Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mamiya 645J
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Mamiya 645J Reply with quote

It finally arrived, in cracking condition - many thanks to Seymore for relaying it on to me.
Once again, the condition of this shows how conservative KEH's ratings are. The cam was rated as Bargain, when there's really nothing wrong with it at all; the prism was an Ugly one and the silver is showing a slight blistering from one prism face - I reckon I can fix it, but even if I can't the price of it makes it a worthwhile gamble - 8 dollars.
What I need now is a battery - and I discovered the battery needed for it can be made up from 4 of the SR44 silver cells which I need for the other cams anyway, so I'll buy a 10 pack of them.

I'm now waiting impatiently for a P6->M645 lens adapter from grizzlybear - ye gods the post from Ukraine is slow.

You can just make out the area of the prism that's banjaxed - the frosty looking bit.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great deal and yes, Grizzly bear is slow sometimes, or maybe it's just the mail. I just spoke with someone who waited 45 days to get a MIR 37 from him.

Jules

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, Dave, hope everything works out OK.

Bill

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Dave!

Settle in and wait on the postman. It took 5 weeks for me to get my P6 to Nikon adapter, but apparently it was returned once with a damaged label.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grizzlybear's package finally arrived, so resplendant with a couple of P6 lenses, here it is...

First, M645J and MIR 38B, looks as if it means business...

Next, with Flek 50/4. This lens just looks so right. I think this one will be on it a lot.

Still waiting for a battery, then I'll be in business.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! really impressive!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Dave, congrats! Looks like a VERY nice piece of kit!

Bill

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh Dave you will love it. I have the 645 AFD and a couple of questions for you.
What were the lenses originally for? (Pentacon, Bronica? Or . . ?) What adapter are you using?

I have been using the Mamiya lenses on other cameras but haven't yet used other lenses on the Mamiya body and would like to give it a go.

Thanks much.

Jules

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all, I shall give it a workout with some cheapy b&w first, just to check it out for leaks, and any defects.

lulalake wrote:
Ahh Dave you will love it. I have the 645 AFD and a couple of questions for you.
What were the lenses originally for? (Pentacon, Bronica? Or . . ?) What adapter are you using?

I have been using the Mamiya lenses on other cameras but haven't yet used other lenses on the Mamiya body and would like to give it a go.

Thanks much.

Jules

They're both P6, using an adapter from ebay seller grizzly33bear http://photography.search.ebay.co.uk/_Film-Camera-Accessories_W0QQcatrefZC12QQsacatZ43478QQsassZgrizzly33bear
She doesn't have any listed at the moment, but keep an eye on the listings or ask her - I'm fairly sure one will be there soon and she will have some in stock. The adapter is ok quality so far, but I've only had it a day and it's not had any real use. It was about 20quid or so, so excellent value if it lasts.
(edit) Just had a close look and it's a bit Brand X - no sign of a maker's name anywhere, but it might be a Jolos...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cor, that looks a wonderful camera and set of lenses Dave! Well done for putting it all together - I bet you can't wait for the batteries.

So Grizzly is a Mummy Bear! I knew the real name is Zhanna, but it never occurred to me it was a lady.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Cor, that looks a wonderful camera and set of lenses Dave! Well done for putting it all together - I bet you can't wait for the batteries.

Aye, it's a dead loss trying to find classic camera batteries locally - I've a need for the SR44 cells anyway and the M645 battery is just four of them in a tube, so I'm getting a batch from 7dayshop.

Quote:

So Grizzly is a Mummy Bear! I knew the real name is Zhanna, but it never occurred to me it was a lady.

Hah! I'm just going by her being referred to as 'she' previously. I might be wrong. If so, apologies to any blokes called Zhanna out there. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think this is she?
http://ra.2mcl.com/wallpaper-big/girls_2-Zhanna-Friske-28.html

I might give up buying from anyone else!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Do you think this is she?
http://ra.2mcl.com/wallpaper-big/girls_2-Zhanna-Friske-28.html

I might give up buying from anyone else!

Laughing Very Happy If only... still, you never know.
On the battery front - I rolled up 5 zinc-air cells in a tube to give 7V and powered up the 645 - tomorrow I'll try it out. An extra volt won't do any harm and there's no meter to affect.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went out on the bicycle locally and, after my knees had stopped shaking and I'd had a fag, I shot off half a roll using the MIR38B. This camera handles very nicely and I think the upscale models will be nice to have too. In fact, the grungy old prism works quite well, and I was forced to use Sunny16 as I'd totally forgotten to take a meter.
I'll finish off the roll next week and see how they turn out, and assuming no leaks or shutter faults I think I'm going to like this camera.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave and Bob, you guys are starting to piss me off with your fancy Mamiya
cameras! Laughing

Hope to see some jawdroppers real soon!

Bill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Dave and Bob, you guys are starting to piss me off with your fancy Mamiya
cameras! Laughing

Hope to see some jawdroppers real soon!

Bill

Haha. Fancy, schmancy - I always fancied one, but hadn't realised they'd got so cheap. 64dollars, I mean, sixty four dollars Shocked Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got the first roll back.

All shots with Flek 50. I noticed a little bit of shake in some of them, but the exposures aren't too bad and the Flek being stuck at f4 didn't help.

100% crop unsharpened

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow,
mine is still waiting for battery....
After seing your shots, I start feeling urgency Smile

Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm seeing some BEAUTIFUL work there already!

Re: the adapter: my adapter for the Pentax 645 is probably the same one. Be careful though - don't screw it on very tight - in fact just "finger tight" is best....it is a softer metal and can "weld" itself to the body.

Larry

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys.
Film was Fuji CN 400 Pro, by the way.
I'm not too happy yet with the scanning quality - these are produced by a lightbox turned upside down on the scanner bed and scanned as a reflective object - the stupid scanner software won't recognise any film bigger than 35mm. There's a definite lack of range there and the Flek had no shade, so that didn't help contrast to start with.

Jes, I just used 5 hearing-aid cells in a cardboard tube; gives it a nominal 7V instead of 6, and it works fine. I'm not sure if the slight overvoltage will affect shutter speed - it doesn't seem to.

Larry, I've been nearly caught by this adapter a couple of times when I forget which way it comes off and stupidly tighten it further - last time I had to get a set of leather grips on it. Rolling Eyes
Now I have it drummed into my head - when I'm facing the camera the ring turns anti-clockwise to loosen.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a serious looking camera with those lenses stuck on it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, over here we call it "lefty loosey" instead of anti-clockwise. Laughing You
should find these shots most encouraging, hope to see more!

Bill

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote: Now I have it drummed into my head - when I'm facing the camera the ring turns anti-clockwise to loosen.

Exactly what I do too, Dave. And, when tightened at only "finger tight", I've never had it come loose or dropped a lens off of it while using.

Larry