Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Guess the lens!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Guess the lens! Reply with quote

I've noticed people getting caught up with the names of the expensive and famous lenses and ignoring the others

Not to say that the big and famous ones arent expensive and famous for a reason or many others Laughing

Can anybody guess what lens gives this output? Is this an expensive lens? or is it one of the €10-20-30 lenses?

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I sell that lens to you? Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is one of Helios 44 ?

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

based on the distortion, flare, contrast & resolution, I guess it is a zoom

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the kind of sharpness - impressive but not crystal - this isn't one of the expensive super lenses. Looks like it gets a bit of veiling when light hits the front element?

I gave up trying to read the lens front from the reflection in the crystal set and glass dolphin Laughing

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of you guys nailed it! Well, kinda.

But should we wait for some more guesses before i let the cat out of the bag?

Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect the zoom guess is correct based on your comment, but I would have guessed a 24mm or 28mm, not thinking zoom. Since it appears you are in Europe somewhere, I won't say Vivitar or Soligor. But if is a zoom, I have no clue. I might have even guessed even a MIR 37mm. Very difficult, isn't it!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm Meyer 135mm f2.8?

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would't be one of your crappy Leica lenses, would it? Laughing like say a 90?

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helios 44 M-4 ?

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots of Heidelberg, a town just a few kilometers from here.
Did your family come to visit? The old bridge is the classic "target" (#1,2)
Very pretty girl btw and good shots!

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some lens without coating and has flare issue, but on the other hand very sharp without CA.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come one people! A few more punches and kicks at what this lens could be!

We have a few brilliant eyes out there who did guess quite closely!

@Spotmatic: Now now! Master of reverse psychology! If I answered that question, this little game would be over wouldn't it! Very Happy

@Karabud: There are so many versions of the H44! Which one would you peg it to be if it were a H44 at all!

@Poilu: Is it necessary that all zooms have issues with distortion, flare, contrast & resolution? Razz

@Nesster: "gave up trying to read the lens front from the reflection in the crystal set and glass dolphin" - you have quite the eye, Sherlock! Very Happy

: "It would't be one of your crappy Leica lenses, would it? Like say a 90?"

you trickster! trying to edge me! Very Happy

@Woodrim: but there were other comments too to which my reply could've been amicable! "Very difficult, isn't it!!!" - exactly why I'm doing this! Very Happy

@Excalibur: whoa! you were so ready to bet on the Meyer 135 2.8! Any particular reason why? Does this output so closely resemble the output of a meyer 135? Razz

@indianadinos: "Helios 44 M-4 ?" - almost famous? Very Happy Razz

@kds315*: Thank you Klaus! I do live in HD and no, didn't have any visitors ... the gentlemen has such expressive faces I had to capture it!

"Very pretty girl btw" - shall let the gf know of the compliment Very Happy

@Tharos: crazy isn't it! Maybe this lens does have a coating Razz

Don't be shy dear friends! Come on and throw some guesses! Though there are people with a brilliant eye, I don't think it's possible for somebody to know each and every lens and this is just for some fun!

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
It would't be one of your crappy Leica lenses, would it? Laughing like say a 90?

could be, the colors are so unsaturated and rendering so flat but I don't think Leica have so much distortion

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those photos remind me of Jupiter-9. Smile

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing a zoom too.

Definitely not Jupiter-9 or Helios-44...!

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it can't be Jupiter-9. Your last photo has hexagon bokeh.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"@Woodrim: but there were other comments too to which my reply could've been amicable! "Very difficult, isn't it!!!" - exactly why I'm doing this!"

Yes, and I approve of the exercise. Any time I've tried it, I've had very little response. I figured people don't like to be wrong - or risk saying something contrary to their previous statements.

There were a couple of shots that I thought might have been from a24mm-35mm lens, but I now back away from that as most pictures seem to compress the background more than a 35mm would. 135mm may be a good guess, but only a guess. I don't think any of us are really good enough to be so sure. I'm still thinking something from the Russian or GDR production. Did you say if any images were cropped? If the flower was a 100% crop, it's not too impressive.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamron zoom, something like 70-210/3.8

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beroflex 80-200/4.5? Smile

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl Zeiss Jena Macro Zoom lens 70-210?

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voytek wrote:
Tamron zoom, something like 70-210/3.8

Actually that's what I first thought, it looks a lot like the 103a

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***@Excalibur: whoa! you were so ready to bet on the Meyer 135 2.8! Any particular reason why? Does this output so closely resemble the output of a meyer 135?***

Well I don't think you are a Canon fd, Konica, or Kiron, Vivitar, Tamron zoom.....type of man, so that just left M42 for my guess.
But you might be Smile so another guess Kiron 80-200mm f4 bought for £3.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
another guess Kiron 80-200mm f4 bought for £3.

That's a fair bet for me, but I'll go for a Vivitar Series 1.

I recognised the Alte Brücke at Heidelberg too! I remember watching the fireworks over the River Neckar from a little downstream of there in 1986.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolar electric 50/1.8 @ Heidelberg?
Mike