Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

List your favourite MF film cameras...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Henry!

You have wonderful pieces!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Henry!

Welcomd and enjoy your stay!

Excellent gear you have collected. I guess you can tell us a lot about it.

P.S.: @Attila: Thank God you have used the plural. Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject: Favorite camera(s) Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

I appreciate the warm welcome here at the MFL Forum.

peterqd, you asked:
Quote:
Did you get the Debug Error when you first posted it?

Yes, I did see that, and it was confusing.

Quote:
This is a bug in the system which we are trying to sort out. Until then, if you do see it don't worry, your message has already been sent so there's no need to send it again. The thing to do is clik the Back button twice (to get back to the thread), and then Refresh. Your message will then be displayed.

I understand. I know what to do now.

BTW, I did not see any way to remove a post. Is that something that a user can do?

Quote:
Great array of equipment you have! M3 eh?

Thank you. I'm a sucker for old things that work well for decades on end. Yes, I really do like the M3 for anytime that it will suit the need at hand. But the SLR is waaaay more flexible, peterqd.

Atilla said:
Quote:
Welcome Henry! ... You have wonderful pieces!

Thank you, Atilla. I am taken aback at your collection of great gear too.

LucisPictor,
Thank you for the welcome and for the kind words. I see that you have quite an arsenal there too. Wow. Look at all that neat stuff!

Looking forward to chatting about MF imaging with you folks down the line.

Happy day.

Smile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twisted Evil Another bump after what, 3.5 years, where are we now?

For me, the Minolta Autocord pushes out the Diacord and 124G
Long term screw mount fave, and I can now come out of the closet on this Laughing : Yashica TL Electro-X. It is large but not overly heavy, and fits my hands well.
Other SLR - in these years, I've picked up a Miranda, a Nikon FE, and three Minoltas. I like the Minoltas. XE-5, that cute panda is my pick.
135 RF - modern: Konica Auto S2. Vintage: tie between the Kiev and the Ansco Memar. Nah, Kiev tops the Ansco.

I've picked up several Kodaks and Certos and various other folding cameras, and the Bessa 66, while still a sentimental fave, needs some attention due to old age fragility. My faves, the very old Goerz Rollfilm Tenaz and the very young Bessa I with its coated Vaskar. 6x9 seems to be where I like it. The two Kodak 620 6x9 cameras have fab lenses but are let down by 620 film, and in the case of the Monitor, fritzy transport.

To boil it down: Minolta: Autocord, XE-5. Kiev, Konica Auto S2. Goerz, Bessa I. I could be content with these... let's see how it is in another 3 Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my current favorites are

TLR
Ricohflex DIA L, http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/filmcamera/japanese/ricohflex-provia-100/
Rolleicord
35mm RF
Werra 3 ,http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/filmcamera/german/werra/werra-3-provia-100/
35mm SLR
Konica FP, http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/filmcamera/japanese/Konica/konica_fp_konishiroku_hexanon_35mm_f2_8_fuji200/
35mm compact
Konica C35, http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/filmcamera/japanese/Konica/konica-c35-black-provia-100/
6x6 SLR
Praktisix, http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/filmcamera/german/praktisix-biometar-80-fomapan-100/
6x6 folder
Certo Six, http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/filmcamera/german/certo-six/
etc

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, why not?

1. Asahi Spotmatic SPII
2. Leica C2 (Damn! Not MF! Wink)
3. Zorki-4
4. Yashica Electro 35GS
5. Nikon F
6. Ricoh KR-10x
7. Minox 35GL
8. Ricoh FF-1
9. Agfa Super Silette
10. Vivitar Ultra Wide & Slim

Last edited by LucisPictor on Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:46 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if I should even post mine. This is a very small list and one I have not seen anyone else say anything about. It was my first SLR and in fact until recently my only camera that was not a point and shoot. At the time I purchased it I could not afford the cost of wasting film to learn to use it correctly and it fell out of use. I wasn't until I purchased a DSLR and learned basic photography principles that I could get anything decent out of it. I still have it.

It is a Pentax P30T My recent Spotmatic is my only other current film Cam.

So, I guess my list is as follows.

1. Pentax P30T
2. Pentax Spotmatic SP

Last edited by adent on Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:12 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Pentax 67II
2. Hasselblad SWC/M
3. Graflex Pacemaker Speed Graphic
4. Hasselblad 503CW
5. Rolleiflex SL66

Difficult to pick, but if I had to pick the top 5, that would be it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's about time I updated too.

1. Minolta X-500
2. Minolta XD-7
3. Pentax P50
4. Pentax Spotmatic SPF
5. Pentax K2
6. Pentax Spotmatic SP II
7. Minolta XG-M
8. Pentax ME Super
9. Zenit E
10. Praktica PLC2

Currently under repair/CLA

11. Pentax ES II
12. Chinon CE-3 Memotron
13. Zenit 3M

I've just gained a Minolta X-700 too, but I'm still on the first roll so it's too early to place it in the list. So far I'm not impressed by it - I'd place it with the XG-M.

Last edited by peterqd on Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adent wrote:
I'm not sure if I should even post mine. This is a very small list and one I have not seen anyone else say anything about. It was my first SLR and in fact until recently my only camera that was not a point and shoot. At the time I purchased it I could not afford the cost of wasting film to learn to use it correctly and it fell out of use. I wasn't until I purchased a DSLR and learned basic photography principles that I could get anything decent out of it. I still have it.

It is a Pentax P30T

My recent Spotmatic is my only other current film Cam.

I was using the P30T till last year when I left it in Holland and it was damaged in the mail when my friend sent it back. It took a bang on the hotshoe which made a very small crack in the plastic top you could hardly notice, but the electrics had packed up. I took some lovely photos with it. It looked a bit "plasticky" when I first got it, but I was surprised by the quality. The only thing I didn't take to was the lack of exposure compensation with the auto ISO reading = no way to adjust exposure in auto mode. That's why I replaced it with the P50, which also has auto ASA, but it has exposure comp too. Otherwise virtually the same. What lenses are you using with it?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a rookie against lot of you but:
1) spotmatic SPII
2) Mamiya 645 1000S
3) Pentax Mx

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Peterqd My lenses for it are not impressive. One is the kit lens SMC 35-80/4-5.6 and the other one is SMC 80-200/4.7-5.6. Plastic construction, probably the reason I never got real excited with the camera when I first started using it. Those are the only two lenses I have for it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any camera with silly diodes that you have to adjust exposure or shutter speed to get the green one in the middle, for correct exposure, are a turn off for me, and thumbs down for cameras that can't take a M42 adapter.
Anyway the cameras I use the most must be my favourites:-

Canon T70 and T90..great with matching flash guns, and love the SS (safety shift) in case of cock-ups
Canon A1... got it recently and I like it and will use it more.
Konica TC basic but competent for those nice Hexanon lenses
Minolta X-300 and X-700 I use these mainly with others makers lenses (Minolta lenses are more scarce and expensive)...also has very good matching flash gun.
Pentax S3 (or Praktica MTL3) used with M42 lenses with no stop down switches that can't be used on Canons, Minoltas etc

and The Praktica BC1...I use this the least but it's quite a competent camera with auto speeds down to about 40 secs

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adent wrote:
@Peterqd My lenses for it are not impressive. One is the kit lens SMC 35-80/4-5.6 and the other one is SMC 80-200/4.7-5.6. Plastic construction, probably the reason I never got real excited with the camera when I first started using it. Those are the only two lenses I have for it.

I bought the ME Super s/h about 25 years ago. It had a smc M1.7/50 kit lens and that was my only K mount lens (apart from a really crappy zoom) until 2 years ago. I've now added an M2.8/28 and M2.8/35 and I must say they have really impressed me. That's why the P50 is at No 3 and I've put the ME-Super back in my list! Smile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well these are my current favorites. Ordered by the amount I use them since I don't want to pick favorites.

1. Kodak Retina iia. Because it is always with me, always loaded, and always does it's job.
2. Pentax H3v Because the controls are right there where my fingers reach for them and I don't have to think.
3. Pentax Me I have not had it very long but it is quickly finding a place in my bag, The viewfinder and shutter release I like.
4. Yashica lynx5000 Because it is QUIET ! Quick and Did I say QUIET.
5. Pentax MX Because I paid more for it than any other MF camera. So I am Damn well going to like it no matter how much I hate the shutter speed dial. Yes It has the BEST viewfinder and it's the SMALLEST and has the best METER And the BEST damped mirror action and .......... But WHY is the shutter speed dial LIKE THIS Mad OK deep breath ! I do like it don't get me wrong but frankly I don't need a meter inside my darn camera if I can't reach up with one finger and change the shutterspeed. i reach up on the old H3v with one finger and presto the shutter speed is changed . But I'm not giving up Smile I know it's me and not the camera Wink
6. Pentax Kx Ok it's auto focus I guess. but frankly I don't use the af lenses much.
7. Praktica FX3 Because I'm not right in the head Smile But once in a while I just like the way it feels and smells and SOUNDS! KERPHFLAAATPHF.
8. Ziess Nettar 518/2 with 110cm f4.5 6x9 Because I just got it. I thought hey those Nettars are cute little 6x4.5 s. Well I didn't Know they made a Sssstttretttch version. But it's kinda fun guestifocussing and chosing one of the 4 count them 4 shutter speeds doesn't require a lot of thinking Smile All joking aside I LIKE IT !
Shocked Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite film cameras? Hmm let's see:

1- Contax AX
2- Nikon FM2 new
3- Contax G2
4- Contax 645
5- Contax RX
6- Nikon F70
7- Contax II (pre-war)
8- Kiev-IV
9- Contarex "Cyclops"
10- Super Ikonta 533/16
11- Bessaflex TM
12- Praktica FX2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any (working) Exakta - Because they look very cool and I am very shallow. Or insane.

Pentax H/S or Spotmatic - When I really need to take pictures and not play around.

Speed Graphic - When I want to play retro

Meridian 4x5 - When I want to imagine I'm Ansel Adams

Graflex SLR - When I want to imagine I'm Edward Weston

Ricoh/Sears TLS - When I need to give a kid a "disposable" camera, or maybe use one to hammer nails.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So in order
1. Yashica mat 124/g (have one of each)
1. Fuji GS645s its hard to choose between these 120 cameras, they compliment each other really well and are my favourite machines full stop

3. Fuji STX1n as I really like the 55mm 1.6
4. Canon AE1p part sentimental I used one for most of the eighties.
5. Prinz 35ee (also available as a Cosina 35e and others) The Cosina was my go every place camera but my bag got swiped and I got the Prinz to replace it, Both cams cost me 99p
6. Polaroid SX70, I just wish the film was not so expensive.
7. Shanghai TLR ? I can do multiple exposures on her other than that I am not so impressed.
8. Canon AE1 I loved Canon FD, never so keen on EOS.
9. Polaroid 330, wonderful pack film camera and my preferred instant material is the peal apart type.
10, Chinon CE4-s, nice to use with a handy double exposure lever.
11 Fuji AX1 , its a pity but my AX3 died and she was my favourite 35mm SLR.
12. Cosina CSM this was my first SLR it got stolen going through customs in JFK airport and I bought one for sentimental reasons off the bay a few years ago.

Now some lower down the list cameras get more use than others further up the list, The polaroid 330 due to film and the original AE1 feels better to use to me. I am at the moment using the Fuji 645 and the Yashica mats for my main current projects. Over all I far prefer using manual focus cameras over AF ones, apart from a pocket Olympus mju1 I and some later instant film cameras have no other film AF cameras and its extremely unlikely I will buy any unless they are less than £5 with a nice lens. I like the 35mm slr cameras I have so would only buy another if it is mega cheep, but I may pay a bit more for a Konica or a contax/yashica mount slr to get a T* 50mm and Ihave heard all these good things about Konica lenses has made me curious.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep changing my mind, but presently......

For handling & results:
Zorki 6
Canon T90
Pentax Spotmatic SPii
Chinon CE3
Agfa Isolette ii

For fun:
Praktica MTL50
Praktica MTL3
Zenit TTL
Zenit XP
Zenit 3M

I really must try:
Praktica iv
Praktica Nova
Zenit C
Zenit 3

Last edited by martinsmith99 on Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentax K1000
Pentax Spotmatic F
Pentax 645
Voigtlander Vitomatic IIa
Aires Viscount
Busch Pressman D
Kodak Medalist I
Arette IB

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The list could change from day to day depending on latest results.

1: Zenit EM - My first SLR with Helios 44M 58/2, Chinon 35/2.8, Optomax 135/2.8
2: Olympus OM10 - What I upgraded to after the EM, with Zuiko 50/1.8, Sigma 28/2.8, Sigma 100-200/4
3: Minolta XG-M with MD50/1.7, Tamron 28-70/3.5, Sigma 100-200/4
4. Praktica Nova - with Tessar 50/2.8. This one taught me the joys of "Sunny 16s"
5. Zenit E - with Pentacon 50/1.8, Palar 135/2.8, Soligor 28/2.8
6. Minolta X300S - shares lenses with the XG-M
7. Olympus OM10 no.2 - Zuiko 70-150/4
8. Zenit TTL - with Helios 44M 58/2. My latest acquisition. Haven't finished the 1st roll yet but I like the handling.
9. Halina Paulette - My first 35mm camera. Nothing to love about it but it did get me interested.
10 Lubitel 2 - Horrible to use and I never got good results from it, but it was medium format and cheap.

Last edited by skida on Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of my past favourites and current favourites (except # 10)

1. Contax 159mm with 28mm Distagon
2. Kodak Retina Reflex III with fully compliment of SK and Rodenstock lenses
3. Kodak Retina IIa with Rodenstock Retina Heligon 50mm f2
4. Minolta XD 11 with Rokkor 45mm pancake lens
5. Minolta SRT 200 (1st SLR and sentimental favourite)
6. Minolta X700 with Tamron 60-300 SP ( just acquired for $25 with Rokkor f1.8 )
7. Voigtlander Vito B for the size and simplicity
8. Minolta 7s with 45mm F1.8
9. Minolta AF2 (when I don't want to think)
10. Canon Powershot S5 IS (for when I need a reality check on how needlessly complicated taking a photograph can be)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this is an old thread but seems fun.

1. Pentax LX. If I could only keep one film camera this would be it. Small, light, full of 'pro' features such as OTF metering, interchangeable viewfinders and focusing screens, etc. etc. Probably the best MF camera Pentax ever made (and I've tried quite a few).

2. Pentax MX. My second camera ever (although that example was stolen). Small, light, all manual but reliable and has most of the features one needs. When travelling, often the LX+MX will be my preferred combo.

3. Pentax ES. No mirror lock-up, no self timer, no metering on manual, pretty good metering on auto. I shouldn't really like it as on paper it doesn't tick many boxes, but in practice I do and so far it is my favourite M42 camera. I have an ESII but I haven't used it that much yet. If I'm in a screw mount mood I'll take the ES with BW and the ESII with colour.

4. FED2. Not sure what it is with this camera and it's Industar-26m lens but for whatever reason I seem to get rather good results with it, not just technically but also in terms of "seeing" images. I bought it just to try out a rangefinder camera and now I use it quite a bit, especially with Kodak BW400CN film.

5. Pentax ME Super. This is partly sentiment as it is the first camera I ever bought having saved up for it for months when I was a teenager. Having said that, many years of familiarity means that I can use it quickly and accurately. All the controls fall easily to hand (even those buttons everyone else hates) and I know the quirks of the metering system instinctively (I shot Kodachrome 64 when I could afford it, and other slide films when I couldn't). I used this camera for ten years and literally wore it out. I have subsequently bought another three of them, including two black versions. It seems a little sad that a camera that took me months of scrimping and saving to afford can now be bought for less than the price of a meal.

6. Lubitel 2. I was given this for free with a box of other camera equipment. I ran a roll through it just to try. I tried another roll. Then a few others... It is a pain in the posterior to focus, I often cannot really see what I am getting in the image, there is no meter but the lens is surprisingly sharp. So much so, that I have shown prints (admittedly small ones) to people and they couldn't tell the difference between it and my Yashicamat 124G. If I am travelling relatively light, I'll take it in preference to the Yashica as it is much smaller and a fraction of the weight.

7. Horseman LE 5x4 view camera. This is the only view camera I have ever used so it isn't a fair comparison but for architecture you cannot beat a view camera. This model isn't too heavy and has a full range of movements. I wish I had some sort of darkroom as I would then use it much more.

8. Pentax KX. Better specs than the MX, more basic than the LX, and bigger and heavier than either. Has a good solid feel, a nice metering system, stop-down preview, MLU, self timer etc.

9. Yashicamat 124G. Excellent TLR, much easier to focus and use than the Lubitel but much heavier. Although it has an internal light meter, I haven't found mine very accurate and use my hand-held meter just as I do with the FED and the Lubitel.

10. Horizont. A 1970s Soviet swing lensed panoramic camera. Not your everyday beast but its fun, and everyone stares at you wondering "what the hell is that?" My only criticism is that it is a bit heavy to carry around with a selection of other cameras, but the swing-lens panoramic format is hardly ideal as a "carry around" camera.

Best wishes, Kris.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

current favorite: olympus om-1n. i don't think i will change my opinion. it is the most rangefinder-like slr i have ever tried. it fits my style/vision. excellent glass at sane prices. more versatile than a RF because of close-focusing. so, so, so compact. love the viewfinder.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a number of 35mm film cameras, and generally get rid of ones I don't like. So, the list includes only those I actually like using. I put them in order of favorite to use, not quality of camera:

Nikon FE - well built, easy and wonderful to use, and it feels like it weighs half what my D700 weighs. Plus, it works better for long exposures than any camera I've ever used.
Nikon F2A - built like a tank, solid, dependable, and it works great. Also, it's one of the finest cameras ever built. Just not as fun as the FE
Kodak Retina IIa - Speaking of fun, this one is a jewel and feels like it was built by Swiss clockmakers--actually, German camera makers, and it shows. Feels like a piece of history, and once in a while, I manage to get decent photos out of it, in spite of myself.
Asahi Pentax Spotmatic - the first 35mm I tried after using my Yashica for over 10 years. Everything about it felt right, especially the meter.
Nikon F100 - Very useful, especially if I want to use modern autofocus lenses. Really nice when I want or need to take photos quickly. The color matrix metering works great, too.
And,
honorable mention goes to the Yashica TL Electro, my first decent camera, but after handling a couple of others, I realized I didn't like it much, especially the twin LED meter. Yuck. Still have it, though. Not sure why, since I've sold every M42 lens I had except the kit Yashinon 50/1.9 that came with it.