Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios 44M-4 58/2 - Still Life Panoramas in a Church
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Helios 44M-4 58/2 - Still Life Panoramas in a Church Reply with quote

I found a Helios 44 M 4 58mm/2 lens (in superb condition) yesterday on a Dutch fleemarket. It came with a Zenit Camera, together for 20EURO. I couldn't resist.
My first Russian lens in collection and really imressive first results.

One question: There is no auto/manual apperture blade switch on the lens. I got the apperture blades stock on f 5.6 with pulling a piece of paper between a spring like part. This is not a really satisfying option, so does anybody know how to get work the aperture blades ? Thanks in advance!

- this is all done on f5.6
- all 3 photographes stiched panoramas
- no tripod but leaning on a chair

Cheers
Tobbs

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove the back (sorry I haven't got one at the moment - I think its 4 screws) and the pin. Place a short (1-2mm) plastic sleeve over the pin. It should be a tight fit. I have used PVC insulation from electric cable or the plastic tube which forms part of a "Q-tip". Replace the pin and the back. The pin is now effectively in its depressed state and the lens is stopped down to working aperture - which is controlled directly by the aperture ring.

This a link (maybe more than one) on this site somewhere - with pictures.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Remove the back (sorry I haven't got one at the moment - I think its 4 screws) and the pin. Place a short (1-2mm) plastic sleeve over the pin. It should be a tight fit. I have used PVC insulation from electric cable or the plastic tube which forms part of a "Q-tip". Replace the pin and the back. The pin is now effectively in its depressed state and the lens is stopped down to working aperture - which is controlled directly by the aperture ring.

This a link (maybe more than one) on this site somewhere - with pictures.

Thank you John! Don't know if I understood correctly ...
I was checking for a link concerning this subject, ... didn't really succeed.

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the thread I was thinking about.

http://forum.mflenses.com/helios-44m-manual-no-automatic-t11750.html

It contains a link with a nice set of pictures.

http://chris.stingray.free.fr/Tuto/Modif_H44M4/Pinoche_H44M-4.html

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a picture of how I did it on a Fujinon 50mm f/1.4. The Helios-44M-4 can be modified in the same manner (actually a bit easier, if I recall correctly):

The cut-out hollow plastic tube (from a cotton swab, aka Q-tip) is the white thing inserted on the aperture pin, which is bottom centre in the picture. The procedure is simply to open up the rear of the lens, remove the pin, insert the tube over it (so it won't fit back through the hole, i.e. it'll be locked down), put the pin back, and reassemble.

Edit: Beaten to it while posting this, the above links are much better since they show the whole procedure for this exact lens. =)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Helios lens Reply with quote

Tobias -

I got a very nice "push-pin" M42 to Pentax K adapter from Alex (HK300) on this forum. It does the trick beautifully on a Pentax DSLR. I'm not allowed to use screwdrivers, you see !

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I got it ! Laughing
Great links, thanks for your help.

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tobbs, i like them very much.