Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Goodbye Nikon D70 DSLR, hello Nikon F4s film camera...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:59 pm    Post subject: Goodbye Nikon D70 DSLR, hello Nikon F4s film camera... Reply with quote

Well, tomorrow morning I'm driving up/over to Olympia (WA) to trade my Nikon D70 digital DSLR, lens, etc., for a nice, late-model Nikon F4s film camera (with "extras"). I've always wanted an F4s, as a mate for my pair of Nikon F3HP's, so unless the trade falls-through (which I don't see that happening), I'll finally have one. A nice thing about the F4s is that it has no problem using MF lenses. Smile

Here's to hoping that my old, on it's last leg, 1994 Ford Tempo will make it up there and back without falling apart on the highway.Very Happy.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing COOL! I look forward you trade!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dann, didn't you buy that digital Nikon recently?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

Actually, I traded a Nikon 180mm f/2.8 MF AI lens for it about 5? weeks ago to Seymore. Then, I traded a Nikkor 35mm f/2.8 AI lens and $115 for the Nikkor 18-70mm lens a couple weeks ago, that went away with the D70 this morning.

I just found that I'm really not a "digital camera type of guy". Perhaps I AM a dinosaur, as I do like film and 35mm Nikon pro cameras...LOL...

BTW...The Nikon F4s is DA BOMB!! I am VERY pleased with it, eventho it is big & heavy. And, the F4s DOES like manual focus lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pro film camera with pro slide still better choice than any DSLR for me too.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you meter light with the F4s using manual Nikkors?
WIth my F70, I can't.
Also, I have (or better said, used to have) some problem mounting some of the pre-AIs.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friend of mine has an FE2 that is used as a paperweight. Shame, as it appeals to me despite being a Canon guy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
WIth my F70, I can't.
Also, I have (or better said, used to have) some problem mounting some of the pre-AIs.

Yup, the F4s will meter with any Nikon lens....After-all, it IS a professional camera (and it feels so). The non-metering with manual lenses thing with the D70 is one of the reasons why I traded mine away...That, and digital just doesn't have the "soul" and anticipation that film has.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

I had the chance to try and handle a F4.... its well built , looks complex , but i think it is a very good camera.

i like film as well and not going digital , i mean i'll maybe try one day when the "full frame" will be cheaper... cos now its Shocked meh

anyway good pictures with your F4.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
WIth my F70, I can't.

Orio, The only reason I bought my F4 three years back was because of its ability to meter with the maximum number of MF Nikkor lenses. This is only one of the two bodies that can do matrix metering with MF nikkors (apart from FA) and the only AF body. Even the Pre-AI lenses meter with F4 (stop down center-weighted). The following lenses are the only exception that cannot be mounted an/or used with F4 (from the F4 manual):

1. All 8mm/8
2. 16mm/3.5 (sl#272281-290000)
3. 28/3.5 (sl#301011-999999) This is the Pre-AI version and surprisingly this works with my FE2 but not F4
4. 35mm/1.4 (sl#385001-400000) All pre/Non AI
5. All 55/1.2 - Again this works with my FE2 and not F4
6. All Old type reflex nikkor 1000/6.3
7. All 21mm/4
8. All old type PC nikkor 35/3.5

Quote:
I had the chance to try and handle a F4.... its well built , looks complex , but i think it is a very good camera.

On the contrary it is really not that complex with retro style dial controls rather that buttons.

All the controls are natural if you are accustom to use old style SLRs.

Quote:
Well, tomorrow morning I'm driving up/over to Olympia (WA) to trade my Nikon D70 digital DSLR, lens, etc., for a nice, late-model Nikon F4s film camera (with "extras"). I've always wanted an F4s, as a mate for my pair of Nikon F3HP's, so unless the trade falls-through (which I don't see that happening), I'll finally have one. A nice thing about the F4s is that it has no problem using MF lenses.

Here's to hoping that my old, on it's last leg, 1994 Ford Tempo will make it up there and back without falling apart on the highway..

Congratulations and welcome to the club. Once you get accustom to the body, there are quite a few accessories that you would want to get. I have over the last year gathered quite a few very important accessories for the F4s. You might want to consider:

- MB20 battery pack- makes the camera much lighter and is suitable if you do not require the fast fps and carrying the camera for a long time. I personally never use it as i find the heft of the F4s the main reason for buying it. The MB20 is mainly used by my wife Smile

- Focussing screens E, J & K. I use the J & K with the MF nikkors extensively. I think either of them are a must if you are using MF lenses.

- MF23 data back... amazing piece of equipment... need to use it to believe its potential... auto bracketing, freeze focus, interval timer just to name a few. This is my latest acquisition and am still learning to get it right.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shiladitya wrote:
Quote:
Well, tomorrow morning I'm driving up/over to Olympia (WA) to trade my Nikon D70 digital DSLR, lens, etc., for a nice, late-model Nikon F4s film camera (with "extras"). I've always wanted an F4s, as a mate for my pair of Nikon F3HP's, so unless the trade falls-through (which I don't see that happening), I'll finally have one. A nice thing about the F4s is that it has no problem using MF lenses.

Here's to hoping that my old, on it's last leg, 1994 Ford Tempo will make it up there and back without falling apart on the highway..

Congratulations and welcome to the club. Once you get accustom to the body, there are quite a few accessories that you would want to get. I have over the last year gathered quite a few very important accessories for the F4s. You might want to consider:

- MB20 battery pack- makes the camera much lighter and is suitable if you do not require the fast fps and carrying the camera for a long time. I personally never use it as i find the heft of the F4s the main reason for buying it. The MB20 is mainly used by my wife Smile

- Focussing screens E, J & K. I use the J & K with the MF nikkors extensively. I think either of them are a must if you are using MF lenses.

- MF23 data back... amazing piece of equipment... need to use it to believe its potential... auto bracketing, freeze focus, interval timer just to name a few. This is my latest acquisition and am still learning to get it right.

In the trade I made, along with the F4s MB21, I also received a (unused) MB20, but like you, I will be leaving the MB21 on the camera, with the MB20 spending its' time in my "photo stuff drawer".

Also in this trade, along with the standard F4 focusing screen, I received the "E" & "K" screens. After I get past my "playing with my new F4s stage" I'm going to install the "E" screen, as I like the gridlines it has.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a great deal you have got.

BTW you should change the signature to include the F4s Smile ... F3HP, FA and F4...what a formidable combo. I think you have the best three bodies Nikon ever made.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shiladitya wrote:

BTW you should change the signature to include the F4s Smile ... F3HP, FA and F4...what a formidable combo. I think you have the best three bodies Nikon ever made.

Thanks for the heads-up. I just now changed my signature.

Also, in your list, you forgot to mention the F2A...That IS the best camera that Nikon ever made IMO...(I wish I still had the one I owned back in the late 1970's.).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymore wrote:
Orio wrote:

Yes, he traded with me for it, and I'm extremely disappointed! I wasn't even given the option of buying it back! Hmmmmmph! After all, this was my FIRST digi-bod and I bought it brand-spanking-new in 04'! This was/is the only high-end gear I've ever bought new. Since then everything has been bought used and completely functional.

Well, I can now only hope that I'm contacted by an owner sometime down the line as I hid my email addy (for security reasons) in a few choice locations on the body. But I'm sure someone will enjoy using that bod.

Dann... Dann... Dann... Sad

With all I had into the D70, (including the 18-70mm lens, extra Nikon battery, 2gb Sandisk card, Magic Lantern book, 3 screen protectors, lens hood...All "extras" I bought), I'd have had to ask at-least $425 for it-all, and I didn't think you'd want to go that much $ to get your OLD (45K shutter actuations) camera back, as well as for a lens that you already have. And then, I'd have had to look for a Nikon F4s to buy anyhow, so a trade was better for me, as the F4s I ended-up with is perfect, and came with some nice "extras". Smile

As far as those little tags inside areas of the camera, I did remove ALL of 'em just before I traded the camera...Sorry. Razz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymore wrote:

Well, I've seen F4s's go for ~$250-300.

Bought mine for little more than 100€ - but then I took advantage of the weeks immediately after the D3 release, when used F4 prices went into a dramatic dive thanks to the "must sell my film bodies at any price to finance a FF digital" frenzy.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymore wrote:
glockman99 wrote:
With all I had into the D70, (including the 18-70mm lens, extra Nikon battery, 2gb Sandisk card, Magic Lantern book, 3 screen protectors, lens hood...All "extras" I bought), I'd have had to ask at-least $425 for it-all, and I didn't think you'd want to go that much $ to get your OLD (45K shutter actuations) camera back, as well as for a lens that you already have. And then, I'd have had to look for a Nikon F4s to buy anyhow, so a trade was better for me, as the F4s I ended-up with is perfect, and came with some nice "extras". Smile

As far as those little tags inside areas of the camera, I did remove ALL of 'em just before I traded the camera...Sorry. Razz

Well, I've seen F4s's go for ~$250-300. But it's OK. I was just giving you grief with that last rant anyhow. Now you have to save up to get your film processed again. Wink

OH, and the body had 54k shutter trips on it. When it's rated for 100k it's just reached middle age at this point, and there's no mid-life-crisis with cameras... just their users. Laughing

And I doubt you found ALL the tags. There were a few I didn't tell you about. Cool

...F4s for $250-$300?...Yah, early model beaters...LOL...(And not with all the "extras" I got with mine.). Keep in-mind that the F4s is a professional-grade camera, so the good ones usually don't come cheap.

Yah, I am going to have to pay to see my photos now, as well as wait for the processing & printing...But to me, its' worth it, as I like the anticipation, and I KNOW that I take GOOD photos anyhow Cool, so I don't NEED the instant feedback that digital provides.

...54K?...Dang, it was worse than I thought...LOL... Razz
...And middle-age?...I'm way beyond THAT...LOL... Laughing

And as far as the tags go? Yup, I found 'em ALL...(Unless you tore INSIDE of the camera body to place a few.).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sevo wrote:
Seymore wrote:

Well, I've seen F4s's go for ~$250-300.

Bought mine for little more than 100€

What is that in USA money?...Also, did you receive a (brand-new) MB20 battery grip (as well as the standard MB21 F4s battery grip), and a (like-new) Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AF lens, 2 extra focusing screens ("E" & "K"), and 8 rolls of slide film, with your (late model, in excellent condition), F4s?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glockman99 wrote:
Sevo wrote:

What is that in USA money?

18 months ago? I guess about $130. Bare F4s body in good shape, professionally used in studio, no former press camera.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sevo wrote:
glockman99 wrote:
Sevo wrote:

What is that in USA money?

18 months ago? I guess about $130. Bare F4s body in good shape, professionally used in studio, no former press camera.

It looks like you got a REALLY good buy. Cool

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has always been like that with the pro models - when a new one is released, the ones about two generations back are turned in for discounts, and the pro camera shops suddenly sit on a deluge of used gear too big to sell on to used dealers immediately. The year the F4 was released I stocked up on F2's, which went into a similar dive back then.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own an F2 that's probably a good 37 or 38 years old now, but still works perfectly, but I've recently been thinking about adding another pro body to my collection. I've owned a couple of F3s, and found them to be good cameras, but the urge now is to try a later model. Seeing how cheap the F5 has become, I was leaning in this direction. I had assumed that it would meter with manual lenses as well. Is this not the case? If not, then I guess I should keep my eyes open for an F4s also. I played around with an F4 briefly right after it was released, and my only recollection about the camera was that it was big -- big like my F2 with the MD1/MB2 combination.

My recollections about the used market situation after the F4 was released are different. I was living in Southern California at the time, and was a frequent seller at the local camera shows and swap meets. As I recall, after the F4 was released, there was a glut on the used market of F3s. F2 owners weren't quick at all to let go of their clean examples, knowing already their value as Nikon's last hand-assembled mechanical camera. Other regions of the US and other countries may obviously have seen different market circumstances. I can only report the way things were in Southern California and immediate environs back then.

Best,
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Goodbye Nikon D70 DSLR, hello Nikon F4s film camera... Reply with quote

Good luck.. I won't feel so out of place having given up a Canon 10D to concentrate on he EOS 1-n RS, the Nikon 4's great rival!

Doug

glockman99 wrote:
Well, tomorrow morning I'm driving up/over to Olympia (WA) to trade my Nikon D70 digital DSLR, lens, etc., for a nice, late-model Nikon F4s film camera (with "extras"). I've always wanted an F4s, as a mate for my pair of Nikon F3HP's, so unless the trade falls-through (which I don't see that happening), I'll finally have one. A nice thing about the F4s is that it has no problem using MF lenses. Smile

Here's to hoping that my old, on it's last leg, 1994 Ford Tempo will make it up there and back without falling apart on the highway.Very Happy.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an F4 I picked up for 200.00 USD with a 24-120mm AF Nikkor lens.
It's a nice camera and I feel I got a good deal on it. I may be looking to put it on the bay. I havent decided yet.

Heres my F4.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Friend of mine has an FE2 that is used as a paperweight. Shame, as it appeals to me despite being a Canon guy.

The FE2 is much more than a paperweight. It's a nice camera and will hold its own with the best of the them.

It's a shame your friend is letting such a nice camera go to waste. I'll be happy to take it off his hands.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiralcity wrote:
I have an F4 I picked up for 200.00 USD with a 24-120mm AF Nikkor lens.
It's a nice camera and I feel I got a good deal on it. I may be looking to put it on the bay. I havent decided yet.

Heres my F4.

"I may be looking to put it on the bay"...Is there something about the F4s that you don't like? If interested, I have a nice Nikon FA (black body) with MD15, a Tokina 35-105mm f/3.5-4.3 AIS lens, a Tokina 70-210mm f/4-5.6 AIS lens, and a Nikon SB-15 Speedlight I'd trade you for your F4s & 24-120mm lens.