Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lens for landscapes?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love a 5D but I doubt my budget would stretch to one.

I can get a good secondhand NEX for 200 or a little less, I think I'm looking at 300 or more for a better EOS.

I don't know anything about the different EOS models, I'll have to read up on them.

I stuck the Canon FL 2.5/35 on a tripod and tried it at F16. Still doesn't hit infinity, I'm buggered now, this lens is never going to work right now I've hacked it. I'll try it for some closeups, all I can use it for.

The Petri 2.8/35 will hit infinity as I converted it in the same way as the 1.8/55 Petri I also have and that works great. I'll test the Petri tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the Canon only fails to reach infinity by a tiny amount:

Which is why, if stopped down it will just about be sharp at infinity, this is at f8:

100% crop:

Sadly the Petri doesn't hit infinity, must be that the M42 adapter I modified to form a mount for this lens is thicker than the one I used for the other Petri conversion I did. Can't modify it again as I've epoxied it in place, stupidly. This is f8:

I'll have to put it on a tripod and try it at f16, see if it will hit infinity.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could get a 30D for £200.00 easily.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

There they are again. Razz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Graham, I'll read up on the 30D.

Hiya woodrim. That street shot is the best infinity test subject for trying out converted lenses, it's like a giant ruler. Boring I know, but I just wanted to see if the Canon did hit infinity at f16.

I'm really annoyed I've buggered up the conversion of the 2.8/35 Petri, if it's as good as the 1.8/55 Petris of the same age I also have, it will be a great lens.

I'm off out now to further test the Canon and Petri, see just what they will do after their hacking.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just having fun with you, Ian. But I really would like to see you get out of the neighborhood more.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, the only shots I've taken in my neighbourhood lately have been a handful the last two days while trying out my conversion work on the Canon and Petri. No point driving into the mountains with those lenses until I know they will work.

I'm off into the mtns now with the Primagon, Canon and Petri to do a 35mm shootout, the Primagon definitely works at infinity, the Canon seems to at min aperture and I;m not at all sure about the Petri...

Wish me luck, I think I'll need it!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could also consider the Nikkor 28-80mm. Great for the mountains because it's so light!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice mountain shots!

I tried the Petri and Canon, sadly neither is that great.

The Petri definitely doesn't hit infinity, even at f16 and produced this very soft image:

The Canon is sharper but still not great:

The Primagon is much sharper:

So out of the seven 35mm lenses I have, four are junk (Aritar, Unistar, Rolmax, Hanimex), two won't hit infinity (Petri and Canon) and only one is good (Primagon).

So it looks like a 35mm Flektogon is on the shopping list. I'll consider other 35s of course but they need to be really good.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you were after a 24mm lens? The Yashica 35/2.8 is very sharp indeed if you are after something longer.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a 20 or 24 is what I want, just saying that eventually I need to get a really good 35mm as none of the ones I have are all that good. The Primagon is sharp and a good lens but the coatings aren't great, the Primagon and Lydith will keep me going while I search for other wide lenses.

I tried all my 28mm lenses and discovered only the Lydith and the Hoya 2.8/28 were good, the rest no so goo; now I've tried all my 35mm lenses I've discovered only the Primagon is good. The Canon is a good lens but the lack of sharpness at infinity rules it out for landscape work.