Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lens for landscapes?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with those shots...........24mm lenses seem to being going up and up, a Minolta Rokkor 24mm f2.8 just went for £106 + postage Shocked

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two cheapo 24s to try out, one is FD so I'll probably get rid of that one. The other is in Fujica AX, no idea if an adaptor to EOS is available or whether it will hit infinity. I paid very little for both, sellers had no idea what fittign they were so I gambled.

The Hoya seems to do a good job, colours are very vivid with this lens and the HMC coating seems to do a remarkably good job so contrast it good. I've examined the images closely and I'm happy with the detail so it's sharp enough.

I'll have to keep an eye out for something better than the Hoya that won't be really expensive, a Nikkor sounds like a good bet, I'm tempted by the 20mm Nikkor, nice and wide but not cheap, certainly cheaper than a Flektogon though.

Anyone got any experience of the 20mm Nikkor? I don't even know how many versions it comes in, I'll have to look it up.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a knackered 20/4 Ai, and despite a recent test of mine showing it to be poor, further testing has shown it to be absolutely superb. Sharper than a CZ Flek 20/2.8 in the corners in fact. The Canon FD 20/2.8 is also excellent, but you'd need to do some work to mount it on a Canon EOS.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Graham.

Being a T* lover, just how good are the wide Distagons? Are they worth me saving up till I can afford one?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Cheers Graham.

Being a T* lover, just how good are the wide Distagons? Are they worth me saving up till I can afford one?

They are stunning. Sharp across the frame, great colours, incredible flare resistance and decent pop.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Graham. Don't suppose you have any landscape shots with the Distagon?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for wading into a river to get the shot.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, just wish I hadn't lost some of those shots, there are other nice river spots I might be able to shoot without getting wet though.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Yashica ML 28/2.8 is excellent. Nikons are also excellent, the 24/2.8 is stellar but will need at least £100.00. Flektogons have never really impressed me for landscape (corners never seem to be good).

Best choice? CZ Distagon 28/2.8.

I'm quite interested in the whole thread, but I'd like to react on this - I saw your recent 20mm lenses comparison too.

Flektogons have always been quite renowned and largely suggested - Ian is mentioning that in his first post: please suggest something else than "get a flektogon" Smile
What you're saying is that they are not that good: OK, in low distance and for example for architecture, they're stellar in particular because of their low distortion. But for landscapes and infinity shots, the story is different. That's new to me, and doesn't help me.

Today, for landscapes, I use mainly two options:
- panos - following Tobbsman's fantastic tutorial and advices, I like this exercise. He suggested once to me a 35mm lens as best choice on APS-C for this, but it's a bit too narrow to me
- the Canon kit zoom (18-55 IS), that is quite good optically, but well, plastic, zoom, etc. - I have it since a couple of weeks now, and it's really good, surprisingly for the price - but I realize that I use it mostly at 24mm Wink
- my 28's are not satisfying me

I'd like something else, but I still haven't made my mind... 24mm are definitely my targeted focal length but I don't know which one, and what you're saying about Flek's don't help.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For good performance in corners on FF, both Flektogons (20mm and 35mm) needs to be stopped down to f11 at least.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

***I'd like something else, but I still haven't made my mind... 24mm are definitely my targeted focal length but I don't know which one, and what you're saying about Flek's don't help.***

erm threads like this can confuse because the basic object of photography is forgotten i.e. if you are an amateur it's important that you, your family and friends like your shots, and you don't need expensive lenses to get VG shots. But if you like to be grilled by experts on forums for your shots or try to be in the expert photographer's crowd by buying expensive equipment...... hmmm I suppose that could be a sorta hobby.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to be able to print out my panos at a fairly large size, hence my interest in a really good lens for this work.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I just want to be able to print out my panos at a fairly large size, hence my interest in a really good lens for this work.

erm for panos you have a Pentacon 50mm and you know this lens is very good. Anyway I've used these people for 6X4" prints and will eventually get around to larger sizes......looks like cheap prices to me, click on prices:-

http://www.aldiphotos.co.uk/?CrmAID=34345561

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the Pentacon 1.8/50 is the best of the fifties I have, I prefer the Petri 1.8/55, CZJ Tessar 2.8/50, Helios 44M-4, Pentax-M 2/50, Oly Zuiko 1.8/50, but the Pentacon is a lovely lens too, I also have a very similar Meyer Oreston 1.8/50.

The reason I prefer to use a wider lens is a 50 isn't wide at all on an APS-C camera so I have to take more shots, but I take your point. A 28 with the same level of IQ as the fifties would be nice, I think the Hoya and Lydith are close.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
***I'd like something else, but I still haven't made my mind... 24mm are definitely my targeted focal length but I don't know which one, and what you're saying about Flek's don't help.***

erm threads like this can confuse because the basic object of photography is forgotten i.e. if you are an amateur it's important that you, your family and friends like your shots, and you don't need expensive lenses to get VG shots. But if you like to be grilled by experts on forums for your shots or try to be in the expert photographer's crowd by buying expensive equipment...... hmmm I suppose that could be a sorta hobby.

That's why I don't buy expensive lenses Wink one can discuss about the meaning of expensive that can be highly different from one to the other, but Flek is around the upper limit, that's why I didn't make the move and still worrying a lot...

And you forget one thing: shooting has also to be a pleasure, not just when starring at the picture but also while shooting. "good" gear is part of this pleasure. Using primes is also part of this pleasure. Using MF lenses are part of the pleasure.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ylyad wrote:

I'd like something else, but I still haven't made my mind... 24mm are definitely my targeted focal length but I don't know which one, and what you're saying about Flek's don't help.

I've already mentioned the Nikkor Ais 24/2.8. It's a fantastic lens. I've tested it against two copies of the Tamron Adaptall-2 24/2.5 and a Hoya 24/2.8 and it beat both of them all round the frame. It was better than the Nikon 24/2 in the corners as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
ylyad wrote:

I've already mentioned the Nikkor Ais 24/2.8. It's a fantastic lens. I've tested it against two copies of the Tamron Adaptall-2 24/2.5 and a Hoya 24/2.8 and it beat both of them all round the frame. It was better than the Nikon 24/2 in the corners as well.

I know you mentioned it and it's already on my list Very Happy The SMC-K 24/2.8 used by Tobbsman these days is also on Wink And yes, the Canon EF 24/2.8 too Embarassed

Edit: but as you say in the 20mm thread, the kit zoom is quite good, that does not help justifying the buy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it doesnt seem to me it is up to forum members providing advice on what we know about certain lenses, or classes of lenses, to be called upon to 'justify' purchases for other members. we are providing our thoughts, not presenting legal arguments. only the purchaser can 'justify' what they buy.

as the conversation has shifted to 24mm, i suggest a search of our forum for pictures and other threads featuring the yashica ml, which is outstanding and easily adaptable to canon. when i am trying to 'justify' a purchase, i like both information gathering, but mostly to look at results achieved by others using the equipment. from what ive seen here, the yashica and nikon 24's appear superior to any others.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, justify was not the best word, you're right. Justifying is just my "internal" issue (or let's say family issue) Smile

What I mean is that cheap kit AF zoom is optically nearly as good as prime MF lenses. And thanks to all plastic construction and APS-C specific, nearly as light and compact. But the pleasure of shooting with one versus the other is definitely not the same... Is this worth a couple of euros, or a couple of hundred ones? Everyone has his own answer...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well thats an interesting point. i know a lot of members feel very strongly about precision comparison between lenses and focused analysis of corner sharpness etc, and certainly i think that has its place. my own personal opinion has always been what i see from tne whole image as opposed to parsing each section down and analysing testing shots etc. while i do believe there have been advances in lens construction, and while i also believe new lenses perform better than expected because theyre made to be paired with certain sensors, i tend to prefer the overall image feel from top quality primes. ialso think the limitations of computer monitors as the vehicle for these comparisons is a limiting factor as well, and one that tends to marginalize quality somewhat. but i still think the look of the nikon 24 or yashica ml 24 will, at least to me, beat the pants off the kit lens at 24. again, thats only my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ylyad wrote:

And you forget one thing: shooting has also to be a pleasure, not just when starring at the picture but also while shooting. "good" gear is part of this pleasure. Using primes is also part of this pleasure. Using MF lenses are part of the pleasure.

A pleasure? Not when I'm chasing around trying to get my grandchildren to pose together for a picture to display on the shelf Laughing I should really get an AF camera just for these times. Cool

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just throw another compact excellent lens into the mix allbeit a zoom - Tamron SP 24-48mm f3.5-3.8.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, a nice lens ed, though i hardly ever see them around...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having owned (and thrown away) two copies of the EF-S 18-55 kit lens, I would never, ever buy another plastic crappy Canon lens. Regardless of what it's like optically, it's so cheaply constructed that it's little more than a toy to play with when you first get your camera and won't last very long before it breaks, as both of mine did, just junk.

That is a large part of why I like old MF lenses - metal contruction, good engineering and they last decades rather than months...

I'm fairly happy with this Hoya 2.8/28 for the time being while I save my money for a Nikkor 3.5/20 or a Yashica or Nikkor 24. Ignore the softness of the last two, the focus was slightly off infinity due to operator error...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a better shot to judge the sharpness of the Hoya, I think it's pretty sharp, this is a HDR shot but look at the railings on the lighthouse, looks sharp to me.