Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Hello from a new member and a projector lens experiment.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Hello from a new member and a projector lens experiment. Reply with quote

I have been a lurker on this forum for some time now and felt it was time to say hello to you all.
This is my first post. Please tell me if pictures don't show up or something.
I have gotten a lot of help both from the forum and the lens reviews with my foray into the domain of manual lenses.
Vilva's page was an eye opener and inspiration for me on optical experiments with old lenses.
I thought I would share with you my experience with a projector lens I found in the bottom of a box of old lenses I got in a flea market.
At first I was going to give it to my 20 month old son to play with as he is always amused by putting fingerprints on dad's lenses. Before doing so I made a quick search on the net and found a crazy-looking japanese adapting it inside a pentax lens focushelicoid.
Then I decided to test it out. All shots are unprocessed jpgs, only resized and saved for the web. The last picture is made with my pentax k10D and the rest is with a Nikon D300.
Note that it is not a fancy adaption. Just the lens held loose inside a set of extensionrings. Focusing is done by simply moving it back and forth with my hand. Laughing
It was possible to tilt it, but I tried to keep it as straight as I could.

Ok. First is the lens. The Liesegang Patrinast 85mm 2.8.

This is as sharp as it gets wide open. Not impressive of course.

But it has a dreamy bokeh at least.

The lens did have a secret though. Once stopped down with a simple cardboard aparture it started to shine. first the lens with the aparture.

Some flowers.

A 100% crop from the above.

Later I shot some photos with i stopped down even more. I also put the cardborad more flush against the lens to avoid light leaking in. It is obviously uncoated.
Here is the lens now.

Below a 100% crop from those experiments.

Thank you for looking.
/ Jan

Last edited by Wormhandler on Tue May 20, 2008 12:33 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Hello from a new member and a projector lens experiment. Reply with quote

Wormhandler wrote:
I have been a lurker on this forum for some time now and felt it was time to say hello to you all.
This is my first post. Please tell me if pictures don't show up or something.
I have gotten a lot of help both from the forum and the lens reviews with my foray into the domain of manual lenses.
Vilva's page was an eye opener and inspiration for me on optical experiments with old lenses.
I thought I would share with you my experience with a projector lens I found in the bottom of a box of old lenses I got in a flea market.
At first I was going to give it to my 20 month old son to play with as he is always amused by putting fingerprints on dad's lenses. Before doing so I made a quick search on the net and found a crazy-looking japanese adapting it inside a pentax lens focushelicoid.
Then I decided to test it out. All shots are unprocessed jpgs, only resized and saved for the web. The last picture is made with my pentax k10D and the rest is with a Nikon D300.
Note that it is not a fancy adaption. Just the lens held loose inside a set of extensionrings. Focusing is done by simply moving it back and forth with my hand. Laughing
It was possible to tilt it, but I tried to keep it as straight as I could.

Ok. First is the lens. The Liesegang Patrinast 85mm 2.8.
[img]http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/557_LiesegangPatrinast_1.jpg
[/img]
This is as sharp as it gets wide open. Not impressive of course.

But it has a dreamy bokeh at least.

The lens did have a secret though. Once stopped down with a simple cardboard aparture it started to shine. first the lens with the aparture.

Some flowers.

A 100% crop from the above.

Later I shot some photos with i stopped down even more. I also put the cardborad more flush against the lens to avoid light leaking in. It is obviously uncoated.
Here is the lens now.

Below a 100% crop from those experiments.

Thank you for looking.
/ Jan

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard ! Nice to see you here and your excellent samples!

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet pictures. I like the two first best, but I have a sweetspot for pinhole cameras too Wink.

Welcome aboard.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are good comrade!

Suggested you will install the aperture installment to be better

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome Jan
nice shots & nice experiment, 100% crop is super sharp

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome and enjoy your stay!

Nice experiment and an rather unconventional aperture. Wink

I also have experimented with projector lenses. Have a look here:

And these are some results:

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your kind comments and warm welcome.

Yes, I guess I have to work some more on the actual adaption to get a workable setup.
To bad I am never going to be able to produce as beautiful adaptions as you emi007. I really enjoyed your two adaptions you posted.

Lucipictor: That first shot of the flower you posted is truly amazing. Might I ask what lens you used in that setup?

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is the same lens that is shown in the first pic (MC Ennagon 2.8/85 projector lens). Just click on it...

This is what it looks like now:

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, Jan!
Nice pics - that cardboard Waterford Stop is a stroke of inspiration and it's amazing how it's improved the image.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome and what an extraordinary introduction. We are clearly going to enjoy your contributions

patrickh