Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

M.P.P MkIII 4x5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: M.P.P MkIII 4x5 Reply with quote

Oops, I seem to have bought one of these...
http://www.mppusers.com/

I got a MkIII (edit, had typed MkII) that's had new bellows (new sometime in the past decade or two, so plenty of life in them), and been factory upgraded with the International back - which also swaps into the Crown Graphic, but not vice versa, funnily enough.
I assume (but I could be wrong) that when the new back was fitted, the registration distance would have been set to be the proper standard figure, at least I hope so.
It's a hefty lump of a thing, a good couple of pounds heavier than the Linhof 9x12, but oozes an air of solidity and good quality workmanship. It needs the outer covering replaced, as it's falling off in places, but I'll get around to that eventually.
The rangefinder works, the patch is clear and distinct and moves properly, but without a lens on yet I don't know how accurate it will be. Adjusting the Kalart isn't too onerous a task.
There's a scale for a 135mm lens attached to the baseboard, which is handy for me, as I have a Wollensak Optar of that length (but no securing nut) which will fit in the lensboard with a bit of hole enlarging. I hope the focal marks suit the Optar, as I haven't a clue what would have been fitted there before.
It's got two accessory shoes on it, which leads me to think that this was a camera that was out earning its keep; there was some good reason for those two shoes. The middle one would have been an optical finder and the LH one a flash mount. The protector bracket around the rangefinder has a slide mount for a flash, but that was probably long since out-dated and out-moded, being a proprietory system.
The only thing missing is the front frame of the sports finder, but the bracket is still there, so that leads to the possibility of making one - it's a simple enough piece of wire.
Apart from the covering, everything is in very good condition and I'm looking forward to putting some film through this.

By getting this, I've scratched my Linhof itch for a while - I might eventually get a proper Technika III (I have a very good back waiting for one) but this is/was the British Linhof and that will do for now.

These are all seller's pics, just taken from the sale site.

Scabby underneath - needs re-covering.

Last edited by Farside on Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:08 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a fine looking camera Dave, the covering is rough but the rest looks in good shape so it should be a nice restoration project.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, Dave.
It's not needing re-covered on every panel, so I might just patch in the bottom panel and the outside front (underneath). That boss on the front for the tripod mount raises a problem for fitting around it.
I've just discovered the lens board fits the View II - that's a bonus.
Now I've just got to work out a system of adaptable boards which will allow me to mount lenses on the Linhof and swap easily to the MPP/View II.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
That's a fine looking camera Dave, the covering is rough but the rest looks in good shape so it should be a nice restoration project.

X2!

Cheers,

Renato

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy using an MPP-Micro Technical Mk-VII since the mid-'90s and I'm still satisfied by its mechanical quality and accurate finish. It's a little lighter than a Linhof and that's good especially while carrying it in the backpack, while photo-hiking in the mountains.

MPPs are not as common as one could imagine so, finding one is always a nice surprise.

Recently, I've seen an MPP Microflex (MPP's answer to the Rolleiflex) and I've been impressed by its excellent quality.

Best wishes,

Enzo (E.L.)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Renato, Enzo.
I'm figuring out what to do with the available lenses and incompatible boards of three view cameras.
I'm going to keep the Linhof Press as it is (I'd thought of taking the back and bellows from it onto the Technika II), as it's really rather a nice lightweight 9x12 view camera with the ability to be used as a point and shooter if I so desire. On that, I'll fit a Rodenstock 127mm Ysarex from a Polaroid 110A and it can stay there.
On the Technika II, the 150mm Xenar from the Press can live more -or-less permanently, as it should suit that well and it's contemporaneous with it.
Fortunately, both Linhofs have very simple flat plain boards of aluminium, so are easy to make.

Now, on the MPP - I have three lenses that will do nicely;
1. Dallmeyer 4.25" (108mm) with a view angle of ~90deg or so.
2. Optar 135mm
3. G-Claron 210mm (on its way, and finding a shutter for it)
I only need to make 2 boards (one came with the camera) and again, the boards are very simple and easy to DIY, just being flat and simple to cut/rebate/build-up. No fancy corners or recesses or swaged edges here.

Enzo, it's interesting you reckon the later MPP is lighter that its then contemporary model of Technika - that surprises me, as this model is pretty heavy, especially compared to the 9x12s it shares space with. I can only assume MPPs shed some weight and Technikas gained some. I know the Tech III is heavier than the Tech II, as the extra body size dictates some inevitable weight gain.
I don't think I'd want to go back-packing with this lump, but the Tech II or Press would definitely find a space with me on a journey into the hills.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Nice !
Seems much like a 1950's Speed Graphic or Busch Pressman.
It looks like it has front rise shift and tilt ?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are so rare in the USA.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Optar 4.7/135 is the default lens which came with the Speed Graphic, isn't it?

What's the corner performance of this lens in 4X5?

Cheers,

Renato

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 135 was typical on the 4x5 speed, but there was no standard really.
Quite a lot of them were sold with 127mm for Press use as they liked the wide angle and bettet DOF
After all they tended to keep them at f/16 for flash use and guesstimated focus.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Very Nice !
Seems much like a 1950's Speed Graphic or Busch Pressman.
It looks like it has front rise shift and tilt ?

Luis, it has rise, shift and approx 20deg of back tilt. No front tilt, but I might look at a later standard from a MkVIII if I think I'll really need that, and swing.
http://www.mppusers.com/frontitltmkvii.htm that's assuming the rails are the same.

Renato, I don't know what the corner performance is like yet, I've only shot 6x9 so far with an Optar. It will probably be fine, by all accounts. Then there's variation, of course; the one on the Crown seems fine, and the loose one hasn't been mounted to anything, yet.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked a lot to carrry my MPP outfit (camera, 3 lenses, 6 double film holders and the 6x9 back, accessories, filters and a heavy, old Manfrotto tripod) on mountain trips.

Here's a picture taken many years ago, with its Xenar lens on a 4"x5" film: