Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

focus stacking
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: focus stacking Reply with quote

I just searched and had found one thread about focus stacking in this forum: http://forum.mflenses.com/playing-around-with-focus-stacking-t36740,highlight,%2Bfocus+%2Bstacking.html
but possibly there never has been a thread about it here in the Techniques.

I was curious, goggled. Took photos with different focus point and first tried to stack them "manually" but to align them well proved to be quite difficult. Then I found instructions how it can be done automated in Photoshop, it's very simple.

most photos of individual Pen-F lenses in this thread had been taken using this technique, see: http://forum.mflenses.com/pen-f-family-t49342.html
a sample from there, stacked only 3 photos taken with S-M-C f1.8/85 @f1.8

I don't remember where I had found the instructions but had saved this quote:

"Using Photoshop CS4/5
To load your stack into CS4, launch Bridge, select the individual pictures, and go to Tools>Photoshop>Load Files into Photoshop Layers. Or, simply in PS go to File>Scripts >Load Files into Stack>Browse Files>OK. Then once the images are in Photoshop select all image layers (ie: highlight them in the layers pallet on the right) and go to Edit>Auto-Align Layers>OK. Once the pics are aligned, then the second step is Edit>Auto-Blend Layers>Stack Images>OK. Then SAVE the stacked image to TIFF or PSD file. At this stage, I will then crop away any unwanted peripheral misalignment around the edge-border, and also complete any final additional editing that may be required, such as image clean-up, area lightening, mid range dynamics adjustment, selective sharpening, etc"

I hope somebody will find this interesting,
best greetings,
andreas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, this is great advice for macro shooters.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Thanks, this is great advice for macro shooters.

yes, great for Macro.
I wanted maximum background blur / subject separation and therefore used the lens wide open, I'd think that for Macro one usually would stop down.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Focus stacking has gotten THE technique for serious macro fans all over the world. Most use ZERENE STACKER and some also use automated stepper systems (COGNISYS STACKSHOT for examplethat automatically perform the needed steps + shots (high resolution macro sometimes needs several 100 shots).

But for beginners, what you did + PS is certainly a good start!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Focus Stacking Reply with quote

I am new to this board, but I am very much into focus stacking for many years. KDS315 (Klaus in the post above) and I are old friends. I am the mentor for the Close-up/Macro forum on NikonGear.com, but this forum looks fun too.

I have a number of free e-books on macro and focus stacking here:

http://macrostop.com/

Look forward to meeting you folks here. Michael

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michael, and welcome! Smile

Last edited by DigiChromeEd on Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Link Reply with quote

Not sure what the problem is.

The site is:

MacroStop.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you very much Klaus and Michael for your important input.
Certainly the photoshop method is just for first experiments for the casual user, it's very easy. Therefore, after your comment Klaus i first thought that I better renamed my thread to: "beginner's focus stacking" or "simple focus stacking in photoshop". But you mentioning what the pros use make this thread also useful for those interested in serious work, the title stays.
And much more so after the link you provided Michael! What an amazing collection of very detailed tutorials on Macro photography, including focus stacking. Even after only a short peak I can confidently say the best I have seen on this topic by a margin! Congratulations on your great site and thank you very much for providing the link to your free tutorials which should be featured somewhere more prominently and which btw. works fine for me.
Most welcome to the forum Michael, looking forward to you sharing more of your expertise and photos.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having trouble posting this image, and example of the kind of close-up I tend to like.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome Michael
impressive books collection Shocked
don't forget to put the link in your signature

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Focus Stacking Reply with quote

Michael Erlewine wrote:
I am new to this board, but I am very much into focus stacking for many years. KDS315 (Klaus in the post above) and I are old friends. I am the mentor for the Close-up/Macro forum on NikonGear.com, but this forum looks fun too.

First time members have links/images blocked (as a security measure for our forums here...), it shoudl work now.

This is an excellent resource Michael and we're glad to have you here, as I know you and your excellent macro work from nikongear!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Focus Stacking Reply with quote

Michael Erlewine wrote:

Welcome Michael! Many thanks to join us!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to mflenses Michael Very Happy

Your books look interesting, I'll have a look at some this week.