta 400, Fuji Neopan ?

Lloydy, on Amazon uk 15£ free delivery UK for 5x400TMax.
I just bought a pack of 5x400TMax for 25.21€ delivery included on amazon fr.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
Thx Bill.

Is it better to choose 400 asa ?

What about Tri-X 400, Ilford HP5 or FP4 or Delta 400, Fuji Neopan ?

Olivier, depends on if you have sunny days or cloudy days. TriX is versatile where you
can pull the film to 200 or push it to 1600, making it an ideal, all-around film to start
with--if doing your own developing. Ilford HP5/Delta plus Fuji Neopan can be pushed
as well.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of questions -

The 65mm lens comes with a square lens in a frame with two keyhole slots - I can see where the slots can fit onto the outside cover of the flip up viewfinder shade. I've figured out the way you press the center and the magnifier pops out, I can see a square hole in the back plate of the viewfinder shade. Logic tells me that I put the lens on the pins, flip the magnifier up, somehow jam the flap open ?and then view through the small opening in the back shade ? But I have a strong feeling I'm missing something here......how the hell does this viewfinder ACTUALLY fit on the camera, and how is it used ?

Question two, again about the viewfinder. The main lid - that forms the front of the shade and holds the magnifier - seems to lean forward rather than go to a vertical position, so the magnifier when it's folded out isn't parallel to the matte screen. Should it be ? and if that's the case, how is it adjusted ?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit late on this thread. I bought a C330 a while ago and bought a 180mm lens for it. I've put a test roll through it to check my work on the light seals, but I'm not convinced about this TLR. It's a bit of a clunky beast.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Lloydy.

Here is the owner's manual (Thx to butkus.org).
I feel it should answer some of your questions.

http://www.cameramanuals.org/mamiya_pdf/mamiya_c3.pdf

In this pdf, some interesting answers and tips :
http://www.cameramanuals.org/mamiya_pdf/mamiya_c_guide.pdf

Here is the Mamiya owners manual page :
http://www.butkus.org/chinon/mamiya.htm

Last edited by Olivier on Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloyd, magnifier should be parallel to viewing screen, use some rubber bands to gather
all the hood plates if they are sagging.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My new old c3 arrived in a big beautiful suitcase.
C3 body, 80mm f2.8 lens, leather suit and a nice piece serving to mount it on a tripod (?).
There is a B&W Ilford FP4 Plus 125 film whose date is october 2003.

Everything is functional. Only one thing : the seals are almost all gone. There's no game and the back closes well but I ordered a complete seals kit.

Bill, have I to wait for them to arrive or may I test the C3 using the old Ilford B&W film ? Smile

I have received the kit of 5x 400TMax. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier, thanks for the links. I'd got the manual from Butkus, but the second link is excellent. Cool

Katasrofo, I think that's going to be the easy answer. I can see where the shroud has worn away against the stops and it would be a nightmare of tiny springs to take it apart and repair it, so the easy fix it is. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier, it if were me, I would shoot that roll! Smile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
A bit late on this thread. I bought a C330 a while ago and bought a 180mm lens for it. I've put a test roll through it to check my work on the light seals, but I'm not convinced about this TLR. It's a bit of a clunky beast.

waiting for your test images , Martin !
I'm a little interessed in squares and Mamyias too Smile
but haven't seen Olivier's tests ,yet !

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after I received the parcel some days ago, I found some time to post pictures about this huge cam.
Here they are : http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1254741.html#1254741

For 100€ euros, delivery included, I got this Mamiya C3 with its pouch, in its original huge case "Mamiya C Professional", with a Sekor 80mm f2.8 with its case, depth of field tables.

After I'll have done some cleaning, dust removal and change the seals, I'll shoot some rolls... Very Happy

I still can't believe I got all that for this price. Embarassed

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got to use my C3 today, I got messed around by Bristol Cameras saying on their web site that certain films were in stock - they weren't, so I won't be using them again.
Then, when we went to the Lake District and Ian and I went for a play with cameras and lenses one day and I put two films in the C3 and instead of the winder turning a little way and stopping when I loaded, it kept turning until all the film was on the other spool Twisted Evil I've got an old film that I practiced with and that worked perfectly Confused So we used Ians Mamiyaflex instead.
Once I got home and the rest of the film arrived I tried again and it loaded just fine. So today I ran off a few frames. I'll finish it tomorrow.

I love using this camera, even after a few frames. Cool

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yours is much nicer than mine, really nice condition, mine is rough but still works lovely, I have wanted one ever since I tried the one I relayed to Attila, just such a great experience to use, the finder is so bright and focus is a joy with the big aluminium knob and very matte screen.

Very glad yours is co-operating, it was just having one of those days, typical! Sad

The lever wind on yours is a big improvement over the knob and little lever you have to remember to press first on my older camera.

The 80mm lens I have is older than yours too, at least the coatings are different, mine are pale gold. Attila's had the later blue dot version and that was a very good performer with the roll of expired Provia 100 I shot with it. (converted to BW with Silverfx as it had a magenta colour cast due to poor storage.)

I'll have to develop the roll David and I shot asap, it was fun:

Last edited by iangreenhalgh1 on Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look forward your shoots David, stunning camera , enjoy!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:

Can you get Radio 4 on that?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:

Can you get Radio 4 on that?

I don't think so.

But maybe Radio Caroline. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That stiff cable release nearly had my out more than once, I've put a longer and more flexible on in the case now. Rolling Eyes

I'm sure Ian's used some ninja photoshop skills to give me a bald patch ! Laughing