Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lens for landscapes?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A normal, non-HDR shot with the Hoya at f16, I think this has captured lots of detail and looks sharp everywhere, it will definitely dop while I save my pennies I think. It has also occurred to me a better camera like a NEX might be a more sensible investment before I invest in a stellar lens for landscapes...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
A normal, non-HDR shot with the Hoya at f16, I think this has captured lots of detail and looks sharp everywhere, it will definitely dop while I save my pennies I think. It has also occurred to me a better camera like a NEX might be a more sensible investment before I invest in a stellar lens for landscapes...

or use a film camera Cool

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be honest Ian, I never had a problem with the Canon kit lenses (IS and non-IS), what were you doing to them?! Laughing

The Hoya looks a decent investment, given the price they seem to go for.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its hard to make a really bad 28mm lens, but tbh i think you can do much better than this. try a 'cheap' yashica ml 28 and i think you will see a marked difference.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Af stopped working on both, one stopped communication with the body altogether, the rear plastic mount broke on one when putting it on the camera, one of the lugs snapped off, they were both secondhand, they both rattled and felt like they were very fragile. I can't remember what else broke now but I remember the front coming off one.

Got plenty of film cameras, but they won't do hdr panoramas, will they...

The Hoya is the best of the 28s I have, the others are not as good - Vivitar/Komine 2.8/28, Tamron 2.8/28, Ensinor/Clubman 2.8/28, Pentacon 2.8/28 etc.

I am sure I can find a better 28, what's the Rolleinar 2.8/28 like? Do QBM mount lenses hit infinity on an EOS?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rolleinar more xpensive harder to properly mount than yashica, and not as good imho.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't mind, send me a PM about the Yashicas you have for sale, I might have the budget to afford one next week.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the Meyer Lydith out with me today and I think I underestimated it's quality, it is sharper than I thought and has excellent contrast, I think it's a better performer than the Hoya and a really good lens.

So now whatever I purchase needs to be markedly better (or at least as good and wider) than the Lydith.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

L, sent you PM yesterday per your request.
tony

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serious question, what are you expecting to see from a more expensive lens, than you are getting at the moment? Is it flare resistance, corner to corner sharpness, 3D, bokeh etc.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent question. I want the lens for landscape work so contrast, edge to edge sharpness, performance at infinity, lack of geometric distortion and flare resistance would be the key elements.

I suppose it boils down to something considerably wider than 28mm that has the right qualities for landscape work. The Nikkor 3.5/20 looks like a prime candidate.

I'm happy with the Lydith for the moment, another question now is what would be a more sensible investment - a better camera or a better lens? I think a better camera such as a NEX might be the way to go.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some HDR shots from today with the Lydith.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some great alternatives landscapes/seascapes.

Dunno if this has been said before- although not a >28 wide lens. The Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 40mm f4.5 has a great corner to corner sharpness-and would perform well in stitched panos in my opinion and the Meyer-Optik Gorlitz Primagon 35mm f4.5 for that matter.

Meyer-Optik Gorlitz Primagon 35mm f4.5

Zeiss Jena Tessar 40mm f4.5

Adios

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are wonderful shots, thanks for sharing.

I have a Primagon, a lovely silver one in M42, I like it a lot, it's in superb condition, cost me 33ukp. I will take it out with me tomorrow instead of the Lydith.

I'm not familiar with the 40mm Tessar but I do have a very nice 2.8/50 Tessar 'zebra' in M42, It had occurred to try that one too, but it seems to me to perform better on film that digital.

Primagon:

This is wide open at 4.5, I was surprised by the sharpness wide open so it should be superb stopped down.

Tessar:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ian.

The Primagon I have is an Exakta one that I converted to Sony/Minolta AF and I have come to like it a lot.
I would take the 2 you mentioned and the Lydith. Very Happy . It would be lovely to see some Irish landscapes.

Great lenses-the Tessar too.

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

Btw, it might look like Ireland but it's actually northwest England, the Irish Sea coast of Cumbria, same latitude as Belfast.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

****It would be lovely to see some Irish landscapes***

Ireland is nice, but the scenery in the UK is better.....the UK has 8000 miles of coastline and in land some outstanding scenery, we don't have high mountains though because ours are a few billion years old and have worn away esp with recurring ice ages.

Just one place for the tourist:-
http://www.tintagelcastle.co.uk/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that last lydith is best from your landscape Ian, thanks for showing here

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou IAZA. Do you mean the last set of Lydith pics with the waterfall or the panorama with the Lydith?

Weather is beautiful again today so just about to go out and shoot some more, but today I'm using the Primagon instead of the Lydith.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some shots I took today with the Primagon.

I don't think it's as sharp at min aperture as th Lydith and contrast is noticeably worse, it's also less flare resistant and when viewed through the viewfinder at max aperture for framing you only see a cicular image due to the small max aperture.

All in all, I prefer the Lydith although the Primagon works decently for this kind of work.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Ian

sent you PM re yashicas.
tony

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
****It would be lovely to see some Irish landscapes***

Ireland is nice, but the scenery in the UK is better.....the UK has 8000 miles of coastline and in land some outstanding scenery, we don't have high mountains though because ours are a few billion years old and have worn away esp with recurring ice ages.

Wow spectacular Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathmandu wrote:

Wow spectacular Very Happy[/quote]

Many of the UK population only see a fraction of UK scenery because if you plan a holiday you can't guarantee the weather so millions go abroad, but there is a spate of TV programmes about the UK in the last few years and I'm amazed to see many places I've never been too, and how lovely they look, esp in Scotland.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the credit crunch, people can't afford to go abroad so are coming to places like where I live.

Not a good development in my book, but the economy is so bad here we need all the income we can get.

Some more Primagon shots from today, not bad but I still think the Lydith is better.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For landscapes, you can consider just about any lens these days. A Nikon 80-200mm f4 AIS: