Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

m42 lens must-haves: what are they?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Another way of answering... if I can pick only one M42 lens to have, it would be Flek 35 f2/4

+1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried several copies of flektogon 35/2.8 and non was as sharp as 35/2.4.

Anyway, as for "must have" M42 lenses, I think i depend if you prefer sharpness or character.

for sharpness:

Vivitar Series 1 28/1.9
S-M-C Takumar 35/3.5 or Flektogon 35/2.4
S-M-C Takumar 50/1.4
S-M-C Macro Takumar 50/4
CZJ Pancolar 80/1.8
CZJ Biometar 80/2.8
CZJ Sonnar 135/3.5 or Jupiter-37 135/3.5

for character:

Auto Takumar 35/2.3 (also very sharp at f/11)
Meyer Primagon 35/4.5 (sharp)
Meyer Helioplan 40/4.5
Volna-9 Macro 50/2.8 (sharp but not at Takumar level; best ever bokeh)
Meyer Trioplan 50/2.9
Meyer Primoplan 58/1.9
Jupiter-9 85/2
Meyer Trioplan 100/2.8

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, you will find the answer for this inquiry is WIDE OPEN as you can also find almost everyone in Forum here has at least five M42 lenses and even more than 10. IMHO, CZJ/EBC and SMC (as you had laready) are good and some Russian lenses are good, too. You better to collect ALL to experience them. Laughing
Mike

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
Not an adapter. They now offer relacement mounts for certain Minolta lenses that converts it to a true M42 mount. They are starting to get pretty popular to.

Who is "They" ? I have a Rokkor 50mm f/1.4 that I've wanted to convert, but given up on because of the difficulty. In fact, I can't even figure out how to remove the mount.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only 2 "Must have" M42 lenses. Plenty others I'm happy I do have.
Pancolar MC 50mm

Pancolar MC 80mm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
for character:

Auto Takumar 35/2.3 (also very sharp at f/11)
Meyer Primagon 35/4.5 (sharp)
Meyer Helioplan 40/4.5
Volna-9 Macro 50/2.8 (sharp but not at Takumar level; best ever bokeh)
Meyer Trioplan 50/2.9
Meyer Primoplan 58/1.9
Jupiter-9 85/2
Meyer Trioplan 100/2.8

You seem to like Meyer. Is the 100mm anything like the Pentor 100mm f/2.8? Do you know anything about the Pentor? Is the Meyer 200mm f/4 worth anything?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi here, i agree with the following :

estudleon wrote:
I suggest: 1,8/50 Pancolar, very economical 1,8/50 pentacon,

I'd like to add the 2.8/29 Pentacon, very good and cheap as well, but that's not the main issue. I found th e 50mm Pentacon to be soft as gum, thus good for portraits. Wink

ok i'm sure have also said CZJ Sonnar 135 or Tessar, yes, very good also, but the choice of m42's is HUGE !

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hexi wrote:
Hi here, i agree with the following :

estudleon wrote:
I suggest: 1,8/50 Pancolar, very economical 1,8/50 pentacon,

I'd like to add the 2.8/29 Pentacon, very good and cheap as well, but that's not the main issue. I found th e 50mm Pentacon to be soft as gum, thus good for portraits. Wink

ok i'm sure have also said CZJ Sonnar 135 or Tessar, yes, very good also, but the choice of m42's is HUGE !

I found my 50 pentacon MC at F/8 and 11 really indistinguishable to my eyes to the MC pancolar at F/8 and 11. Both very similar at F/4 and 5,6 (a bit better the pancolar for me) and widest the pancolar the best.

To my eyes the pentacon is a good 50 mm. Very versatil: focus from 30 cm, it's a F/1,8 lens, very econimical too. Not much of the 50 mm lenses can said that.

In the rain, snow, sand, the pentacon will do the job with a filter over it, no more. Is it broken working ? It´s easy to repair. Isn't possible ? Well take a 5E and buy another one. The new will be the job too.

A second 50 mm to have ? May be. I have one. Not the second, it's the 3 erd. to me. (S-M-C and pancolar first).

About the 3,5/135 CZJ. I read several times that the 4/135 CZJ is better than the 3,5 version.

And I had the 3,5 in both versions, the MC and the non MC. The last is the best for me. Less CA, more resolution power and a bit less warmish colors. The MC has a bit more contrast.

Rino.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:
The present prices for the Flek 2.4/35 are silly... sorry... ridiculous. 50% is due to a hype.

I not agree Flek 35 is good as many higher priced competitors and lot better than most lenses.

Disagree with you Attila.

The Flek is a cheap and mechanical very instable lens. You have to look for lots of copies to find one, which is mechanical and optical good.

In comparison to a Leica 2.8/35mm Elmarit the Flek is faster but not as good as i expected. I did some comparison shots on a meeting in Marburg with a copy which was completely serviced and adjusted by Foto Service Görlitz (Olbrich). It cant win my interest according to the Elmarit.

Ok, its a useful lens, great short focus distance, sharp stopped down, but overpriced IMHO..
It beats some competitors in the lower segment, thats all.
Dont know what you mean with "...better then most lenses".. but the Flek doesnt suprised me and i have seen a lot of 35mm lenses.

So i agree with Carsten, there is a Hype for the Flek, not more.

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hold over twenty copy of Flek 35 only a few of them had blades problem. None of them had bad optical quality just some of them was better than usual. So I keep my opinion current lens prices are not high at all.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hinnerker: Which M42 35mm lens is cheaper and better performing than the Flektogon? I can't say it's my favourite lens, but there are many 35mm M42 lenses, which are more expensive, but worse.

Some lenses are similarly sharp stopped down - S-M-C 35/3.5 or Auto Tak 35/2.3... But none of them is also as good at wider apertures. None of them allows macro 1:2 focusing and none of them has smoother bokeh. All 35mm lenses I tried had significantly harder OOF lights.

How can be a lens considered as overpriced, if equivalent performer for a better price doesn't exist?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When speaking about lens prices, high, low, expensive, and cheap are all subjective terms. I have the Flek 35mm f/2.4 and also a Soligor 35mm f/2.8 T-4 lens (from way back). The Soligor can probably be had for $10, the Flek cost me $100 and most go higher. So, the Flek is high priced relative to my Soligor, but certainly not a high priced lens relative to new lenses or even the better Zeiss lenses. However, I will agree that the build quality isn't as good as it should be. On that level, I will say the Soligor is a better build. When it comes to IQ, the Flek is much better overall, although the Soligor does very well in some circumstances.

Today, and because of this thread, I took my Soligor and Flek out to do some comparison shots for my own purposes. The Flek broke. This was the second time the aperture stopped working. The first time it was an easy fix, but this time I allowed a bearing to slip out and had to disassemble more of the lens mount. What a nightmare. I still think those designers had demented minds. After several attempts to get it all back together and working, the last attempt seems to have worked. It works flawlessly now, so I'm not sure yet what I did wrong. Anyway, I think it was the A/M switch that led to the problem. Allowing the switch to get in the halfway position and changing the aperture seems to force a lever out of its sleeve.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Anyway, I think it was the A/M switch that led to the problem. Allowing the switch to get in the halfway position and changing the aperture seems to force a lever out of its sleeve.

Yes , this is weak part of Carl Zeiss Jena design. In my experience if blades did clean well they works for many , many years trouble free.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
hinnerker: Which M42 35mm lens is cheaper and better performing than the Flektogon?

Mir-24M (35/2) and SMC Takumar 35/2 are both cheaper ($90 and under-$200'ish respectively), almost a stop brighter, and generally offer a very pleasing rendition.

If we're talking about 35mm lenses in general, then Nikkor 35/2 is superb (an AI version can be had for around $130). I've heard good things about SMC Pentax M 35/2, but can't confirm as I can't mount it on the 5D. Yashica ML 35/2.8, although slightly slower, is way cheaper than the Flek, and offers even sharpness across the frame with superb colors and contrast; it costs about $85.

As you see, there are plenty of alternatives that are both cheaper *and* better than the Flek.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was never successful to find the M42 Mir in good condition for better price then Flektogon. Maybe I'll sometimes offer a Flektogon for exchange Smile

As for S-M-C 35/2, it is sharp wide open, but it has also the most significant CA of all 35mm I have ever tried. Flektogon also has much softer bokeh and is way sharper stopped down.

Takumars are good, S-M-C 35/2.0 for low-light, S-M-C 35/3.5 for sharpness and 35/2.3 for low CA and sharpness at f/11, but 3 lenses are needed to beat 1 flektogon.

As for build quality - primary problem of black CZJ lenses is the lube. It was certified only for temperatures lower than 40°C. Reaching this temperature some substances start to evaporate and condense at the coldest part of the lens - aperture blades. The bigger blades, the sooner it will tick them together. At the era of these lenses many owners tried to fix this issue by themselves making damage like deforming the blades, decentering optics, breaking adjusted infinity focus, aperture mechanism etc. These "home-serviced" lenses caused much of the bad build-quality reputation. It was CZJ fault, but multiplied by thumby hands...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The flek 35/2.4 is selling for around $200 US in general, similar in price to Distagon 35/2.8. Do they have considerably different character to warrant having both? Or are they too similar?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have Distagon 35/2.8 but I can say, that optical design of Flektogon 35/2.4 is very different to flektogon 35/2.8 (which is typical early retrofocal lens), but very similar to some distagons:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a) Price : As all of us know, while there is a buyer that want to pay determinated price to obtain certain lens, it will be the price. Market win. The price isn't subjective.

There is a buyer or not. It's objective. Now, the price formation's process can be subjective, but not the price in itself.

If one person want to pay E 200 for the flektogon 2,4/35 (or for any other lens) and do it, that will be the market's price for the lens. No more to me.

b) The M42 mount isn't the best one to wide angle lenses. I have a flek 2,4/35 and I hoped so much from it. But, in other hand, not much better 35 lenses in the M42 world.

If you like the wide angle pics, I suggest that change the mount (elmarit and distagon are the lenses to go to for me) I don't know much about nikon and canon lenses.

c) The CZJ lenses have a plastic base over one the blades are moving (open and close). That plastic base wear away with the rubbing of blades and are restraining blades. I could verify that with my own eyes and in my own lens.

Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:

.... I don't know much about nikon and canon lenses......

Considering all available lenses, including AF ones, Canon 35L 1.4 imho is "the absolute" lense of such focal length ....

.... apart from price, of course Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dab63 wrote:
estudleon wrote:

.... I don't know much about nikon and canon lenses......

Considering all available lenses, including AF ones, Canon 35L 1.4 imho is "the absolute" lense of such focal length ....

.... apart from price, of course Rolling Eyes

Have you forgotten about C/Y Distagon 35/1.4? Don't think Canon 35L can beat that. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my_photography wrote:

Have you forgotten about C/Y Distagon 35/1.4? Don't think Canon 35L can beat that. Smile

except for some purple fringing wide open, I see no flaws in 35L .. so it would be a very hard (for the lenses) and verrrrry nice (for me Wink ) comparison to do if I had a Distagon in my hands Cool

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once somebody start speak about L-glass everething comparing to them and nothing can compare to them... funny =)
but in glass I suppose Zeiss could beat many new Canon primes mainly in specific and own important clues.

hexi wrote:

I'd like to add the 2.8/29 Pentacon, very good and cheap as well, but that's not the main issue.

It is not bad lens but mine has own character. Pics at faster asa speed look like painting or what. Rather to have something sharper. (Taks and CZJs spoiled me Very Happy) Speaking about non-MC wide Pentacon.
Compare:

Pentacon 29/2.8 @f8-11 Kodak Ultramax 400

Pentacon 29/2.8 @f8-11 Fuji Superia 200

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spleenone, thanks for pulling us back to the topic. Will discuss the other side topics in another thread if interested. Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice shots with the pentacon ...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my_photography wrote:
Spleenone, thanks for pulling us back to the topic. Will discuss the other side topics in another thread if interested. Laughing

=) will join with word of wisdom
Very Happy
fish4570 wrote:
nice shots with the pentacon ...

thanks