Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

List your favourite MF film cameras...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: List your favourite MF film cameras... Reply with quote

We have talked much about our favourite MF lenses.
Why not put up a ranking of our favourite MF film cams?

1. Asahi Spotmatic SPII (Absolutely fantastic! Thanks, Peter!)
2. Olympus 35RC (Small and great performer.)
3. Ricoh KR-10x (My first SLR ever.)
4. Canon FT-b QL (Built like a tank.)
5. Minolta Hi-Matic E (Better but bigger than the "F".)
6. FED-3b (Very nice. It just lacks a meter.)
7. Minolta Hi-Matic F (My first fixed lens RF.)
8. Zenit EM (My fav M42 before the Spotty came.)
9. Agfa Super Silette Automatic (My first rangefinder.)
10. EXA I & EXA 1c (Both very similar.)
11. Canon EF-M (It's fun, but it has some metering issues.)
12. Nikon EM (Not bad, the meter works but the needle doesn't react - quite irritating.)

I have not tested the Ricoh 500RF enough so far.
And my new Yashica Electro 35 GS (Thanks, Andy!) will surely go up high on this ranking, but I need to shoot some rolls before I can judge it. Wink

I've got several others that I don't use much and I am waiting for a KONICA AUTOREFLEX A with a HEXANON AR 1.7 / 50 lens...

As far as AF-cams are concerned I really like my Leica C2 (perfect metering, great lens).
The Nikon L35 AF, the Canon AF35 M II and the Olympus AF-1 TWIN are surprisingly good and the Canon EOS 500 is much better than I have expected.

Last edited by LucisPictor on Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:46 am; edited 4 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently I have following cameras what I tested with film.
1) Nikon FA - Aperture priority, Shutter priority, manual mode etc, etc.
I don't think need any better camera.
2) Olympus OM2n Less feautere than NIKON FA, beautiful cam also
3) Praktica VLC3 TTL metering with "electric" lenses, compare with above cameras a very simple cam.
4) Yashica Electro 35 GN Thanks for Andy! A clear winner in quality before above cameras Shocked
5) Konica FS-1 also quiet simple beautiful camera with shutter priority.

In waiting que:
Koinca TC4 Thanks Bill!

Many Praktica variants, Zenits etc.

Exakta VarexIIb, Yashica MAT 124G, Asahi Spotmatic, Kodak Retina, Olympus Trip etc.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here's mine:

1. Olympus 35RC--(RF)never ceases to surprise me!
2. Ricohflex Dia L 120 TLR
3. Yashica Electro 35 GT--(RF) is growing on me, need to shoot it more.
4. Konica T4--(SLR) love this cam!
5. Contax RX--(SLR) need to use it more, but have gotten some nice shots.
6. Nikon F--(SLR) built like a tank, no meter, but very reliable.
7. Agfa Isoletter 4.5--120 folder front element focus, need to use more.
8. Voigtlander Bessa RF--(6x9 coupled RF)is on its way back from being CLA'd!

I have a bunch more cams I haven't tried yet: Yashica, Contax, Konica,
and Exakta.

Bill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently I'm using various cams for different films Very Happy

Colour Neg: Spotmatic SPII, ME Super
Slides: Chinon CE-3, Pentax K2
B&W: Spotmatic SP, Minolta XG-M

Difficult to choose a favourite. The K2 has the feel of real quality. The Spotties feel solid and are the most fun to use, the Chinon feels a bit cheaper but I love the exposure lock. The ME Super is my least favourite. I haven't used the Minolta very much yet, its light weight feels strange.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up with the Pen FT, so I'm all for simplicity and small size. Except of course for clever gadgetry and designs that solve one thing for another - we had a Chinese Junk, after all.

My sentimental favorites:
- Voigtlander Bessa 66, aka Klein Bessa. Uncoated Skopar, speeds to 300, but it has a working auto frame advance stop! Wonderful image quality.
- Kodak Retina IIa - if it used 120 film, I'd stop right there. As it is, a great street camera, I have a wrist strap on mine. The Schneider 50/2 is a very good lens, and gets that old Leica glow Wink Fast to use too. VF could be bigger.

Screw mount bodies, I've not yet experienced the combination of the best. My SP1000 is solid, dependable, well made, good vf... but the Fuji ST605 is petite, has the meter/stop down where I like it, and the weird 700 top speed. I can't see the match needle when I'm way stopped down.

K-mount bodies. KX - a battleship with all the features one could want! But in the end I prefer the Program Plus (daughter does too) with its small size and auto exposure... it's the best camera for use with Takumars I have...

Olympus OM2s - the only cam I used for over 10 years. Very well made and has a ton of usable features. Best thing, it'll auto expose off the film until the batteries run out. Worst thing, the batteries will run out Wink

Yashica Electro GSN, really really good lens, easy to use but it's a battleship. I prefer the Nikon EM, looked down upon but it really delivers the photos, especially with the 50mm E lens.

Oh, I forgot the TLRs. The Yashica Mat 124G is excellent, I love its ease of use with the coupled meter and the crank advance that cocks the shutter. But in the end, I prefer the Ricoh Diacord, with its non standard shutter speeds and all. It just makes a more precisioned impression, and I think the lens is a bit better than the Yashica.

Summary: Bessa 66, Retina IIa, Program Plus, Diacord.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So seems Bessa is better than Yashica. Thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, not so quick, in purely technical terms I'd say the Yashica beats the Bessa.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image quality ?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Precisely. The folders in general are a bit old fashioned and painterly, which actually is a photographic style I like. The TLRs with similar lenses are more precise and modern when it comes to sharpness and detail. In general.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rangefinders :

LEICA M2/3/4

KONICA S2

Yashica LYNK 5000

Canon GIII

SRL

LEICA R4/5/(MINOLTA XD5/11)/6/7/8

NIKON FM2

CANON A1/F1N

CANON FTQL

PENTAX ME SUPER

Spotmatic

fujica st 801

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still love using my Nikon FE and the EL2 is so similar it's also a joy. The Rolliecord II is slow and fiddly to focus but such fun. The Pentax Auto 110 is lovely and compact and discreet, and IQ isn't too bad with ISO 200 - if only Pentax relaunced it with a digital body... I've tried my Zeiss Ikon Nettar and can't get on with it at all which is a shame.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorites of the 35mm SLR's that I own that I use the most:

1. Nikon F3HP, with MD-4.
2. Nikon (black) FA, with MD-15.
3. Nikon N90s, with MB-10. (This is an autofocus camera, but it also has manual focus...).
4. Olympus (chrome) OM-1n, with Winder II.

In that order. All 3 Nikons have the "B" focusing screen installed.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I only have two 35mm cameras, and so it's hard to rank because they are both different: Yashica Electro 35 and Revueflex 3003 (Chinon).

Favorite camera of all time is the Yashica Mat. Simple and sturdy. I'm not sure how the lens sharpness would seem not as good as others, because I've been blown away by its sharpness and color rendition.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glockman99 wrote:

3. Nikon N90s, with MB-10. (This is an autofocus camera, but it also has manual focus...).

I'm familiar with the Nikon F3 group - what a BEAUTIFUL and HIGHLY PRECISIONED camera. A piece of engineering that will never lose its robust luster.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without seeing the result from them yet (based on feeling).

Zenit ET! Sadly, I ripped my first filmroll of.

I like the feeling in all my Yashicas (except for the EE which has a worn focuspoint so it's hard to use the rangefinder):

Yashica J-7 - have one roll in the lab.
Yashica FR-II (only shot 6 images so far... batteries ran out)
Yashica Minister D

Minolta Hi-Matic F - lovely to use on the streets. Have two rolls in the lab.

The Praktica EE2 could be fun but would be better with battery. The "klonk" is a little heavy, seems it's hard to keep the camera still Wink

The Agfa Isolette is cool, but hard to use I think, with the focusing.

The Canon EOS300V is nice, but modern Wink

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
glockman99 wrote:

I'm familiar with the Nikon F3 group - what a BEAUTIFUL and HIGHLY PRECISIONED camera. A piece of engineering that will never lose its robust luster.

I agree...It doesn't get much better (for me anyway) than a F3HP, with a MD-4 motordrive, a 50mm Nikkor lens, and a SB-12 Speedlight...(However, I DO wish that my F3HP had the same high flash sync that my Nikon FA has...1/250th of a sec., rather than the F3's slow 1/80th of a sec.).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just thought I'd bump up this thread so you can all see what you posted the first time around! Smile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't change so much, only reduced the list.

I must change!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Leicaflex SL
2) ... there is no #2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asahi Pentax MX
Asahi Penatx KX
Asahi Pentax ME super
Asahi Pentax Spotmatic F
Minolta Xe-5
Edixa-Mat CL
Praktica Fx-2
Zenit 122
OLympus XA
Rollei 35SE - Sonnar 2,8/40
Minox 35GT
Zeiss Contessa LKE - no batteries 45 years old
Olympus Trip-35
Zeiss Super-Ikonta 4,5x6 531 Tessar-Opton 3,5/75
Voigtländer Bessa I Skopar 3,5/105

Last edited by Helios on Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm late on this one:

Sentimental:
Yashica FR my first new SLR in '83

Automated:

Contax RX Duh?
Contax Aria (lightweight)

RF interchangeable lens

Leica CL (small, slick)

RF Fixed lens

Yashica Electro GS/GT
Yashica Electro CC 1.8/35
Konica S1.6 (IR mostly)

To look super aaa Laughing
Plaubel Makina II polished chrome version(seriously aaa)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:54 am    Post subject: Hard to decide... Reply with quote

I personally love my Nikons but my Fujicas are quite nice also.

No patricular order:

Nikon FE2
Nikon F3HP
Nikon FM2
Fujica ST801
Fujica ST705W
Chinon CM5 (Surprisingly solid and easy to use)
Chinon CM4s (Same for this little tank)

Both the Chinons are built like tanks and can use a wide assortment of lenses. The CM's are K mounted so a lot of good Pentax glass can be used on them. Also the cameras are dirt cheap on ebay, I can bring them anywhere and not worry about damaging them. A replacement on ebay is about 30.00 U.S. THATS WHY THEY MAKE MY LIST!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:47 am    Post subject: favorite film cameras... Reply with quote

Greetings, Forum.

This is my first post on the MF Lenses Forum. I've been lurking about here reading the threads for a couple of weeks now. I have had several "favorite" film cameras over the years and I really resonate with those who have difficulty naming one as the favorite. Here's how I see it.

My favorite camera of all time:
Hasselblad 500c
- It took splendid pictures for me. It is the only camera I ever sold and wished later that I had kept.

If I could keep only one:
Nikon F2
- I bought it new in about 1975. It is the most flexible and satisfying to use photographic instrument I have ever owned. I have a Nikon F also. If I did not have the F2, then the F would be the one I would keep if so constrained.

My favorite 35mm rangefinder:
Leica M3
- When I was young, whippersnappers like myself were excited about the new SLRs and TTL metering. The rangefinder and hand meter were dead, we thought. We were wrong. When I leave the house with pictures in mind, I ask myself "Do I need an SLR to do what I have in mind?" If I don't, I take the rangefinder.

My favorite 35mm folder:
Voigtlander Vito II
- It's the only 35mm folder I ever owned. It's just neat. And that little Tessar-like "Skopar" does a splendid job. I used to put it in my briefcase when I traveled a lot.

My favorite 35 costing less than USD $10:
Nikon L35AF
- It's the only automatic plastic camera I own that I really like. Got it at a yard sale for $1.00. That was because the latch that holds the pop-up flash down had broken. So it killed batteries. I took it apart and fixed the broken plastic latch with super glue and a little judicious filing. Works perfectly ever since. My "Dollar Nikon," I call it.

My favorite "Goofy" camera:
Kiev 4a
- I bought this "Ukrainian Contax" in 2001 just to see what the fuss with "Russian" cameras was all about. At the time I got it for USD $35 with leather case, shipping from Ukraine included. How could I go wrong? It came equipped with a Jupiter 8M 50mm f/2 optic. It takes splendid pictures. It's heavy and solid. I say it's "goofy" because of the "Contax Hold" that one needs to learn in order to use it without blocking the rangefinder window. The viewfinder window is way too small for an old guy with glasses, such as I am. I use a Voigtlander Kontur frameline-only finder to help with the composition. That works. This camera is no match for the M3 mechanically and ergonomically. However, and mysteriously, I find myself drawn to it for some reason. So, I do shoot with it frequently. I am convinced that if one can find a good working sample of an FSU camera, he/she will have a very good and durable camera, and it will take excellent pictures.

Other cameras I also own and find fascinating, but rarely use if at all:
Bolsey Jubilee - A solid little camera made by the guy who made Bolex movie cameras and worked with Alpa.
Ricoh 35s - An interesting and well made little rangefinder from 1957 that has a flip-out rapidwinder on the bottom.
A Kodak Folder - From about the time of WWI, it features a "ball bearing" shutter and a stylus mechanism for making notes on the images.
Rolleiflex Standard - From the early 30s this TLR still works and has a most unusual sports finder. A little concave mirror lets one center his eye precisely when framing. Clever.
Zeiss Ikoflex - Made in the late 30s, this may have been a Zeiss attempt to displace Rollei. But I like Rolleiflex better.
Practica FX - Who says FX is a new term? This is one of those early 50s SLRs that allowed the rangefinder to remain king for a while longer. It lacked the incremental qualities that made the Nikon F successful, to wit: Auto stop-down aperture, instant return mirror, pentaprism finder. Built like a tank, though. Takes good pictures with its coated Zeiss Jena Tessar. Just a very tedious process.

Enough rambling.

Happy day.
Smile

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning Henry, welcome to MFL and I hope you enjoy your time here. I'm looking forward to seeing your contributions.

I've deleted the duplicate post for you. Did you get the Debug Error when you first posted it? This is a bug in the system which we are trying to sort out. Until then, if you do see it don't worry, your message has already been sent so there's no need to send it again. The thing to do is clik the Back button twice (to get back to the thread), and then Refresh. Your message will then be displayed.

Great array of equipment you have! M3 eh? Wink